Author Topic: Holy Mother of ROTS!  (Read 9599 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Holy Mother of ROTS!
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2005, 05:11 PM »
Yeah CHEWIE, but that's what sucks.

If they could just pace themselves and listen to collectors, they could keep this line going for years, but instead they've decided not to go out with a bang, it's going out with an atomic expolsion of goods that will kill this line.

Nothing I have seen from RotS gives me ANY hope that this line will make it past summer/fall 2006...  :'(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2005, 07:46 PM »
I know exactly what you mean about how they should pace themselves.  I wish they would too, but I can't help but be excited about all of these figures. 

If we are indeed getting 56 this year, I am sure we will get somewhere in the low-mid 30s next year, and I think 2007 will be a revamping of the line combining all 6 films into one toy line, similar to the OTC line.

I just don't think the line will die out as fast as some people are afraid of it doing.  If anything, I think the next few years will be very collector oriented with some fantastic figures.  Yes, the quantity of product will decrease, but I believe we are still in for some fun after ROTS.

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2005, 11:03 PM »
Its been said by myself and others here more than once that it won't be lack of fan interest that kills this...its the retailers

SilverZ

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2005, 11:47 PM »
I’d go one step further up the line and blame Hasbro. They’re the ones selling the big-box stores’ buyers on Collection 1 in droves, and then producing poor quality toys that any reasonable person, upon inspection of the goods, knows is sub-par. The retailers choke on their overorders, and we get the shaft in the long run. Hasbro is apparently incapable of learning from past disasters.

Look at those early Collection 1 figures. They’re poorly painted, have detracting action features, and have an overall cheap feel. Regardless of what is coming later (even by a month) down the line for C1, Walmart and Toys R Us is going to be drowning in those early waves. Same goes for the Deluxe line, which is possibly more abysmal than the Force-Flip era of badness. Those will be clogging pegs for a long time. How ******* familiar.

Hasbro should know by now that the retail buyers are like stupid goldfish; as long as you drop food in their bowl, they’ll keep eating it – until their stomachs explode and they die. Gah!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2005, 12:19 AM »
I’d go one step further up the line and blame Hasbro. They’re the ones selling the big-box stores’ buyers on Collection 1 in droves, and then producing poor quality toys that any reasonable person, upon inspection of the goods, knows is sub-par. The retailers choke on their overorders, and we get the shaft in the long run. Hasbro is apparently incapable of learning from past disasters.

I could not possibly write a better description of what happened with Episode I and II Collection I toys.  We still have Saga/Ep II first 12 figs on the pegs here.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2005, 01:51 AM »
The over abundance of the first waves is totally Hasbro's fault - I agree 100%.  They should limit it somewhat so the same stuff isn't sitting on pegs for a couple of years.

I will say this though - these first waves are far superior to what we got initially with EPI and SAGA.  I have faith that this will be the most popular prequel line.  Plus, look at all the various army-builder Clones to support the line.  Awesome.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2005, 08:10 AM »
Yep, I feel the same way.  There are much more interesting characters with ROTS in the initial waves than Ep 1 and Ep 2.  I do think it is because of all the army builders - Clones, Wookies, Guards, etc.  Plus all the Jedi.  Not to mention some decent major characters like Vader, Chewy, Anakin, and of course Palpatine. 

I really don't think they could have done much better with figure selection.  The figures themselves are pretty decent IMO. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2005, 08:40 AM »
I'm looking forward to this line the most, by far, of any of the prequel lines yet.  The quality of some of the Collection 1 figures is a little disappointing, but like it has been said, still much better than what we've gotten in the past.  Plus, Collection 2 looks great overall, and so does the entire line together.

And, on the other topic, while I'm always happy to get more and more figures, I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed with everything that could be out as well.  Granted, I do understand the standpoint of if they don't release them right away (talking the later numbered figures), we might not see them for awhile because we'll be swimming in the first 24...and also, I don't have to buy them all that first day...but I know a part of me will want to.  Something is just fun about buying that many at once, and then bringing home the bounty and sifting through it.  The only other time I've done that is opening night of AOTC stuff, and that was fun, if a little expensive.  Those issues aside, I would almost just as soon only have the first 24 or so to hunt for that first day, and have the rest trickling in later on.  Between the basic figures, maybe a deluxe or two, the beasts, the various vehicles/ships, and the Unleashed all hitting that day....not to mention other things like books (always enjoy the visual dictionaries), soundtracks, etc....it is more than enough for me to look for personally.  The only thing I've found early is the Galactic Heroes sets, and I'm overjoyed to at least have those bought in advance as it is one less thing to look for in the opening days.  Not that I'm complaining about the product, I'm really looking forward to it all and to April 2nd getting here, but it is becoming a bit overwhelming with everything that is going to be out there.  I'm already trying to figure out what will be easy to pick up later, and what I can delay to soften the financial blow a bit on that first weekend.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Special request, so that I'll know where to spend my cash right off the bat on April 2nd: can someone (Jared, this will probably be your domain since it seems you've gotten nearly all of the initial Collection 1 and Deluxe stuff, but others are encouraged to do so as well) who has the Collection 1 or Deluxe figures do a simple breakdown of each figure and how good/poor they are?  I'm talking about this type of rating:

COLLECTION 1 (examples):
01.  Obi-Wan Kenobi: pure crap
02.  Anakin Skywalker: pure crap
12.  Emperor Palpatine: passable

DELUXE (examples):
01.  Anakin/Vader: passable
02.  Obi-Wan/SBD: pure crap
03.  Grievous: excellent

...and so on and so forth.  Basically, just say whether it's worth picking them up on the first day or whether we should wait and pick them up at our convenience.  Or, apparently, in the case of the Deluxe Obi-Wan, on the inevitable clearance. :)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2005, 11:18 AM »
Hey Jeff - I had a question about your post...

at LEAST 4 deluxe figures, as many as 7 ($10 each)
at LEAST 2 small small vehicles, as many as 4 ($10 each)

Now I'm pretty sure I got a good idea of what the three additional Deluxe figures are, but what is the fourth small vehicle you're referring to?

