Author Topic: ROTS carded figures  (Read 61443 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS carded figures
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2004, 02:48 AM »
Can't say that I'm too excited to see the action features making a comeback, but at least they look a little toned down from the Ep. 2 initial release.  The poses all look more neutral as well, so that's a plus.

More rockets on R2?  Battle attack mode?  What's that all about?  Is R2 finally going to kick some ass in Ep. 3?  That should be interesting to see.

Nice to see the SE Clone's body making a comeback too, but I know a lot of people would still love to load up on those with the Ep. 2 version of the Clone as well.  Hopefully Hasbro sees fit to put plenty of both versions out in the future!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Darth Vader Figure
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2004, 08:24 AM »
Galactic Hunter has a nice preview up for the ROTS Darth Vader.  I didn't know if I should start a new thread for this or not, but they do have some very nice carded and loose shots of the figure.  You can check them out at the linky above.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2004, 12:36 PM »
Sexy. Look at that clone, just sitting there waiting to be purchased by me. These toys are looking damned awsome. At least the action features dont involved hemeroid looking booty buttons.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2004, 03:40 PM »
I just wonder if Vader will actually be igniting the lightsaber and slashing at anything in ROTS?

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2004, 08:00 PM »
It's been a long time since I've posted.  My wife had a wonderful baby boy on October 1st, so it's been kinda busy around here.  Personally, I really have no problem with the action features, as long as the figures are not one-pose-wonders.  I still remember the day that all of the E2 prototypes showed up on line.  I have never felt more disapointed as a collector.  It was very tough for me to stomach those first waves of Saga.  They are still my least favorite Star Wars figures of all time.  Yes, I rate them lower than the 1995 steroid  figures.

Anyway, I think that Hasbro has managed to create some very solid, neutral sculpts while creating some extra play value with the slashin' and stuff.  Also (and this one is for you Lando the Scoundrel) I checked out the Saga Dooku with the action feature (activated by pressing his legs togehter) and his legs are movable.  The only thing keeping him from sitting down is his tunic.

So, at this moment, I am very excited about the E3 figures, and think that they might really do well and create some kid interest in SW.  I like the package too.  It doesn't really appeal to my tastes, but I think it's very contemporary and looks like fun.  I can't wait to see Collection 2 (and 3?)

I'll be in first line at Midnight Madness.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2004, 08:01 PM »
It's been a long time since I've posted.  My wife had a wonderful baby boy on October 1st, so it's been kinda busy around here. 

Congrats :)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2004, 12:12 AM »
Thanks for checking on that, Mike! And congratulations again on the baby!

I definitely do like the fact that it seems Hasbro is trying to please us and kids at the same time. I just honestly wonder how much kids like the action features.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2004, 05:51 AM »
Hasbro's at least leaning the right direction. 

I sympathize with all those who disagree iwth action features overall, however I do feel that they're fun when done right.

Case in point (2 really) are the SBD from E2 which I highly enjoyed as a figure, and the Total Control Mace WIndu.  Yeah, I can hear the groans.

I truly wasn't expecting to like that figure, but honestly if they could somehow make a SA version of the character and then a TC version, I'd buy both happily.  The control feature really looked realistic when you play with it, which was neat.  The figure's not attractive, but fun. 

I still say articulation is more favored by children and adults than action features...  Different reasons or purposes as to why each likes them, but to me kids go nuts with poseable figures.  I know G.I. Joe replaced Star Wars damn quick when I was a youngin.

I reiterate Mike's (Congratulations) note on being SO disappointed with the E2 figures initially.  They do rank low to me as well.  I can't think of many beyond the SBD that I actually was pleased with at all really.  :( 

I didn't do any midnight madness thing for E2...  I just went to the local Wal-Mart and they put out TIE Bombers because they're dumb and held them back with the E2 stuff.  I walked out of the store with TIE Bombers and not a single figure that night.

Was a bust opening IMO, and I think Hasbro had major failure with the Saga line in its initial offerings only because they had an appauling buy-back scenario (A couple actually).  VERY negative thing for the line overall.  They made crap product and the retailers forced their hand in remedying that situation.  Ouch!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2004, 02:48 PM »
The Vader and Chewie look....... okay. IMO, they look like cheap VOTC customs. I'll be sticking with my VOTC versions for now, though I may get them at a later date. I just won't be rushing out to buy them.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2004, 01:20 PM »
They all look pretty good to me... the only one that is a little disappointing so far is the Chewbacca - something about the face reminds me of Harry from the Hendersons.

:P

SilverZ

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2004, 05:06 AM »
Hmmm. Take a look at the loose shots of Collection 1 Mace over at GH. This is looking pretty disappointing to me:

- He's short. Or has disproportionatly short legs. Something is wrong.
- The plastic is cheap. No detail and too shiny.
- The articulated arms are just cheap looking after the nice VOTC joints.

I hope we get a proper C2 release, because this is another bad Mace by the look of it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2004, 08:44 AM »
I was just looking at those Mace pics this morning as well, and it is the first figure I've seen in this detail that I am disappointed in.  Something just doesn't look right with him (same points you touched on)...seems short, or the legs do, a shiny look to him, and also while I enjoy the added articulation, his arms look funky to me in places.  Oh well, still better than the AOTC versions we got.  I remember I always used the "deluxe" Mace as my "normal" version, since the basic figures were fairly craptastic.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying these advanced previews that GH has been showing the past week or so.  Nice to get some detailed shots of these figures so early on.  The others we have seen so far (Vader, Chewie, Obi) all look pretty good.  I guess if we're going to have "Collection 1 Action Featured" figures, they have done a good job of incorporating features but still having fairly articulated figures with nice sculpts.  From what we've seen so far, I think I'll be picking them all up...especially the Chewie.  Not quite VOTC quality, but it should be cheaper, and well....its Chewie ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2004, 10:57 AM »
Plan is still to pick up only a few at the start.  Based on the cardback that will include Vader and the clone troopers.  Might pick up a Palpatine early.  Otherwise I'm hoping for cheaper, later.  Maybe a grievous since I don't have a regular release of that, but will try very hard to not buy much.  Must stay on target. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2004, 11:10 AM »
I do agree with that too Brent, and I hope to have more restraint than I did with AOTC.  I pretty much went all out that time (opening day at least), and then regretted a few of the purchases later on.  I guess it depends which figures will be coming later on, and how much better they might be.  This time around, the action featured ones don't look nearly as bad as they did in 2002, so it might be a bit tougher choosing.  I'll know I'll be on board for figures like Chewie, Vader, Palpy, Clones, Yoda, and Grievous/Bodyguards though.  The only one that we've seen up close so far that looks a little craptastic to me is the Mace.  But...there's still a lot more to see. :)

On a side note, if not everyone has seen this yet, but Galactic Hunter had a little larger pic of the cardback up, you can see some of the other figures a little bit better anyways.  Clicky Here

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2004, 11:55 AM »
I dunno,  I think the Mace looks better than any one we have ever gotten of him.  So, it's an improvement to me.

I think he looks a little short maybe because his tunic seems to hang kind of low. 

:P