Author Topic: **** UPN- 'Enterprise' cancelled.  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
**** UPN- 'Enterprise' cancelled.
« on: February 3, 2005, 02:52 AM »
'Enterprise' cancelled.

So the show finally starts to get a little better, and Moonves pulls the plug.

It's too bad they're killing it instead of letting it thrive in syndication. UPN didn't arrive here until a few months ago, and I'm sure other markets don't even have it at all.
And Enterprise didn't even reach the magical 100 episodes needed for syndication. (Only 98 at the end of the season.)
I guess the show just doesn't fit in with dreck like 'Kevin Hill'.

Anyway, **** UPN. I expect a bigger fan backlash than what happened to 'Angel' when that got canned. Or maybe no one cares after all.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2005, 02:53 AM by Hasbro's Missing Integrity »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: **** UPN- 'Enterprise' cancelled.
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2005, 03:06 AM »
Chris Berry will care...  :P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2005, 03:23 AM »
It's too bad, because it just started to get good.  But you kind of feel like you do when an old relative dies, it's something you long expected.  Trek has been on its last legs for years now, and maybe a rest is just what it needs.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2005, 03:27 AM »
Maybe now Trek can switch to films exclusively. New ship, new crew, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga nowhere to be seen...  ;)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2005, 09:35 AM »
Enterprise goes the way of the Babylon 5 syndrome. Dull in the begining and slowly gets better towards the end.

Maybe now Trek can switch to films exclusively. New ship, new crew, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga nowhere to be seen... ;)

We shall see.  ;)

Berman: Trek XI To Be Bigger & Better Than Ever

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2005, 12:40 PM »
I actually liked that show. It was the only thing UPN had in the way of a good show. I'd like to see the NEW Star Trek show go to Sci-Fi... The Sci-Fi channel would be more than happy to give it prime time, I'm sure - as they're so desperate they're airing 'Ripley's Believe It or Not'....

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 3, 2005, 12:48 PM »
I watched it, yeah, its not totally unexpected that it would be cancelled.  I really gave it a chance, liked the characters, and saw some great episodes, but its been hard keeping a solid interest in it because of some of the decisions. Archer, though I like the actor and parts of his character, just did so many things out of character of a  Starfleet captain.  I wouldn't be surprised if more people are glad to see this go than are supporting it.  I'd still give it another season, but, whatev.

SilverZ

« Reply #7 on: February 3, 2005, 04:24 PM »
I haven't been a fan of any of the shows since the original series, but I really took a liking to Enterprise recently after abandoning it for under delivering on the great premise right out the gate in the season one. And that song during the credits made me want to slash my wrists. This season seemed to fix a lot of that.

It's a shame since its a good cast with Scott Bakula a real standout, and the stories  are really hitting a bulls eye on what I enjoyed about the original series - character based scifi ideas with a touch of camp and action. Less of the horse**** soap opera garbage that I saw every time I endured the other modern series and the nauseating PC/newage lameness of TNG.

But from what I understand those same tired mentalities were the cornerstone of Ent's first through third seasons, so it's understandable that it's going away. I

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: February 3, 2005, 04:27 PM »

And why do I feel it will be necessary to offer JediMAC a warm glass of shut the hell up in this thread?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: February 3, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Hey, I resent that!  I hate warm milk.   >:(

And I was biting my tongue, and not even going to say anything about Star Trek!   :-*

So please don't make me start now.  But as Star Wars fans, you should all be ashamed of yourselves!  You can't like both.  It's just not allowed.  It's one of the world's greatest rivalries.  You must pick one or the other.  No fence riding here.

But yeah, vintage Star Trek was kinda cool.  I've certainly gained a greater appreciation of it over the years.   :-X   :-[

SilverZ

« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Hey, I resent... BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

You have troubled me for a warm glass of shut the hell up. Congrats!  ;)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2005, 05:52 PM »
UPN is already gay, they want too much money for our cable network to pick them up. I mean, it's UPN, they run 10 hours of ****** programming a week, how much money could they want?!?!

On the other hand, WWE is getting booted from their network, maybe I can stop downloading that show and watch it when it actually airs.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #12 on: February 3, 2005, 08:18 PM »
I read the news in the paper this morning and I'm sad to see Enterprise get killed too early in it's run. Unfortunately, the first two seasons of Enterprise were so similar in plotlines, I mean how many times could Archer get kidnapped? I think that had a lot to do with the attitude towards Enterprise in terms of network execs and the fanbase. It wasn't until the unifying story arc of season 3 that Enterprise began to really get noticed. Season 4 with its 3 episode story arcs has been moving along just nicely.

I read some interesting conjecture in regards to Enterprise in an article about the WWE. As Diddly mentioned, there has been talk about UPN cancelling WWE Smackdown, as well as Spike TV cancelling WWE RAW (really both imply that broadcast contracts would not be renewed at the end of their terms), as both stations are owned by Viacom, the writer of the article suggested moving Enterprise to Spike TV which is trying to get away from it's male-oriented programming. That would be a great idea in my mind. Let UPN cancel Enterprise, give it a few months off, then restart the series on Spike, BUT make it a few years later, closer to the formation of the Federation and I think you'll have a kickass tv series.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2005, 08:23 PM »
I didn't care for this show myself...  That's just me though.  I was more PO'd that Spike took TNG and DS9 (right when they got rights to DS9) and put them on at like 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., when I can't watch them.

The evening timeslots rocked...   >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2005, 09:10 PM »
I didn't care for this show myself...  That's just me though.  I was more PO'd that Spike took TNG and DS9 (right when they got rights to DS9) and put them on at like 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., when I can't watch them.

The evening timeslots rocked...   >:(

*cough*vcr*cough*
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life