Author Topic: Holy Mother of ROTS!  (Read 9565 times)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
Re: Holy Mother of ROTS!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Oooh...

Are those 2-pack cinema scenes on the shelves there? Dooku Vs. Anakin and Sidious Vs. Mace?

I couldn't believe it either, I've posted here, over at RS I started a thread on 1/04/04 about putting together "VS. 2 PACKS" and my god they actually did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I even brought it up to them at SD how much this line was needed, besides GI Joe has had Vs. 2 packs for the longest time.

They could continue this line with the OT too:

Ben/Vader
X-wing/TIE pilots
Biker scout/endor rebel trooper
snowtrooper/hoth rebel trooper
Emperor/Luke
Luke/Vader
Han/Fett
etc. etc.
so many possibilities

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 12:41 AM »
Well they kinda did Ben vs Vader with the two pack already.  Han/Chewie and Luke/Leia weren't vs, but I do like the idea, it's quite cool. 

You'll kill me for saying this, but I'd like to see that Ben/Vader two pack in OTC packaging :o

And so it shall be....
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 08:36 AM »
Yakface.com now has some more pictures of the DISPLAY, including some closer shots of a few items, and some that I don't think could be seen in the RS pics.  A few examples:

BARC Speeder w/Trooper
Basic Figures - Grievous' Bodyguard, Kit Fisto, Yoda, etc
Basic Figures - Padme, Mace, etc.
Dooku vs. Anakin
Mace vs. Sidious
Boga with Obi-Wan

Ok, more at the first link in this post, if interested.  Can't wait for all this stuff :).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 10:00 AM »
I'm much more down on those Vs two packs after having seen them up close

It looks like they are preposed with levers under the platform to make them "fight" and not really cinema scenes at all

I'll be passing on most of this stuff I think.  Just picking up 3-3/4" figures here and there
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 10:10 AM by Scott »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Yeah, while looking at those "versus" packs, it reminded me of that game that came out during the Phantom Menace.  I don't know if anyone remembers it, but I had a family member pick one up on clearance and give it to me as a "throw in" at Christmas.  It basically had Qui Gon fighting Darth Maul, and you put them on these stands, and had handles that you could use to "fight" them, which was basically bashing them together until they fell off.  This looks somewhat similar, only in 3 3/4" scale/form.  In some of the pics you can even see what looks like little "lightsaber" handles that you must hold onto to move the figures back and forth and such.  These might not be nearly as cool as they could have been.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 10:13 AM »
I really don't get the look of the BARC Trooper either...is his armor supposed to glow in the dark?  What purpose would that ever serve?  Or is it green to match the environment they are on

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 10:48 AM »
The Barc trooper looks like he has one pose...sitting. Same for the Obi-Wan that comes with the lizard thing. I guess we're going back to the days of ****** pack-ins. The best pack-in we got with a vehicle, in my opinion, was the Maul with Sith Speeder. That was a decent pack-in figure.

Basically, I'm really excited about alot of the basic figures. Those jedi figures that were action posed in 2002 look really great as normal action figures now (Luminara, Eeoth Koth, Shaak Tii).
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 11:34 AM »
I'm really looking forward to some loose pics!

:P

SilverZ

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 05:12 PM »
Have to agree with Scott's thoughts on being down on the Vs sets now that better pics have come through. I'll add to that the small vehicle collection of the BARC Speeder and Obi-Wan.

I thought we might be getting cool Cinema Scenes with those Vs sets, but it looks like Rock 'Em Sock 'Em semi-robots now. Ah well, they are mostly dupes of regular figures so no big loss.

I guess the stroke of luck with the greatness that appears to be the Collection 2 figures has been counterbalanced by vehicles ruined by play features now. I always hated the ripcord speederbike, and now I have a PT one to loath even more. The figures in both sets look terribly pre-posed and poorly painted. The Boga looked cool in the original loose shot from GH, so that's cool, but in the package it looks like road kill.  :)

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 05:51 PM »
I have to agree.  These things really aren't looking nearly as good as they originally did.  :-\ Maybe I don't really need to be saving up quite as much as I thought for April 2nd.  The collection 2 figs still look great though.  Can't wait!!  ;D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2005, 04:33 PM »
Gah...

I have come to the much too obvious conclusion that there is FAR too much stuff coming out for Episode 3.

I know we've talked about it before in different places, but it really is starting to be SOOOOO much toys that it is becoming overwhelming.   :-\

In April/May we're getting
at LEAST 41 basic figures, as many as 45 ($6 each)
at LEAST 4 deluxe figures, as many as 7 ($10 each)
at LEAST 2 small small vehicles, as many as 4 ($10 each)
at LEAST 4 Mid size ships ($20 each)
at LEAST 2 Large ships ($30 each)
at LEAST 2 Battle Arenas, as many as 3 ($20 each)
at LEAST 1 playset ($30 each)

and that's JUST the Hasbro 3.75" stuff.  If you were to buy 1 of everything, you could end up spending $610 plus tax.  And that's if you only buy 1 of everything, not counting army builders or extras for a carded/loose collector.

If you start to add in the other Hasbro stuff:
at LEAST 37 Attacktix figures
at LEAST 3 Unleashed
at LEAST 6 GH 2-packs
at LEAST 3 12" figures
Lightsabers
etc etc etc

Plus the candy, the Gentle Giant stuff, Master Replicas stuff, etc etc.

