Author Topic: Official 2005 Movie Thread  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2005 Movie Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 9, 2005, 01:13 PM »
I have some good hopes for Batman Begins the trailers are promising, and theres no way it can be worse than Batman and Robin, or Batman Forever.

Constantine also looked promising, but I don't know much about it. Other than that the trailer was good.

I think it is supposed to be this year, but I'm not sure. Jackson's remake of King Kong. Always loved  the '33 version, and can only hope the man doesn't ruin the great Kong.

If Elijah Wood were to dissapear, I have no problems there.. never liked him or his movies, minus LOTR. In fact I'm surprised he was allowed to be in any movies after Flipper...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 11:40 AM »
So, this weekend I went to see "Million Dollar Baby" because of the Oscar buzz and the fact that I like Eastwood directed movies.

This movie was fantastic.  I don't really want to say anymore because I don't want to wreck it for those that may see it.

So, all I can say is that if you are on the fence on this movie, go see it.  You probably won't regret it (as long at you can handle boxing violence).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 01:06 PM »
We saw a great one too this weekend "Sideways":

Very, Very Funny!

I'd recommend going to see it if you like darker comedies like Election or Rushmore

Premise: Two Buddies go to Wine Country in California the week before the one buddies wedding.  About to be married guy (Dumb Guy from Wings) is looking for one last fling as well as getting a woman for his depressed divorced friend (Paul Giamatti) as well as Golf and Taste a bunch of wine. 

You'll never look at "I lost my wallet" the same way again :)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 01:06 PM by Scott »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 12:47 PM »
New trailer is up for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

So far I'm impressed.  8)

SilverZ

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 03:15 PM »
So psyched to see this not looking to suck. Martin Freeman from The Office should be perfect.

SilverZ

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 10:41 PM »
I had the experience of pissing away 2 hours of my life with a digital screening of Constantine today. I really was let down. Two things bothered me: the movie is a slow plod through familiar territory, and it is constantly hampered by clunky, tired dialog. There’s never a moment in the movie that is downright terrible, but every frame leaves you with the impression that you’ve seen and heard it before, only done with more charisma, momentum, and skill.

I’ve been reading through a lot of reviews since I got home, and I seem to be in the minority – a lot of genre sites seem to really like it.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 01:19 AM »
I think I might soak in Constantine this weekend. My interest is piqued, but the TV spots make it look like a lame-ass horror movie.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2005, 03:30 AM »
Trailer is up for Ring Two

Looks interesting. Considering that I liked the first one, I'll probably check it out. Doesn't look like it was based on the original autor's sequel novel Spiral, but that might actually be a good thing.

This is kind of "The Ring" related...  We just got finished watching The Grudge on DVD.  My question is, what, if any, are the connections between this flick and The Ring?  I obviously ask, 'cause both were originally Japanese, and the main baddie chick looks/acts/crawls nearly identically to that freaky deaky wacko chick in The Ring.

Was it the same writer?  Director?  Any admitting of influence from one to the other?  Did The Ring still come first in Japan?  I watched the commentary and extras on The Grudge, and didn't hear a peep of a mention regarding The Ring.  If that's really the case, then I'd cry foul if I was involved with The Ring, 'cause this thing completely ripped it off, especially with the scary chick, bangs all hangin' in front of her face, stop motion crawling, materializing out of nowhere, etc...  If I didn't know better, I'd have almost thought this was The Ring's sequel, and that it was the same girl (with slightly more Asian eyes).

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 03:53 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2005, 06:32 PM »
I saw "Paper Clips" last night, and then "Hitch" today. 
PC is a documentary about a middle school in Tennessee that collects paper clips for each holocaust victim (6 million).  It was good, but I don't think it needed to be a full length movie.
"Hitch" was actually pretty good.  Just a romantic comedy, good date flick, but I wouldn't buy it on DVD.
I want to see "Sideways" (still!) and "Million Dollar Baby", but will have to do that another weekend.  I've heard they are both really good.
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2005, 10:03 PM »
This is kind of "The Ring" related...  We just got finished watching The Grudge on DVD.  My question is, what, if any, are the connections between this flick and The Ring?

Not a God damn thing.