Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005  (Read 87756 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005
« Reply #630 on: July 8, 2005, 03:28 PM »
Canadians are pussies.  (everyone says so)  :-X

All too true.  Now go out and beat someone up, all of you.  By not doing so you're messing with my stereotype of Americans.   :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #631 on: July 8, 2005, 03:30 PM »
 >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 8, 2005, 03:41 PM »
Jeez youse guys are sensitive.  Ok then.  Matt you're a really nice guy and a helluva *****.  Better now?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 8, 2005, 03:47 PM »
I also take some issue with the scoring now that I've gotten a chance to learn about fantasy baseball a bit.  I certainly am by no means upset that Dressel and Scott were able to take advantage of the (SP, RP) situation, but it is fair to say that this distinction has led to some lopsided scoring.

Those two snatched up the (SP, RP) players who function in real life as closers so that they could plug extra relief pitchers into their lineups.  Look at Dressel, he's got 4 RP's that could get easily score an extra 5 or 6 points on any given night.  He and Scott have a few dozen more saves than anyone else - and it is no coincidence that they're in first and second places.

If I'd understood how this worked, I'd have grabbed them all myself - so I dont blame him (them) for having those guys on their team and earning every point they can with them.

But I've got the number 1 closer in the league in Cordero - he's got 30 saves already and has put up 180+ points.  Wagner is no slouch either with 20 saves.  Meanwhile, Dressel has 135 points more than I do from saves alone - that is less than the difference that I'm trailing him by.  Theoretically if we were only having the two RP's in per team like everyone would EXPECT - I'd could be in first - I'd certainly be a lot closer than 100 points to first.    We've still got a tight race, but without relief pitchers who can be inserted into starting slots, the race would be a lot tighter.

It's something you can bet your ass I'll take note of next season - I'll either grab them myself or make sure that there's something in the scoring and rules to prevent a small number of players from skewing the league scoring by this much. 

I don't mean for that to sound like a complaint - I'm honestly fine with it, but thems the facts.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 8, 2005, 05:01 PM »
It's something you can bet your ass I'll take note of next season - I'll either grab them myself or make sure that there's something in the scoring and rules to prevent a small number of players from skewing the league scoring by this much. 

I agree with that. And it's really Yahoo's fault for making those select few closers have that SP/RP designation, despite the fact that almost all of them have never started a single game this year. I think next year this is something that ,whoever is commish, may need to just watch and make sure no one player is starting more than 2 closers on any given day, regardless of how Yahoo lists them. That should keep the playing field more level. Because as it's been pointed out, even though Scott and Dressel are playing fair and square, it's that stupid flaw in Yahoo's position listing that is why they are running #1 and #1 and not back in the pack with Zod, Brent and myself.  But that will just make it all the more sweet when I catch them and win.  :P

I'm also in favor of some kind of tinkering with the pitchers scoring in general. They have way too many stats in which they lose points, while hitters have zero stats that can cost them pts.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 8, 2005, 05:13 PM »
I'm actually glad this scoring issue is coming about now, because when I posted 2 months before the draft, hardly anyone would even respond to me about the issue.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 8, 2005, 05:19 PM »
Speaking as a neophyte fantasy baseball type, I couldn't comment about something I didn't know about or understand.  But half a season in, I see the benefit that can be had. 

As I said earlier there's nothing to be done this year, we just have to talk about it next year prior to the season is all.  Or we can leave it now that everyone understands it better.  That's all. 

Any whining we do about it for this season is sour grapes.  I suppose knowing about it might have changed my draft strategy and if it remains for next year it will change my strategy.  Those SP/RP guys are infinitely more valuable than my first pick, Randy Johnson, good season or not.  I would have taken one of the better SP/RP guys ahead of him, no doubt about it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 8, 2005, 05:57 PM »
I'm actually glad this scoring issue is coming about now, because when I posted 2 months before the draft, hardly anyone would even respond to me about the issue.

Two months before the draft I had no idea that a player could be designated as (SP, RP) allowing someone to plug more than two closers into their line up - and neither did hardly anyone else.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 8, 2005, 06:49 PM »
Morgbug hit the nail on the head.  He took the thoughts right out of my head. 