I remember a GLUT of crap for episode 1, but at least it was spaced out over the whole summer.  It's just FAR too much stuff in my opinion.  At least FAR too much, FAR too fast.   :-\

It's almost starting to anger me how much stuff I'm going to have to pick up thanks to my OCD, THEN on top of it all, you have to figure out how to get all the TRU/Target/Wal-Mart exclusive figures and exclusive crap...  >:(

I'm supposed to be "enjoying" collecting all this crap, but this "TRU at midnight, Wal-Mart at 6am, Target at 8am to get exclusive figure" crap that is shaping up is starting to really really bug me...

It might just be this "joyous" time of Episde 3 that finally kills my OCD collecting once and for all.  If it breaks my OCD I've enjoyed for the last 10 years, well then "Thanks" in advance to all the Target and TRU marketing jerks out there who thought up the "each store gets an ultra-limited figure" crap.   >:(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2005, 04:49 PM »
Interesting time to bring this up.  My OCD is pretty much at an all time low right now and I look at all of this stuff and go  ::)  Sure, I'll probably eventually get it all but there is no urgency for me.  I've personally found the first 24 at retail and have retained only a dozen thus far.  Some of the rest I want, but I'm not even sure I want them all :-\

Moving some time in the next year is not helping.  I buy some stuff and promptly box it up - yippee ::)  I take little out and what I do I then look at, play with for about 2 minutes and put it in a ziplock baggie.  So much of that stuff is just generally unappealing too.  I'm starting to like the higher end stuff better too (Gentle Giant, etc.) so that's not helping with my Hasbro purchases.

I'm looking forward to being in the US this coming weekend and hopefully having some luck.  I'm as keen on the food products as the toys though, but even at that, what am I going to do with all of it (trust me, I do not need 59 packages of M&M's plus poptarts, skittles and a whack of breakfast cereal - please, no more raisin bran :-X). 

The exclusives are not doing much for me.  I actually liked the Target Vader but 15,000 pieces (only 5000 more than TFV, btw) in a foreign country?  I don't think my luck will be much good here.  Making them in multiples, again in a foreign country is just going to kill me, for the most part.  Maybe I've had it too easy coming across these things lately, but it's beyond frustrating at the moment even comprehending trying to find them.  Anyone want to trade a MOMC Target red chrome Vader for a MOMC non-animated red ARC trooper :P :-\

I'm sure (?) that when it hits, my enthusiasm will increase, or maybe when I've seen the movie.  But right now I'd classify myself as generally apathetic.  Weird, eh?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2005, 04:56 PM »
I've gradually moved away from my OCD (at least as far as SW collecting goes), but I've got to agree with you, Nataku: this is too much, too soon, too fast.  Hasbro cannot possibly think that *any* child out there is going to be able to collect all these figures, either from a financial or overall interest standpoint, and I have a feeling this will be the year that breaks SW toys because either one of two things will happen:

1.  Hasbro will finally see that the collectors are what fuels the line and due to their ongoing spite toward collectors, will say the line is "on hiatus" and essentially cancel it because of the impending overstocking and overproduction of ROTS toys.

or

2.  Collectors will scoff at Hasbro's action feature laden crapfest that is Collection 1 and concentrate on Collection 2, while kids won't touch anything at all from the film except lightsabers (as usual), and sales will be even worse than we already know they will be.  They will plan a whole lot more ROTS stuff for next year, but the line will be killed after the yearly financial statement because "SW performed very poorly for us at retail and we can no longer count on it for income since there will be no more films.  It is with this in mind that we are placing the line on indefinite hold."

Jeez, if us grown adults who actually have access to (some) disposable income are complaining about the breadth of figures being released all at once, how does Hasbro expect kids, who are lucky if they get a 5 dollar a week allowance, to look at all the other stuff in a toy aisle next to a crappy Yoda that spins and say "Oh yeah, I want Yoda."

Let's face it, and begin preparing for it: the ROTS line is the last spasm of a line that Hasbro wants to die, and they're doing their best to help that happen as soon as they can.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Too much stuff... yeah there is a lot, but to me this is spectacular.  Go out with a...

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2005, 05:09 PM »
I'm actually getting pretty underwhelmed myself by a lot of the ROTS product too.

Deluxe, Vs. 2-packs, 99% of the vehicles, and about 50% of the Collection 1 figures are all underwhelming me or simply flat out suck in my opinion.

The other stuff...  Attacktix, GH, etc., etc., etc., etc....  None of it ever appealed to me and I never planned to get any of it.

I'll get deluxe, vs., and that other stuff when it's on clearance, I'm likely to do the same with most of Collection 1, and the vehicles/playsets are destined for that as well.

Off-hand the only bigger-than-basic-figure items I can think that I'll get maybe at full price are the AT-RT (looks to-scale, so that suits me), Greivous' wheel bike, Obi's thingie...  Yoda on the Cancel.  The beasts are to-scale so that's fine, and Greivious' bike looks it too, as does the AT-RT, so those all appeal to me.  I just hope I can make good figures for all those, haha.  Hasbro sure as **** didn't.

The figures are hit and miss...  Some are great, and I'd say it's a far superior offering to E1 or E2's line-ups.  The vehicles leave a lot to be desired though, there's a bit of oversaturation too with all these side toy lines too I believe, but whatever...  It's the last hurrah so I completely expected a blitz like Episode 1 had...  Let it all fly and hope for the best.  Retail will buy it, it's just what effect it has AFTER the E3 hype dies that I worry about.

Will retail be sour on all SW product, even limited lines for collectors?  Eh, it's very possible.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77