Author Topic: Home Improvement Projects  (Read 30399 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Home Improvement Projects
« Reply #135 on: November 8, 2010, 01:18 PM »
finally got around to taking some After pics of the Master Bedroom project.

BEFORE (painted over wallpaper....I hate painted wallpaper....)

DURING

AFTER (that's not wallpaper on the accent wall...hand stencilled by my wife.  And we built the headboard...)

BEFORE (note faux painted fireplace and wetbar in closet.  yes...wetbar.)

DURING

AFTER (with a proper closet installed)

Headboard construction
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 8, 2010, 01:56 PM »
And we finished the kid's upstairs bath last month....just a couple of weekends on that, some paint, and clawfoot shower retrofit.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #137 on: November 8, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Nice work Name!

I recently finished a minor project.  Cora had chewed up the drywall in the window seat in our front window.  I decided to replace the window sil with wood instead of the drywall sil that was there.  My neighbor talked me into just covering it with extra wood slats from our hardwood floors.  I went one better and purchased an extra piece of stair nose that matched.  Cut the wood to fit, glued them together and viola....instant window sil!

I'll post some pictures soon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 8, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Personally I'd have stuck with the wet bar in the closet idea.  All it really needed was a draught tap.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: November 8, 2010, 11:58 PM »
I love that woodwork in that house, and nice that you didn't change anything around the fireplace...  It's gorgeous, really.

Wetbar in the closet though?  Too weird.  Never seen anything like it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 9, 2010, 12:17 PM »
Personally I'd have stuck with the wet bar in the closet idea.  All it really needed was a draught tap.

My daughter thought it would be a great place for us to brush our teeth at night.

What was especially strange was that they didn't have it tapped in to the main sewer line for the house.  the drain just went up under the front porch and dumped out into the earth floor below.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 9, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Ha!  :D  I love home-done reno's when people really don't give a crap. 

At our old house the previous owner had one of his buddies install a natural gas line for his bbq outside.  Totally not to code and it even had a water tap handle to turn the gas on and off  :o  Miraculous that the only damage the guy did was to the siding from the bbq being up against it and melting it when it was hot.  He's sooooooooo lucky he didn't blow his ass up. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: November 9, 2010, 03:48 PM »
At my gf's house the walls are flush with the trim in the living room, and some of the window ledges were just pieces of small trim tacked down...  People just do dumb **** when they're renovating.  Hell, her bedroom door swings open against the light switch, so you have to come in, shut the door, then turn the light on.  *shrugs*
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2011, 09:07 PM »
Starting up a new project this weekend.  The wife has tasked me with putting down hardwood flooring (which I have never done) and re-doing the base boards in one of our rooms.  Going to re-paint the room first though since everything is out of it.  Makes for a much easier time painting when there's no carpet to worry about spilling on and no base boards to tape.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2011, 12:19 AM »
Yeah, I need to post some progress pics...started building my daughter's window bench/toy storage a couple of weekends ago.  Almost done.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Starting up a new project this weekend.  The wife has tasked me with putting down hardwood flooring (which I have never done) and re-doing the base boards in one of our rooms.  Going to re-paint the room first though since everything is out of it.  Makes for a much easier time painting when there's no carpet to worry about spilling on and no base boards to tape.

We did that in our Master BR over the Christmas break.  Tore up the carpet, baseboards, repainted, new furniture, laminated wood floor planks, put in wider baseboards, added molding to the walls.  I will post before and after pics when I get a chance.  Good luck!
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2011, 02:33 AM »
Paul's update inspired me to post...  I'm not really bothering to photograph this, but I'm doing an insert-shelf in an interior wall that I had here that had needed some patch work anyway.  Its intent will be a set shelf just for my loose vintage figures.

Basically I just cut the drywall away to make it square between studs, and built a box that'll insert into the wall.  Box is in, I'm just needing to shim it and screw it to the interior studs and it's basically done except adding glass shelves and glass doors.  I'll have to have those cut whenever I have the time/money.  The hardware alone is more than I figured it'd be, which sort of sucks, and I'm having trouble finding brass at the local hardware stores which is what I'd prefer.

Anyway, it matches my built-in desk in my office/collection room that I finished last year...  3 shelves still need built above the desk, attached to the wall...  I've had a bunch of other junk going on though here and at my gf's, so I'm juggling a lot of projects at one time unfortunately and keep having to walk away from my shelving projects, haha.

Cool thing though was that this insert shelf was my first time using a shelving jig I got before the holidays last year from Rockler, and also first time using my Kreg Pockethole Jig.  I'm now wondering how I lived without that little bugger.  I love it, and highly recommend buying.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2011, 08:27 PM »
I want to see a picture. I need some ideas to steal.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2011, 08:35 PM »
When it's wrapped up, i'll try snapping a photo of it for you paul.  It's pretty simple though, just an interior wall removed, a box inserted, and then basically what ammounts to a "picture frame" around the outside to cover the gap between the box and wall studs.  Really simple, just watch out for pipes/wiring while you're breaking through the wall really.

I bought a shelving Jig at Rockler last year as I noted, and it basically is just a guide (with a special drill bit) to drill peg holes into the wood in even steps on both sides so you can adjust shelves to how you desire.  You have to buy then the little plugs to go into the holes that hold shelves.  I'm having glass cut and beveled for my shelves so if I decide to mount an LED light or something, it'll shine down through. 

I picked up brass hardware then to do glass doors, like on a stereo cabinet or something, and that I'll have cut/beveled when I do the shelves as well. 

I just used pine/whitewood to do the box, and I had to box out around an electric line that goes to a light switch in the room.  The switch plate I removed and put one I got at Hot Topic on clearance of the ANH Movie Poster.

I'm working on the frame for the outside now when i have time, and will add the glass then once the frame's done.

The pocket hole jig is a Kreg Jig.  Worth every red cent.  I have the mini...  There's a mid-size I want though with clamps built on.  They're pricey (the mini isn't though), but worth it if you're doing ANY kind of wood work IMO.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2011, 12:46 PM »
I finally got around to taking pics of my son's room that we finished months ago.

Not much in the way of "before" pics....just the original paint colors and some experiment colors that we didn't go with.

Tracing projections for later painting

Painting sillouhettes

Finished products

Had wanted to share my vintage toys that I had as a kid, but didn't want them torn up.  This was the perfect solution.