I also recall telling Dressel at some point, could have been recently, could have been before the draft, that the pitchers had too many negative categories and the hitters had none.  The league I created is a head-to-head league, 8 teams and 14 categories (7 for hitters, 7 for pitchers) none of them negative (ex. losses aren't a category for pitchers.)  No complaints, no issues.  The fact we are arguing about relief pitchers is a pretty clear indication that something is very wrong with this system.  Obviously it can't be changed and at no point during this debacle did I ask for it to be changed.  I also did not quit the league, ever say I was quitting, drop my players or offer them up for peanuts (though Dressel tried to get some of my stars for scraps.)  You interpreted what I said the way you wanted to Dressel, and that's your bad.  At least now my team is unlocked and the wrong has been corrected (big thanks for the -6 points by the way.) 

I've participated in fantasy baseball for many years, multiple teams each season, on sites such as CNNSI, Sandbox and Yahoo and have never played in a system as screwy as this one.  Like Brent said, none of us knew how this would play out.  Only Dressel and Scott did, and I did not label them cheaters, but I still say it's an unfair system.  Look at my team from top to bottom and tell me how that is a 6th place team.  It is simply because of the scoring system.  It's too harsh on SPs and too rewarding for RPs, a lineup spot that should never dominate and decide a league champion.  I'm tired, long day at work, but I've said enough for now and via PM the last 2 days. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 8, 2005, 06:56 PM »

Those SP/RP guys are infinitely more valuable than my first pick, Randy Johnson, good season or not.  I would have taken one of the better SP/RP guys ahead of him, no doubt about it.

No you would not have.  There are currently 5 in baseball right now.  Miguel Batista was named closer 2 weeks into the season.  Ryan Dempster about late May.  Derek Turnbow and Dustin Hermanson about 2-3 weeks into the season after auditioning with the existing closers.  And just recently, Famine grabbed Matt Belisle who was named closer after Graves left.

You would have drafted exactly zero SP/RP players.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 8, 2005, 06:58 PM »
You interpreted what I said the way you wanted to Dressel, and that's your bad.  At least now my team is unlocked and the wrong has been corrected (big thanks for the -6 points by the way.) 

I challenge you right here to name the roster change that would have resulted in more points for you yesterday.  I checked, there aren't any.  So quiet down before I lock you back up  :o

(big thanks for the -6 points by the way.) 

You can thank yourself for being crappy at this game.  Actually I should thank you, it's been fun steamrolling over you.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2005, 07:00 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 8, 2005, 07:15 PM »
You interpreted what I said the way you wanted to Dressel, and that's your bad.  At least now my team is unlocked and the wrong has been corrected (big thanks for the -6 points by the way.) 

I challenge you right here to name the roster change that would have resulted in more points for you yesterday.  I checked, there aren't any.  So quiet down before I lock you back up  :o

(big thanks for the -6 points by the way.) 

You can thank yourself for being crappy at this game.  Actually I should thank you, it's been fun steamrolling over you.

I challenge you to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would have even started Colon last nite. 

So let me get this straight, you come on here trying to be the picture of civility, trying to act as if it was you who were wronged, telling me that I could only have my team back if I deleted all my comments that rubbed you wrong and kissed your ass and stroked your ego and then you post THIS?  You know what dude, you're an *******, plain and simple, and if that gets my team locked again, I don't give a **** anymore.  You just keep proving my point about how many people here dislike you and why they dislike you.  Amazing that you get such a hard-on by leading a league with a flawed system that you knew how to exploit.  You must have gotten picked on as a kid and this is your payback.  The funny thing is, after our draft you told me I had the best team, top to bottom.  Now you're gonna tell me I don't know what I'm doing?  It's not my fault I didn't have the playbook on how to abuse the flawed system by loading up on SP/RPs. 

My voicing concern and my disapproval for the scoring system has caused others to speak up and it looked like it had even opened your eyes for 2 seconds and then you go right back into Dressel Mode.  Lock my team, give away my stars, put them all on your team, whatever.  I'm done playing in fantasy leagues with you.  I won't associate with human beings like yourself, whether it be in real life or on the Internet.  Just so you don't get it twisted this time: I'M DONE WITH YOUR LEAGUE and now everyone on JD, staff and all, knows and can see why. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #642 on: July 8, 2005, 07:23 PM »
We'll be taking yet another break here.  That was fun while it lasted, all 5 hours of it.  If anything else needs to be discussed about the league, just set up a community PM or e-mail for all participants for the next day or two.  But we can't carry on with the personal insults, taunting, and name calling.  Sorry folks...  :-\

- M

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #643 on: July 10, 2005, 05:10 AM »
Play ball!

Good luck...  :-\

Offline Dressel Rebel