Author Topic: ROTS carded figures  (Read 61444 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: ROTS carded figures
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2004, 05:37 PM »
These do all look very nice, but am I the only one that feels the selction of characters is redundant of E2?
Out of the 4 preview figures, 12 collection 1 and 12 Collection 2 figures, there are only 6 (Tion, Tarful, Obi-Wan's Droid, Grevious,  his Body Guard and Mon Mothma) NEW characters.  I'm sure there will be plenty of cool things in the flick, but there's just no sign of them here.  It feels like an exact duplicate of the initial Saga waves.

I really wis the Jedi had been slighty armoured up (like Obi-Wan in the cartoon) during the Clone Wars.  It would have made the time when they were at war stand out from their day-to-day clothes.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2004, 06:22 PM »
Pretty cool lineup so far.  So, where are the rest of the Wookiees?  Tarfful hasn't been shown yet (the Preview Wookiee is listed as a Wookiee Warrior) in the lineup.  But I get the feeling we'll be seeing quite a few more new characters come Toy Fair time.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

SilverZ

« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2004, 06:59 PM »
Ooh, that big scan is much more to my liking.  :)

Now that the articulation is much more visible, there's something that concerns me - look at Plo Koon's knees. WTF? Looks sort of like kit-bashed TRU JC parts.  :-\ Ball socket shoulders, however.

Kit looks perfect! Looks like he has good articulation. I can see the concern about the eyes. Isn't the CW version a ballsocket head too? Might be a good potential swap there.

Curious about that 3PO too. Maybe a ballsocket head there, too? Looks like he is pretty standard otherwise, but that's a nice sculpt.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2004, 11:05 PM »
Overall these look very good to me - and that goes for Collection 1 & 2.

The only ones that look to me like they might be turds are the Super Battle Droid and R2D2.

As for being a bit redundant on the figure selection; well if there are redundant characters in the movie then Hasbro is doing the right thing.  Would be interesting to see a few more aliens and background characters though.  In time they will come.

:P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2004, 11:19 PM »
Figs are looking great. I just hope we get a Clone without an action feature.  :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2004, 11:42 PM »
I think they all look for the most part fantastic.  I'm a bit disappointed that Padme is so vanilla considering her other costumes, but then they always do the boring 'action' ones first, so that's ok.  The Jedi are a nice surprise, and all incredible, but I wish there wasn't so much repetition.  I'd like to see new ones myself.  Mon Mothma is a nice surprise, and Dooku will probably be the first one I grab.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2004, 03:26 AM »
Looks promising, but then again, I always seem to think that whenever I see new figures for the first time.  But I'll hope for the best with these.

That C-3PO might just possibly be the SA version we've all wanted for quite a while, but that Hasbro surprisingly failed miserably at delivering during during the VOTC run.

Nice to see all those neutrally sculpted Jedi in there too.  Now if only they had cloth robes to go along with what looks like articulated knees on most of them, we could swap them into our Jedi Council scenes, and finally forgive Hasbro for making us buy all those rehashed crap figures that came in those last 4 horrid sets.

Dare I say it, but does that Chewie look like a ANH/ESB version of the VOTC one that we got (for ROTJ)?  It just looks to be a different hairstyle around his bangs really, which a lot of people have been saying that they'd like to see.  If that's indeed the case, then kudos to Hasbro for that brilliant move!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2004, 05:28 AM »
Very cool all around...  Hasbro's articulation jump has me pretty pumped to see that they're finally taking the line the proper direction.  Took years for it to happen, but they're seeing the light.

I see the point about repetition with all the figures, but part of me is happy to see it too since I was never pleased with the pre-posed figures of E2's run.  Just seeing Shaak Ti neutrally posed is great!  Same with all the other Jedi, so I'll be gladly buying many of these.

Collection 1's nicer than E2's offerings, by far and away, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for Collection 2 versions of Obi, Ani, etc.  I applaud the effort to HIDE the action features though.

I'd say the big stinker of Collection 1 though, ironically, is the Clone.  Something not right about him...  I too am hoping for one using the SA body and not utilizing any action features...  I think that's what is giving it the odder "look" I'm noticing.

