Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005  (Read 88299 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005
« Reply #615 on: July 7, 2005, 12:31 AM »
This had better be the end of all this arguing.  The negativity distracted my team so bad they turned in a whopping 4 points this evening.

Hey, we're all taking a break here dude!  A cooling off period, if you will...  So what are you doing in here besides abusing your mod powers?!  :P

By the way, "Dressle Jr.", your name is mispelled...  :-X

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 7, 2005, 01:02 AM »
I didn't even realize the thread was locked when I posted....  Whoops.

Okay, cooling down (even though I was only joking above) commencing.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #617 on: July 8, 2005, 01:33 PM »
Alright, let's see if we can take another (more civil) stab at this one.  I know there's been some PMs exchanged behind the scenes over the last day or so, and there's definitely still an outstanding issue or two that's been left unresolved (like Jason's locked team).  So hopefully you guys can all reach some dimplomatic solutions to your qualms in here, in a mature and somewhat respectful manner.  Hopefully...  :-\

Good luck.

- M
« Last Edit: July 8, 2005, 01:34 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 8, 2005, 02:35 PM »
Alright, I am going to unlock HoloElvis' team now too - this way when I win my 2nd consecutive title there won't be an asterisk next to it because 1 team wasn't allowed to finish.

;)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 8, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Thanks Matt.  

Ok, for next season I'd like to take issue with the scoring of the pitching.  Please understand and appreciate this is in no way an implication of cheating on anyone's part, just that now that I've been through part of the season, I see problems with the scoring system.  I fully acknowledge I could have made comments at the start of the season (though I didn't know how it worked so was unable to and ill-informed).  

Take a look at my pitching if you will, or at least a part of it:

Chris Carpenter, Cardinals.  13-4, 3 complete game shutouts, 2.51 ERA, 1.07 WHIP.  If he keeps it up, he's a decent shot at the Cy Young.

B.J. Ryan, Orioles.  1-2, 2.58 ERA, 18 saves.  A decent relief pitcher.  

Trevor Hoffman, Padres.  0-4, 3.56 ERA, 24 saves.  A darn good relief pitcher.  

Here's the point totals on the season, not factoring in losses:
Carpenter 145
Ryan         122
Hoffman    111

I believe if you factor in the losses, Carpenter ends up at the bottom of that list pointwise.  I'd like to ask where the logic is for that?  I understand the scoring of the system, that's not what I'm asking.  I'm asking if realistically you were a manager in baseball, which of those three pitchers would you value more this season?  If you were trading for one of those guys, who would you want.  It's Carpenter, clearly, so for next season we need to address the over-valuation of RP positions.  

I've spent some time looking over everyone's point totals and staffing.  There are at least five guys with a legitimate shot at this thing except for one factor.  The over-valuation of the RP and the fact that relatively few of us understood that at the start of the season.  I'll happily grant you the scoring system was laid out at the start and there's no valid argument for changing it this year.  But I'll also question if it was entirely fair given the number of us that haven't played fantasy baseball before.  I knew I needed to RP's but didn't know, nor was it explained to me that the SP/RP position is more valuable than just an SP with Cy Young potential.  Error by omission if nothing else.  I think the SP/RP factor is going to decide the winner rather than the best overall team.  I'll live with that this year even though I find it disappointing.  We should fix that for next year, although I guess if everyone is aware of it, it will be less of a factor since the prime SP/RP guys should be the first 4-6 picks in round one and that will be the end of it.

I'm also going to stick my nose where it doesn't belong and suggest that we all act more civily.  It's not my place or job to say so, but I did notice that HE was -6 last night.  Could that have been changed if his roster was not frozen?  If so, then I think we have a real problem here.  It is my opinion that personal differences, no matter how real or imagined they be should not have an impact on someone's active roster during the season.  I don't care if someone is insulting your mother, my mother or we have the same mother, it shouldn't be impacting the league.  Talk smack all you want about someone's team but I'm going to be forthright with my opinion, locking Elvis' team was not fair or proper.  I don't necessarily condone what Elvis said in this thread, but I really do think his I'm done is totally subject to interpretation and locking his team was an error.  I took it in an entirely different context when he said I'm done and even indicated as much.  [adding by edit: thanks for unlocking Elvis' team commish, I'll leave my comments though because I don't believe in going back and changing comments after the fact.  I stand by what I say.

