Author Topic: Anything give you the willies??  (Read 6335 times)

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
Anything give you the willies??
« on: February 6, 2005, 03:15 AM »
Ok so were there any moments for you that were cringe worthy??
I still cringe at the syringe on the interogation droid, i hate that thing with a passion
Can't stand that luke gets all whiney about ol ben dying but didn't really get to messed up when his good buddy biggs dies.

For empire the only line i hate is Reikens "a death mark is not an easy thing to live with" that for some reason just annoys me

Jedi well it's gotta be the crappy background paintings when jabbas barge blows up and when the magnet comes down to pick up r2 and 3po, with his digital technology you'd think he could have atleast fixed those 2 up????

Anything else give anyone the craps ???
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Anything give you the willies??
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2005, 04:25 PM »
"Jedi Rocks."  Greedo could shoot first from now until the end of time as long as they got rid of that piece of **** song.  To quote the bard Homer (Simpson), "John Williams is rolling over in his grave."  Why they couldn't have just done an "expanded" performance of "Lapti Nek" is beyond me.  Add all the new musicians and background dancers if you want, and while "Lapti Nek" may have sucked, it's "Comfortably Numb" next to "Jedi Rocks."

Oh, and the SE "Hey Kids!  I'm Boba Fett!" moment still makes me groan 8 years after the fact.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2005, 06:35 AM »
-Greedo shooting first...  It never ever will look "right".  The only way that scene will ever be normal or look realistic is if Han cold-bloodedly kills Greedo to not have to pay-up to Jabba.  No ifs, ands, or buts to this.

-The weird disipating (sp?) smoke on the AT-ST that Chewie blows up shooting it with his AT-ST.  ****** effect.

-Luke/Leia's swing that's impossible...  Just don't like that they leave the barge via a means that, unless there's some rigging unknown, it's not possible.  I hate that.

-The "scale" of the Endor Battle...  not that I dislike it, it's a great battle, but to me it's something I wish he would've added many MANY ships to via CGI.  It needs much more clutter. :)

-Enhancing the Stormtrooper bumping his head...  It's a mistake, the "clank" wasn't necessary to actually point it out.  It was better as a hidden joke only dorks knew.

-Sy Snootles in Jedi Rocks...  I liked the puppet.  The rest I kinda like, but the puppet is better than CGI Sy.

-Vader's motioning with no dialogue...  Cut the damn thing out.  It's funny to see from my nerd POV but it's distracting.

-Expand the Yavin battle...  Again, like Endor, I think more ships would do it well.  I'd add some A-Wings, and maybe a couple other ships...  A TIE Bomber or two perhaps.  Just something to expand the battle.

Anyway...

I actually like Riekean's remark, the background art on Jabba's barge (reminds me of the neat details Lucas was once classic for but lacks in the prequals), and stuff like that... 

The magnet I can take or leave...  it is what it is.

To me, most problems came from the SE's and he even fixed the Luke scream one thankfully.  That was atrocious.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Blue_Harvester

• Jedi Initiate
  • Great Googly-Moogly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2005, 12:59 PM »
SW peeves/shudders/and other personally-emotional moments.
==============================================

*) From the first time I saw SW in theaters (1977) to about 1990, I *always*
got a tingle  when the DS blows up. (only the ANH DS)

*) I also got the willies from the IT-O interrogation droid. (In fact, it was that
 one quick image that was in the original trailer that I remember the most while
 waiting for SW to premier)

*) I dont like that you can still easily spot the boom-arm HOLDING UP the IT-O
droid.  It  should have been digitally removed long long ago.

*) SE fixes that I didnt like.
     I *dont* like the new circular rings when the DS's blow up.
     I *dont* like Jabba showing up in Han's docking bay. (Jabba is too powerfull to
       be doing his own dirty-work, and he *certainly* doesnt comply with order
       made by a man who has once double-crossed him (Han). ("Tell Jabba to
       come see me himself...")
     Greedo shouldnt miss.  The first time we see the film, we should feel that
       greedo is a real threat...  When we see him miss (!!!???!!!), all we think
       is that he's just a bumble-fudge, and a joke.  The scene is ruined for every
       subsequent viewing forevermore.