The articulation's outstanding on most of the Collection 2 (and many of the Collection 1 figures aren't shappy in this department either).  The neutral stances are great...  Just simply, "Wow!" at this point for me. 

Even Mon Mothma looks interesting.  That's incredible!

I too hope for a red guard variant of the Senate Guards, Scott.  The figure's poseability has to be outstanding (Glad I didn't army build with that crappy POTJ sculpt) to warrant soft goods...  A simple red cloth swap and a new helmet, and you could really have something impressive there.

The Battledroid looks "eh".  I hope he doesn't turn out as pathetically flimsy as past attempts.  :( 

That cardback has the old Star Wars figure senses on overload, but it's good stuff.  MUCH happier with E3's lineup than E2's.  I think we'll see more diversity as time goes too, and many more new characters.  I think the Jedi are just so important they're getting a push, and many of the Council will maybe be meeting prominent fates....  Thus the redos.  Or maybe they're just trying to apologize for E2's? :)

Man, I wanna see Luminara and Barris Collection 2 figures now after seeing Shaak Ti.  OOOOOoooo Nifty.  And Aayla Secura with a normal stance and good articulation! 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2004, 01:16 PM »
Actually the ROTS Chewbacca isn't the VOTC sculpt unfortunately.  Still looks nice though.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2004, 01:20 PM »
I've fallen in love with Collection II, officaly. It rules, on so many levels.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2004, 09:17 AM »
Haven't been online the past few days really, so I'm a little late to the "party" here, but looking at the cardback, Collection 2 looks pretty spiffy.  I don't know if part of it is the giddyness of a new movie coming up, but I'm pretty pumped for the ROTS line so far.  Sure, there are action features, but they don't look too bad so far, and at least aren't ruining the figures this time around.  I'm really hoping for the best with that 3PO, hopefully it is the one we've been waiting for.  Also, the nice, neutral Jedis are great, and the other figures (Padme, Palpy, Dooku, Mon Mothma, etc.) all look very well done.  Actually, both Collection 1 and 2 have looked good to me so far.

Also, I see GH has their preview up for the ROTS Clonetrooper.  The figure looks pretty good to me, and I'm relieved that the action feature doesn't seem to ruin it.  From the loose pictures they have there, it looks like the trooper is still quite poseable, and fits in nicely with the Clone Wars SA Clone and VOTC Stormie.  Still would have been better with no feature at all, but for what it is, it looks nice.  Also, interchangeable shoulder "pads" was a surprise.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2004, 09:18 AM »
Also, if the rumor of 29 figures on launch day is true, we now know of 24 of them for sure.  That would leave 5 others, unless the deluxe ones or something were somehow counted in there.  I'm happy with the initial offerings so far though :).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2004, 09:40 AM »
I guess the repeatability is the thing that bugs me too.  However, with Shaak Ti, Kit Fisto and Agen Kolar/Eeth Koth apology figures and hopefully Barris and Luminara also coming the same way, I can sort of stomach it.

That clone trooper looks alright except at the shoulder joints (which is the same with Obi-Wan and Mace that I saw)  Which is I guess because they want it to be SUper Poseable AND have an action feature.  I'll only buy two of those with the thought that a better one will come down the line.  I guess the brain wizards there thought otherwise

How dumb are they?  Really?  Hey...lets make super posable army builders.  Lets limit 2 of them (AOTC Clone and VOTC Stormtrooper) in production numbers though because they probably won't sell

Anyone ever see Army builders hang on the pegs (besides the SBD which I can't figure out why they are remaking)?  I'm sure these clones will sell too but the addition of the action feature means I don't think it will sell as well as a plain old vanilla SA version would.  Ugh...

MY only hope will be that they do a SA version with paint variences in Collection 2 (along with everything else they are doing in Collection 1 ::))

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2004, 11:11 AM »
Looks pretty good to me.  Yeah I don't like the big shoulders either, but this is a lot better than the Clones we got in the SAGA line!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2004, 12:05 PM »
The more I look at all them they do look pretty good.  It's not like I really "play" with them anyway.  I take them out and kind of look at them on an individual basis and plop them back in the container.  I am working on a display though.  I think these figures will look decent setup next to one another. 

I am actually looking forward to seeing Aayla Secura and Tarful among others that should come out at some point.