I thought the Small Vehicles were just:
Barc Speeder
Boga
AT-RT

What's the fourth? Have we seen any pics of it or is it just on a list?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2005, 11:35 AM »
I thought the Small Vehicles were just:
Barc Speeder
Boga
AT-RT

What's the fourth? Have we seen any pics of it or is it just on a list?

It's this one:

Cancell w/Yoda

Most reports all agree that the BARC Speeder and Boga w/Obi-Wan will be available April 2nd (wave 1). 

Then, it gets more complicated.  Some reports say the Cancell w/Yoda is in the cases with the AT-RT, others say it will come later by itself in wave 3.  I don't know if anyone is too sure yet when it is coming out...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Ok, I'll do what I can based on my opinion on what I have so far, all opened and thoroughly inspected and "played with". 

I rate stuff on a 1-10 scale - 10 being VOTC quality based on sculpt and articulation, 1 being terrible.

Collection I

Obi Wan (first) - 6
Anakin (first) - 7
Emperor Palpatine - 8
Darth Vader - 8
Grievous Bodyguard - 7
Mace Windu - 7
Chewbacca - 7
R2D2 - 7

Collection II

Mas Amedda - 9
Chancellor Palpatine - 8
Chopper Droid - 7
Pollis Massan - 8
Bail Organa - 8
C3PO - 9
Count Dooku - 10
Mon Mothma - 8
Shaak Ti - 10
Padme - 9

Hope that is somewhat helpful. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2005, 04:43 PM »
I'll add in my opinions too, based on what I've seen.  I'm in a harsh mood lately, so factor that in. 

Revenge of the Sith - Collection 1, Wave 1 - April 2nd, 2005

III-01 Obi-Wan Kenobi - 6, good sculpt, action feature detracts seriously
III-02 Anakin Skywalker - 6 good sculpt, as above though
III-03 Yoda - 5, hugely long neck, returned to store, waiting on clearance
III-04 Super Battle Droid - 6 ok figure, but have no need
III-05 Chewbacca 6, paint is off, he's too big but it is a nice figure
III-06 Clone Trooper - 8, one action feature away from being a SA clone
III-07 R2-D2 - 5, crappy paint but didn't open so limited
III-08 Grevious’ Bodyguard - 7, neat figure, but returned to store
III-09 General Grevious - 7, better than preview, kept for lightsabers
III-10 Mace Windu - 8, a nice sculpt, the action feature is fun and doesn't detract too much
III-11 Darth Vader - 7, stupid chain, looks thin, but it is Vader
III-12 Emperor Palpatine - 8, action feature impedes minimally, sculpt is good

Revenge of the Sith - Collection 2, Wave 1 - April 2nd, 2005
III-13 Count Dooku - 7, passed on, can't judge fairly
III-14 Chancellor Palpatine - 8, nice sculpt
III-15 Bail Organa 7, looked good, but did not buy
III-16 Plo Koon - 8, nice figure but did not buy
III-17 Battle Droid - 1-10 depending on how much you want more
III-18 C-3PO - 6, ooh, pretty and shiny, piss poor articulation
III-19 Padme Amidala -  ::)
III-20 Agen Kolar - 8, nice figure
III-21 Shaak Ti - 8, nice figure, but I did not buy
III-22 Kit Fisto - 8, only gripe is his coloration doesn't match earlier versions
III-23 Royal Guard - 9, have red, like holster, small blaster, articulation limited
III-24 Mon Mothma -  ::)

I'm trying to stick to my original plan as much as possible, finding stuff down the road loose or clearanced.  I bought and kept Grievous mostly for concerns about light sabers breaking down the road.  Collection 2 (aka no action features) are just plain nicer figures, nothing to detract from them other than a poor sculpt, if it exists.  You can nitpick them easily, but I really like the generally neutral poses, especially on the Jedi. 

BTW, no blue senate guards have been found on Canadian cards yet, seems we're getting all red up here for now. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2005, 04:45 PM »
It's this one:

Cancell w/Yoda

Most reports all agree that the BARC Speeder and Boga w/Obi-Wan will be available April 2nd (wave 1). 

Then, it gets more complicated.  Some reports say the Cancell w/Yoda is in the cases with the AT-RT, others say it will come later by itself in wave 3.  I don't know if anyone is too sure yet when it is coming out...

Jeff

Wow - thanks for clarifying, for some reason I thought the Yoda w/Cancell was a deluxe figure! The CargoBay site over at Starwars.com has this listed as a Deluxe Figure too - I guess that's where I got that idea from - but we all know that sometimes they have bad info...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 04:48 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2005, 05:43 PM »
You must be in a bad mood Morbug, that 3PO is easily the best one ever made.  If you rate it a 6, the others must all be 2s, 3s and 4s.   ;)

Dooku is outstanding... I think you would really like him.   :)