Author Topic: 2005 Toy Fair!  (Read 24187 times)

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair 2005 - Feb 19th-23rd
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 05:47 PM »
I'm just really hoping that Hasbro will deliver on one of these larger vehicles.

Me too.

8)

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 05:48 PM »
Sorry, I'm just a tad on the bored (and loony) side right now. ::)

8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 06:20 PM »
The ARC-170's scale is gonna be a huge issue to me.  No excuse not doing it to-scale if they're willing to make the Gunship from last year. 

I'm fearful of any scale cutbacks honestly.

The Mustafar playset I'm intrigued with.  Sets can be something Hasbro could do incredibly well without compromising accuracy/scale.  They need an interlocking (and stackable, in situations) feature but, this could be an area that they excel in.

Vehicles are another story...  While I love when Hasbro does it right (TIE Bomber, Landspeeder), I am so let down when they do it wrong (TIE Fighter, X-Wing, Snowspeeder, Y-Wing, AT-ST)...  The vehicles, in some sense, are like the 12" figures.  They get the shaft as far as the effort put into them and how competitive they are on the shelf next to other toylines.

Most of my top resculpts are classic trilogy vehicles, but the ARC-170's a ship that (if done poorly) I'm sure is gonna make my resculpt list.  To me, it should be to-scale, no pack-ins, and no more than $40 given how many outlets are sure to carry it and its assumed high production #'s.

When you walk into a store and there's a to-scale ME-109, Mustang, or P-38, and then a dinky starfighter next to it, it's a disappointment.  Hasbro needs to "wow!" with this ship in my opinion.  And they can given that not only are they gonna be pushing it through a lot of retailers and making a ton of them, but there's inevitable repaint options for it later.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 07:09 PM »
I agree.

8)

Same here.

Me too.

8)

Sorry, I'm just a tad on the bored (and loony) side right now. ::)

8)

Starwax, would you please start using your "Modify" button when you have multiple, very brief thoughts you wish to add nearly simultaneously.  Please also use it to make edits when you're immediately clarifying or altering something you just said, which I've also seen you doing through multiple posts as well.  We just don't want a bunch of one-liner posts that contribute nothing to the discussions around here, so please try to pick it up a little in the content department.

Thanks.

- Matt
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 04:49 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 10:41 PM »
I don't see the ARC-170 having a scale issue if it's in the same assortment as the Gunship, really, if the preview Starfighter is used as an indicator. It's pretty big and full featured for its 20 dollar price tag, I think. Notch it 10 bucks and we should (dammit, we'd better) get something along the lines of the PFX Xwing in scale.

But there's a lot to cram into that ship for it to be cool. To be done right, it requires movable turrets, cockpits and canopies, S-foils, landing gear, and a gratuitous firing missile feature. That's where I'm worried Hasbro will do its cost-shaving.   

I'm starting to put my money on the Turbo Tank as the big-ticket vehicle for the year. Not that that's what I want, but I'm starting to get this gut feeling Hasbro can't resist the easy design of the ship, with big, cheap wheels, and the opportunity to slap a motor in it and make it an RC vehicle. As a generic toy it is probably more appealing than an AT-TE will ever be. I can imagine kids being thrilled to drive a big-ass tank around the Christmas tree, knocking over clone armies, more than I can envision them playing with an AT-TE, not matter how cool we collectors think the design is. The play factor goes to the TT, no doubt.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 10:43 PM by Tydirium »

SilverZ

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 12:42 AM »

Well, there it is. Meh.

Looks good to me.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 12:44 AM »

Why is VOTC Vader in there?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 01:23 AM »
Cuz he's the ****, that's why. :)

Uhm, or maybe a stand-in for something?  i dunno.  That's weird.

Anyway,

we should (dammit, we'd better) get something along the lines of the PFX Xwing in scale.

That's what I'm actually worried about Jared.  :(  The FX X-Wing was a good bit smaller than a to-scale one would be so it disappoints me...  It used to not actually, but as time has worn on and I've gotten a P-47 Fighter that IS 1:18, I just looka t the X-Wing with disappointment.  :(

I can't tell by those pics how big the toy is, nor how big the actual ship SHOULD be.  I guess it's something I may not know till I get some diagram book giving the length of it, or something "official" about the ARC-170 comes out.  Something of the pic from Hasbro makes me say it's small, but I dunno...  It's a tough one to eyeball.

The pics are looking nice though...  VOTC Vader's probably there as their tour guide.  Then they get used to being figure greatness and all that. ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 07:24 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2005, 02:37 AM »

Well, there it is. Meh.

Geez, it looks down right lame to me.  But it's tough to really judge it by this picture.  We'll see I guess, I hope I'm wrong.

SilverZ

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 03:43 AM »
I can definitely see where you're coming from now, Jesse. If you're shooting for true scale on the hero ships they're not going to match up. But from the little pic there, the ship does look bigger than the Jedi ships, so feasibly should fit figures in both front and rear compartments, and that will be just fine for me. But just to add some further doubt, the OS description says this:

The mighty Incom/Subpro Aggressive ReConnaissance starfighter (ARC-170) has an impressive wingspan of 22.85 meters, is armed with two medium laser cannons, two aft blaster cannons, six proton torpedoes and carries a crew of three plus an astromech droid.

Fits four figures? Hmmm, probably not.

That must be  the Ep3 Vader, right? He's supposed to have soft goods, and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't 90% VOTC parts, just like the "Wookiee Rage" Chewbacca.

I’m stuck buying that playset now, since it seems to come with Obi and Vader figures, dammit. They sort of look like they are Vs. figures, like the Anakin/Dooku set. I smell suck happening here.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2005, 03:53 AM »
Why is there a door leading into a base of a volcano? It seems that would be the last place one would want to be during an eruption.

I'll probably buy it anyway.  :P
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2005, 04:35 AM »
Hee.   Mustafar Playset: Includes Obi Wan and DARTH VADER.  Hee.    ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2005, 05:04 AM »
Are you reading that off the box, Darb?  If so, nice catch!  I can't really make it out on my crappy laptop screen here.  Definitely seems like that puts the nail in that issue, that Scott speculated on a couple months ago, IIRC...

Gotta agree the thing looks kinda goofy though.  I think it's the plastic silly-string looking pink lava that makes it suck so bad.  Looks terrible.  Hopefully it'll be better in person though...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2005, 07:30 AM »
A 50" wingspan is my estimation (rough) on a "true-scale" ARC Fighter then.  :(

I'm gonna make a big guess at "no" on that one then...  4 figures?  I think it'd be amazing if it held 2 actually.

This looks to be SEVERELY underscaled.  I'm not surprised, but given how wingspan's collapsable in packaging, it's a crock of **** that it isn't to-scale.  No reason it can't be...  My P-38's HUGE, and was around $50.

The only packaging bulk would be the hull...  I'm kinda on a downer now.  Oh well.

Good figures, ****-tacular ships.  50/50's a better rate than what the 3.75" line was doing this time 3 years ago. :)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2005, 08:06 AM »
Well guys and gals I think we are seeing here why Hasbro does not make more playsets.  Sorry, but it just looks a little blah to me.  Maybe it does something cool that we don't know of but by looking at that picture I am not impressed.  Not sure what I was hoping for but not that. 

I think the ARC ship looks really nice.  I just like the look of that vehicle from the ROTS pictures regardless.  I will try to get that I think. 

The figures look pretty nice loose.  Looking forward to more pics and info later.