Author Topic: Terminator (Aliens, Predator, Etc.)... 4" Scale.  (Read 63945 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Terminator (Aliens, Predator, Etc.)... 4" Scale.
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Eric, I have Wave I (I still need Wave II though).

They're more close to a Gundam, in that they build a super articulated figure, and they're fragile like a Gundam is.  They are cool though and 4" scale...  Very great detailed sculpts, ok for accessories (well, the Preds were anyway, and the humans look good).

They have:

-2 ball/socket shoulders
-2 ball/socket elbows
-2 ball/socket wrists
-2 ball/socket hips
-2 ball/socket knees
-2 ball/socket ankles
-1 ball/socket torso
-1 ball/socket neck

Every joint's held together via an hourglass pin...  They are prone to falling apart when posing them but nothing too major.  They hold poses and stuff pretty well.

Sculpts are unmatched by anyone, including McFarlane's attempts...  They're great.  Real skull necklaces on the preds, it's cool.

The humans look BETTER articulated by my eyes, and maybe better constructed.  I must have the Marines and Ripley series, plus the "Aliens" aliens look amazing.  They got the costume of the alien down right for that film, while the AvP ones are down right for that film...  Nice eyes for detail they have instead of just re-issuing S1
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2006, 08:48 PM »
Holy crap.  Wow.  Amazing  :o

These figures are so cool!  I picked up some of Series I and II from Serpant on eBay.  Excellent figures, the detail is phenominal.  The articulation is good, but I wish they were a bit sturdier.  Still, as Jesse said, they hold their poses well and the parts fit together easily (with a little bit of heating).  I wish these were avaible in the States for a decent price.  I would really like to pick up one or two a week from my local comic shop. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2006, 12:29 AM »
What I find amazing, and this is the type of crap taht annoys me about US Toys, is that these things are really the kind of thing in Asia you'd be able to buy just on the checkout line at the local store...  They're like candy bars or something.

US toy manufacturers are moving this way but Hasbro's so stuck in their ways...  Asian toys are a whole other bag though.  I mean, you get a SA figure at the checkout...  Sure it's blindpacked but it's probably incredibly cheap to purchase overseas. 

I'd kill for snapkit SW figures in the states like these...  Blind pack them, I don't care, they'd be fun to collect and build... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2006, 12:32 AM »
Thanks for the info Jesse.  Now I have another question.  Anyone know how these compare to the Takara Microman figures that came out last year?

I passed on the Predator figures last year and I'm kind of kicking myself now but if these are better than the Takara stuff maybe I'll jump on these.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2006, 03:18 AM »
Sculpts are better than Takara's, but I hear Takara's have better gear/accessories...  From what I've seen they do anyway.  The aliens/preds only come with some weapons like a knife/sheath, arm blades, necklace, backpack, and a pike, and throwing disc...  Not a lot from what I hear compared to the Takara figures.

I've seen the Takara figures though and the sculpts are anime-ish if you ask me.  Not realistic at all.  The Snap Kit Hot Toyz figures are spot-on realism and great painting too.  Paintjobs that blow Hasbro out of the water.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2006, 11:02 AM »
Thanks again, Jesse.

I think I might keep my eyes open for the Predator Takara figs at Wizard World Philly but I'll probably be picking up a couple of these Hot Toys Marines at least.
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Thanks for the info Jesse.  Now I have another question.  Anyone know how these compare to the Takara Microman figures that came out last year?

I passed on the Predator figures last year and I'm kind of kicking myself now but if these are better than the Takara stuff maybe I'll jump on these.

E...

Jesse pretty much said it all.  I have both the Microman and the Takara Predators and Aliens figures and they are both awesome. 

The Microman figures have that distinctive Microman Style, but they are sturdier and they do come with a ton of accessories.  They pose a little bit better because their lims are slightly thinner and therefore there is more room for them to move.

The Takara figures look more "realistic" and are more accurately proportioned.  They come with less accessories, but they still come with very decent accessories (spears, throwing blades, gauntlet-blades, shoulder cannons, animal skull necklace, shin sheath with knife). 

I recommend buying both if you can.  If you want more "realistic" figures, then buy the Takara ones.  If you want cheaper ones, buy the Takara ones (there is an eBay seller selling them for $8 a piece, I and Fritzkrieg have bought from him and he was a very good seller).  If you like the Microman style, want more accessories, and want a sturdier figure, then buy the Microman figures. 

Hope this helps!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2006, 12:38 AM »
Those Marines aren't out yet too btw.  The "Aliens" series is due in June I think I mentioned above but now I forget what I said...  haha.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Ive been looking for the series one for a while.  Anyone know a place online?

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2006, 10:11 PM »
I don't want to post a direct link, but if you search for "hot toys AVP snap kits" and look under the eBay stores, you'll find a guy that has some series 1 and some series 2 for $8 a piece plus shipping.  He's great with communication and he ships very quickly.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2006, 01:37 AM »
Go ahead and post a link, I think we can let it slide (unless I'm told otherwise) this time around.  There's really no other way to get these that I'm aware of...  Unless Robby.jp who sells a number of import things to US folks is able to get these too?

I've never dealt with him, but i know some of our Canucklehead friends have done so to get the RC Astromechs.  He may be a good alternative.

$8 a piece is a buy though, honestly.  I paid $10 each probably, and thought I did well compared to prices I saw elsewhere.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2006, 07:38 AM »
Can anyone also list a breakdown of the waves and who is in them?

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Go ahead and post a link, I think we can let it slide (unless I'm told otherwise) this time around.  There's really no other way to get these that I'm aware of...  Unless Robby.jp who sells a number of import things to US folks is able to get these too?

Okedokee,
Hot Toys AVP snap kits - Alien vs Predator
He's down to about 3 of them as of this post, but I recommend sending him an e-mail.  He was very responsive to me and I'm pretty sure he has more than he lists in his auction (I think this is his second listing of these figures).

Can anyone also list a breakdown of the waves and who is in them?

This is from his eBay auction:
Series 1

Series 2

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2006, 01:08 AM »
The breakdown does NOT include chase figures...  There's a number of rares, usually repaints or exclusive accessories, that were blind packed in S1.  I don't know if S2 ran chases or not.  I don't recall seeing any.

There's also a Hot Toyz exclusive Alien from S1...  The HT exclusive has a white brain inside the head, it's very odd. 

I, out of dumb luck, got a chase alien in my case I ordered of S1.  It's not listed anywhere I've ever seen.  It's a blood red alien.  Veyr weird, and I've never opened/built it.  It's the basic warrior alien though cast in a dark red color, and stands out.

I believe the chase Predator in S1 was the Eldar predator which was re-released as a basic in the S2 wave of figures.  The Alien however, which was the blood red one I have and which as I noted has never been really listed, hasn't seen re-release.  It makes it a real gem to me in that regard. :)

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2006, 07:34 AM »
I finally Got Some Better Pics of the aliens Snap-Kits

Pretty Sweet ;D
Fritzkrieg