*) "Ex-Squeeze Me"   -- For the most part, I *dont* share everyone's general dis-like of JarJar,
 although I hated this line of dialog.  I *did* hate that Obi-Wan called-him a 'pathetic
 life form' (umm, very UN-jedi-like).  I also didnt like that QuiGon said "I didnt come
 here to free slaves".  Even if he knew he didnt want to take her with him, I still dont
 like that he didnt do more to free her. (OK, so he couldnt 'mind-trick' Watto.  He certainly
 coulda mind-tricked any of the other gajillion scalawag gamblers to offer up enough to
 Watto for him to release (lose) her. 

*) !Midi-Chlorians!

*) I really found it weird that Anakin's PODRADER needed to be hauled into the arena by OXEN.

*) similarly, I always thought STORMTROOPERS riding big-ol dinosaurs was weird (although it
 *WAS* cool to look at.)  I always wondered, Did the StarDestroyers lower the dewbacks down
 to the surface? (cuz they really HAUL-ASS, dont they? ;-) )  Talk about a sweet and sexy (and
 FAST) ride, eh?  Especially when, only later, we see this little invention called A LAND SPEEDER.
 Can you imagine three troopers kicking their dewbacks ("Faster Seabiscuit... Faster..") in
 hot persuit of Luke in his speeder.

*) I also dont like the funky smoke when chewie blows up the other ATST.

*) I found it weird that when Han runs from the bunker, and ducks, the whole
 shield dish (along with a blast radius of maybe 500 yards) is napalmed, but then
 we see Han peek up from like 30 ft away and smiles, like he just watched an
 M80 go off or something.

*) I hated when the Executor crashes into DS-II, and all this fire comes out (from somewhere).
 (maybe it got hit in the gas tank ???)

+) 'spongy' dead jawas (watch the jawa that 3PO throws on the fire when Luke returns
 to Ben in the speeder. - its as light as a feather, and bounces when it hits the fire)

+) about luke getting emotional about BEN dying, (and not Biggs), I just think that Luke
   was thinking of Ben 'as his new dad' or something.  Ben was all that Luke had at that
   point.  It was only later on, that he realized he was part of a bigger thing that
   demanded he 'suck-it-up-soldier'.  In the battle of Yavin, Luke knew, and was prepared
   for losses.

+) In the one joke-sequence where the asteroid nails the bridge of a SD, and the hologram
   'fades-to-black' in front of Vader.. the size and perspective of the asteroid is all
   wrong.

+) I know everyone else thought this was UBER-KEWL... but I seriously DISLIKED Jango's
   'acoustic' bombs.  In fact, I thought this was an editing mistake my first halfdozen
   viewings, and I was pissed at Ben Burt.  I now know this was intentional, but I still
   dont like it.  I mean, if we all want to get ridicuously nerdy about it, we can argue
   that sound doesnt propagate in space, right?  Causing a delay between the flash and
   the boom (one one-thousand... two one-thousand...) is a goofy notion.

+) 'continuity' of EMPIRE to JEDI. (yeah, i know a book or two is supposed to happen
in between films).  Anyway, at the end of EMPIRE, luke basically gets his azz handed
back to him in a sling.  At the opening of JEDI he's all high-n-mighty, can see the
future...yaddayaddayadda.  We know he hasnt been back to visit Yoda.  He must have read
the "Jedi for IDIOTS" book or something.  Han told him to 'dont get cocky'.  At the
beginning of Jedi, for me, he looks *waaay* too cocky.

+) in the same vein, Ive always been confused by one scene... when Luke is confronting
Jabba, and he lifts his hood, and says "You'll bring Solo and the Wookie to me...", he
steps forward, and so do all of Jabbas twerps behind Luke...  Is Luke 'mind-controlling'
these guys? (are they on Luke's side?), or are they acting like Jabbas henchmen, and
stepping up to close-in on Luke?  They seem to be in such 'perfect step' with Luke, I
always saw this as Luke demonstrating a show-of-Jedi-force to Jabba.

*) The universe is a BIIIIIG place...  Epic....  One initial draw of the film, for me anyway,
is that its soooo *f-(bomb)ing immense*... Its MIND-BLOWING immense...  You're filled with
excitement of imagining and seeing whole new worlds, and new cultures, (dont forget us
teenagers at the time all cut our teeth on vintage TREK - that *did* have an influence)
George missed the boat when he failed to totally realize this.  He nailed it right on
with the opening Star Destroyer chasing Leia's ship, and when the Falcon is being tractored
into the DS, and when Vader is chasing our hero's, and we get a close-up view of the SIDE
of a Star Destroyer ('whoa....that *IS* big...').  For me, the BIGNESS of things was
important.  Including the universe...

but then ....

then we find out that ...
   *) Chewbacca is Luke's godfather !?!
   *) Darth Vader is from a little town just outside of MosEisley
    *) Greedo is Vader's long lost boyhood pal.