I'm done, I've said my piece.  If I've offended anyone, I apologize up front.  I believe I only specifically singled out Dressel and only for the locking of Elvis' team, nothing more.  Please do not interpret my comments on the SP/RP issue as a personal attack on anyone, it is not.  It is a commentary on what I see as a flaw in the scoring system for this season.  As we are halfway through it is not practical to, nor am I suggesting to, change it for this season.  
« Last Edit: July 8, 2005, 02:40 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 8, 2005, 02:46 PM »
Well, I really wanna let this all go now, but responding to Morgbug, Elvis' team was locked because he said, "I'm done, enjoy playing with yourself."  That clearly indicates he quit the league, not the argument.  There is no doubt about that.  Furthermore, last time he made such a comment he sprayed the league with his stars and seriously disrupted the balance in the football league in doing so.  It was only a quick-acting reasonable Scott who locked him before he could do more damage, and readjusted the rosters.  It is for those 2 reasons he was locked.  Looking at his roster for yesterday, it does not appear that his score would have changed much if any, were he in control of his team.  In fact, if you look at the way his lineup was set, there weren't really any possible moves he'd have made for yesterday at all.  His hitters didn't hit a lick yesterday plus Bartolo Colon got hammered for a -13.

Okay  :D
« Last Edit: July 8, 2005, 02:48 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 8, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Enjoy playing with yourself Dressel.  I'm done. 

Despite what he claims after the fact, this quote is irrefutable - he quit the league.  Why would I be playing "with myself" if that were not what he meant?  Surely you saw this Morgbug.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #622 on: July 8, 2005, 02:55 PM »
OK, so we're off to a decent start here, I think.

Jason's team is unlocked, if not a day late.  Maybe he intended to quit, maybe not.  We'll probably never know.  He and Dressel will obviously still disagree on some things, but hopefully we won't have to rehash all that again.

Brent's pointed out that the point system may need to be re-evaluated going into next season, especially as it relates to RPs (as Jason had already discussed here).  Looks like most folks didn't fully realize the value of RPs this time through.  Sounds fair enough.

...because he said, "I'm done, enjoy playing with yourself."

Maybe he was perhaps referring to masturbation...?  :-X
« Last Edit: July 8, 2005, 02:56 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 8, 2005, 02:59 PM »
Maybe.  But as you've taught me, you don't have to start a pitcher.  He may have looked at the opposing team, had some insight into how Colon was feeling and benched him :-*  That would have put him +7 by not starting him.  Will that make a difference at the end of the year?  Probably not, but ya never know.

I'm really starting to see that SP is for the most part a useless position.  Byrd pitched 6 2/3 innings for me the other day, didn't get a loss but still ended up losing points because of a subpar performance (now is that ****** pitching or lousy defense behind him?).  

There are guys I'll start because I think they have better than average odds of winning every game they pitch - Carpenter, Johnson if he keeps coming around and Eaton when he comes back.  The rest are pretty much pointless.  Even those guys, with the current scoring system, unless I really think they have a shot, I'm better off benching.  

And if I've figured that out, everyone else should have by now as well :P

As for playing with yourself, uh-uh, for that to happen you'd have to be doing what Matt said or you'd have to can the other teams.  Otherwise you wouldn't be playing with yourself, you'd be "playing in your league".  Surely I saw it?  Nope, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and look at the context of the comment.  I had the advantage of not being the subject of the comment, so was able to look at it objectively, something difficult to do after being openly called an *******.  My interpretation was and remains that he was done with the conversation, not the league.  But that's just my opinion and I clearly will not be swaying your opinion, something I'm not trying to do.  Just trying to show my interpretation and opinion.   

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 8, 2005, 03:06 PM »

...because he said, "I'm done, enjoy playing with yourself."

Maybe he was perhaps referring to masturbation...?  :-X

Yeah probably, but how unreasonable of a request would that have been?  :-X

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #625 on: July 8, 2005, 03:16 PM »
As for playing with yourself, uh-uh, for that to happen you'd have to be doing what Matt said or you'd have to can the other teams.  Otherwise you wouldn't be playing with yourself, you'd be "playing in your league".  Surely I saw it?  Nope, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and look at the context of the comment.  I had the advantage of not being the subject of the comment, so was able to look at it objectively, something difficult to do after being openly called an *******.  My interpretation was and remains that he was done with the conversation, not the league.  But that's just my opinion and I clearly will not be swaying your opinion, something I'm not trying to do.  Just trying to show my interpretation and opinion.

I actually took Jason's comment the opposite way from Brent, if that helps balance anything out here.  ;)  Not that I would've locked it though...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 8, 2005, 03:19 PM »
LMAO. Too much.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 8, 2005, 03:21 PM »

I actually took Jason's comment the opposite way from Brent, if that helps balance anything out here.  ;)  Not that I would've locked it though...

Maybe it's a Canadian versus American thing?  You guys are all too ready to convict someone and bomb the hell out of them right away, Canadians are too lame and just want to talk.   :-*

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 8, 2005, 03:25 PM »

Maybe it's a Canadian versus American thing?  You guys are all too ready to convict someone and bomb the hell out of them right away, Canadians are too lame and just want to talk.   :-*

No blasters!!  No blasters!!
No politics!!  No politics!!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #629 on: July 8, 2005, 03:26 PM »
Canadians are pussies. (everyone says so:-X