Author Topic: Home Improvement Projects  (Read 30153 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Home Improvement Projects
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Wow!  Great work!  I can see doing something similar to Colin's room in a few years...although right now he's just being introduced to Winnie the Pooh.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2011, 02:23 PM »
What a wonderful star wars kids room! I love the character shadows on the walls. Its a great use of the vintage ships. I did something simular to the old star wars office ceiling. I used stick on glow in the dark stars instead. Same great effect.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Great Job on Mac's room!!  Love the ceiling and it silhouettes.  Justin has Chris' childhood X-wing and TIE-Fighter hanging from his ceiling too!
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2011, 11:40 PM »
My wife and I are finally getting to renovations inside the house. 

I must say that we have been in our house for five years now and have done almost nothing, except for repaint the dining room and kitchen and fix up my daughter's room.  We have slapped some paint through our living room but it still honestly looks like crap.  We've been spending all our extra money paying off stuff so we are just about to the point we can renovate without having to go into debt.  Woohoo!!!  Yea us!!! 

We finally got our bedroom colors together and bought paint, bedding, and lamps.  Next week we will paint the bedroom white with a blue accent wall.  With all of the new furniture we have, that should make the room look really good until we take out a sliding glass door that used to be the door to the porch from the master bedroom.  The previous owner enclosed the porch to make a sunroom, that I've since repainted, put down padded flooring and made it into my daughter's playroom (of course it was my weight room before she was born). 

After we finish the bedroom, we are repainting the living room, taking out a half french door that opens into the playroom and possibly building an arch there.  Then we will install some recessed lighting, rebuild that window valance at the front of the room, repaint the walls (including brick), new mantle, and that should just about finish out that room.  Once that is finished, we get to install new carpet throughout the house.  But, that looks to be a little into the future as we don't want to charge this crap up on the credit cards.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Good luck on the renovations!  My husband and I love home improvement projects.

Once that is finished, we get to install new carpet throughout the house.  But, that looks to be a little into the future as we don't want to charge this crap up on the credit cards.

We had that dream once upon a time.  Then the kids started walking and eventually playing outside and try as I might the carpets just get trashed.  We are considering laminate in their rooms and waiting on new carpet for the common areas......
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2011, 08:47 PM »
So before the holidays I installed a waterheater...  That was a learning experience, a pain in the ass, and not fun.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2011, 11:19 PM »
So before the holidays I installed a waterheater...  That was a learning experience, a pain in the ass, and not fun.

Good to know.  When I replace ours I'll just get Home Depot to do it.

Recently, as in the last few months, my wife and I finished painting and "remodeling" our bedroom.  We didn't really do anything beyond paint, new furniture, and replace drapes (still trying to decide on a new set). 

I also replaced a rusted out P-trap today.  Other than that, I've been too busy with school work and teaching new stuff at work to do much on the house.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2011, 11:28 PM »
I should rephrase it that it was a pain in the ass for ME.  In a normal home, say one built within the last 100 years, probably not as big an issue Chris. ;)

Seriously though, these things aren't standardized in terms of size, so in older homes where they are now is maybe not where they should be, and when you get a new one you have the joy of replumbing because it's now 6" higher or something dumb like that.

Weighing the costs involved, I think if you can afford to just have it delivered and installed that's cool...  I don't like plumbing even though I'm so-so at it (my dad is horrible at it, and he invented words because he ran out of known vulgarity anytime we plumbed when I was younger), but this thing should've just been a matter of plugging it in, and rehooking up the hoses to the tank...  Unfortunately I had to redo the vent, the plumbing, and find a whole new f'n spot for it, because it was basically 6" too tall now from where the old one was placed.

Albeit the old one was put in a pretty, well, simply, retarded spot underneath a support beam where there wasn't much wiggle room to begin with.

It just kind of kicked off a ****storm of things I've dealt with since around the start of December to now...  some I'm still dealing with.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2011, 12:05 PM »
With all that work, you should of just went whole hog and installed a tankless system. They are expensive but you get unlimited hot water and lower gas bills.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2011, 01:24 PM »
That's a whole other ball of wax ultimately, and it's a lot more expensive...  what I wound up doing was only the cost of a new tank, so in a cost comparison situation it was just better that way.

It was definitely a lot of work though, all thanks to them constantly changing size/dimensions, and whoever the knob was that installed the last one putting it in probably the worst spot they could have.

New one is pretty perfect where it is, incase of future emergencies.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2011, 03:59 PM »
The other ****** thing is that they don't make water heaters like they used to,  you'll be lucky to get 6 years out of one

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2011, 01:12 AM »
Yeah hers kicked over after 6 or 7 about...  I believe 2004 was the date on it, and I think she got it after the hurricane that ripped through left her area flooded.  The kicker was where it was situated in the first place though...  Just absolutely no room for "growth", and unfortunately the same size tank was physically larger due to extra insulation/efficiency stuff.

I lay most of the blame on whoever installed the last one then because under a beam and up against the center chimney is just all kinds of bad news.

I now feel as though I'm an expert on these bastards though!  It's always nice to have something else under your belt.  I just still hate plumbing though.  I can do it, but it's really a pain.  The old neighbor helped me with it though because he's a plumber by trade and has a nice torch rig.  Better than using a hand bottle/torch for sure.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2012, 11:49 PM »
My wife and I have been talking about having an in-ground pool kit installed in our backyard.  The web-site we've been looking at states that other than the excavation, homeowners can do the work themselves.  Has anyone done this before?  If so, how hard was it?  What advice/tips can you give to someone who's never attempted anything like this before?  Really hoping to get some good guidance on what to expect/avoid if we try this ourselves.  Thanks.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2012, 11:53 PM »
That sounds trickier than I think I'd want involved in...  Good luck with it IAS. 

I just took my gf's above-ground out of her back yard so I can put a detached deck out back.  With the 107 heat index we've had for a while and it only now cooling down to mid or high 80's though, I've got that little project on hold and it's just a barren wasteland out back now.

I found a pool to be a pain, but the kids had kind of outgrown using it much too, so I didn't see the point anymore.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50 AM »
I am also planning a small, simple detached deck for my girlfriend's back yard.  This will be a simple 8'x10' rectangle.  We want it to have the ability to be moved.

I consider myself pretty handy, but I would never tackle an in-ground pool!  I helped my friend's parents put up their above ground many years ago and that was a ton of work.  Can't imagine how complicated an in-ground pool is!