Sometimes, I think that all of a sudden, a million little plywood children in colorfull
 outfits should all pop out from somewhere, and all start singing, "ITS A SMALL SMALL
 UNIVERSE AFTER ALL...")

Han shot FIRST. Luke threw TWICE. And it was THX-1138 who wasn't at his post on the big screen back in '77. And I first learned that Vader was Luke's dad in the cinemas at the Tampa Bay Mall in 1980.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2005, 09:34 PM »
This is one of those threads that, as a dork, I feel an urge to "explain" things when I disagree with someone's dislike of something in the films, haha.  That kind of **** is what my friends laugh at me about.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2005, 09:29 AM »
Chewie's Tarzan impersonation
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Blue_Harvester

• Jedi Initiate
  • Great Googly-Moogly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2005, 12:38 PM »
Sorry, I didnt mean to come across as too negative (jeezo, we see enough of
that dont we?).  I still think the films are ten times better than any other line
of cinematic fiction (well, maybe the LOTR films are a close second)

I agree, the tarzan yell was another needless yank back to planet earth. 
Amazingly, I meet kids all the time who dont get that joke.  They dont know
what Tarzan's yell is.  (must not be in the latest disney movie I guess).
Han shot FIRST. Luke threw TWICE. And it was THX-1138 who wasn't at his post on the big screen back in '77. And I first learned that Vader was Luke's dad in the cinemas at the Tampa Bay Mall in 1980.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2005, 06:45 PM »
Oh God yes!!
I forgot about that one, there was NO reason for that to be in there at all.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline MeBeJedi

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 02:31 PM »
"Jedi well it's gotta be the crappy background paintings when jabbas barge blows up and when the magnet comes down"

And the Falcon behind Han and Lando.

"I *dont* like the new circular rings when the DS's blow up."

I know someone who is DE-SEing the DVDs, and another person just pointed out that the Anamorphic WOW footage shows the ROTJ DS explosion without the rings. It should be very easy to splice in.  8)

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #9 on: March 7, 2005, 10:29 PM »
Willies: 
Tauntaun guts- yuck!
Shivers:
Qui-Gon getting the saber
Groan:
Chewie's Tarzan yell
Rolling eyes:
Wesa going home!
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 03:41 AM »
I still hate that Lucas replaced Lak Sivrak (wolfman) with that freakin elephant in the SE. I always liked the wolfman.
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 09:31 PM »

Of all the things I've read in this THREAD...this is the one that I had suppressed enough to not even remember...but now I will curl up in the fetal position and rock back and forth from it's mere mention......

Boba Fett's Death was a Cringer....(almost as bad as Greedo shooting first)

The other ROTJ Cringe I got the first time around was the Luke/Leia sibling thing...I spent 4 years in my "Adventures" pretending that Boba Fett was the "Other"...

Offline Aaron_D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 8, 2005, 02:38 AM »
Did I miss it, or has nobody mentioned Leia macking on her brother Luke yet?   :o

Have to agree with the Tarzan Chewie impression too.  Not to mention most everything related to the Ewoks of course.  Fett's flirting with Jabba's dancer was weak, and his pathetic death was definitely willy inducing, just because it was so annoying and lame, followed by that ridiculous burp from the Sarlaac.  The other Burp by the Bubo dog thing too.

Han shooting first is an entirely different story though.  ::)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 4, 2005, 10:36 AM »

I gotta go with this as well. And it gets worse as I get older.

The inserted Jabba scene in ANH also make me cringe becasue the animation is so under-par.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 4, 2005, 12:34 PM »
Vader's helmet in ANH, those sunglass eyes... urgh.

Poking the AT-AT to tumble over after it's head blows up.

Vader traveling from an ISD at the start of ROTJ. They showboated the Executor in TESB, and it has nothing more than a cameo in ROTJ.

Kissing siblings... eeeew...

The newly added Emperor in TESB. He looks wrong head on, too much showing. The original Emperor had that threatening "You can't see me" darkness.

The Emperor's blobs.

Chewie's Tarzan yell.