Author Topic: Sideshow Premium Format Figures  (Read 122023 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Sideshow 1/4 Statues?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2005, 05:30 PM »
Yeah, Jesse, they told me they were still tooling around with it, and it is indeed still only a prototype. My biggest question was about the chain for the cape, and they told me they were still looking into it. They were probably going to add a small chain that would be hidden under the helmet most of the time, but they hadn't finalized anything yet.

SilverZ

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2005, 12:28 AM »
Dave, was there by chance any discussion about the stand he comes with?

I know it's petty, but I'm really disappointed if he only comes on the equivalent of a Lego block to stand on. It seems like such a shame with it looking so stunning otherwise, and with Luke coming with the nifty little sand hill stand.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2005, 12:35 AM »
That's a good point Jared.  That stand seems pretty useless, it's so small and insignificant. 

Obviously, we don't want something that distracts from Vader himself, but the stand should somehow match that grandness.  Even if it was more like a floor, rather than just a stand; I'm not sure what exactly it needs to be better. 

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2005, 12:55 AM »
The stand was another issue. The stand represents the floor of the Death Star where Vader and Obi-Wan have their final battle in ANH. Just plain black, and real boring I know, but that's what I was told.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2005, 12:19 PM »
From SDCC, last year:
We should have some pix of the Luke and Han coming in tonight.  Han looks real nice, but Luke's got the damned bucktooth problem again (though he's not in finalized form yet, supposedly)...

So check back later.

It looks to me that they've removed the bucktooth issue from Luke, based on the new pix of him.  That's a great move if that's the case.  I was definitely trying to drive that point home to the Sideshow rep at SDCC last year, saying that the teeth looked ridiculous (kinda like the POTJ X-wing Pilot Luke).

These guys really listen, and really kick ass with the details.  I wish every SW licensee was like the folks at Sideshow.  Awesome people, and very collector friendly.

Just wish I had the space (and cash) for these things...  Oh well.  Still nice to admire though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 12:20 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2005, 12:22 PM »
Now that Sideshow's picking up a little steam again, here's a refresher course on some of the info they passed along to me last year at SDCC, so you can get a probable idea of what's likely on tap...

I had a chance to sit down and interview Tom Gilliland, the VP of Product Development and the Creative Director of Side Show Collectibles this afternoon down at SDCC.  Mr. Gilliland was probably the friendliest, most knowledgeable, and most willing to talk (and talk about future plans, no less) Star Wars licensee at the entire show.  It was a true pleasure to sit down and chat with him, and learn of the direction this line will likely take over the next three years.  He seemed to have a definite feel for the pulse of the hobby, and about "collectors" and Star Wars in general.  I think that should assure you potential Sideshow collectors that you'll indeed be in excellent hands with this particular Star Wars line.  So without further ado, here's some juicy information as to what we can expect to see out of the future of this line...

First 5 figures:
Luke (seen at SDCC, in prototype form)
Han (seen at SDCC, in prototype form)
ANH Vader (dueling pose w/ saber up)
Obi-Wan (dueling pose probably, which can interact with Vader to a degree, moveable hood)
ANH Leia

There will probably be some exclusives for their website later on, which will offer a slight twist to some of the above figures, such as probably having the same Han, but with a Stormtrooper belt and blaster included.  They weren't quite sure what the Luke "variation" would be yet though.

Highly probable figures after that:  Boba Fett, Yoda/Dagobah Luke 2-pack, R2-D2/C-3PO 2-pack, Darth Maul, Qui-Gonn Jinn, X-Wing Luke

Other tidbits:

Production runs will likely be approximately 1,500 to 2,500, depending on how "main" the character is.  Once the edition size is set, that's it - no more!  Sideshow is considering doing some minor characters in the future as well (such as Bib Fortuna), which would likely have a lower production number.

Price Point: $225 and up (higher for the more intricate maquettes, and 2-packs)

They're experimenting with adding electronics right now, like to things such as the lightsabers.

Finally, and this is the best part, these guys have an attention to detail like I've never seen or heard of before.  Tom commented to me that they just recently noticed that a portion of Han's "real" belt had 3 notches, as opposed to the 2 notches that they originally thought, so they're fixing that right away.  Expect these pieces to be HIGHLY detailed and damned near PERFECTLY accurate in every single way.   8)

JediDefender thanks Tom for his time, as do our readers, I'm sure.  Tom did add a disclaimer to all of the aforementioned news, in that it's all subject to final approval, so nothing is set in stone just yet.  You know the deal:  "Products and colors may vary..."  But at least this should give you an excellent idea as to the direction they plan to take with this line.  Sounds like the Side Show line will be one of Star Wars' finest.  Can't wait!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 12:22 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2005, 02:33 PM »
I hope the little stand is removable, then. It's the same one they've shown with Han. For display, I'd rather not use it.

Matt, they actually addressed the bucktooth Luke issue as far back as October, so they're even quicker on responses than you think. I'm still not 100% on his look though, but since when has anyone, ever, been able to nail a perfect ANH Luke headsculpt?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2005, 08:11 PM »
I sent an e-mail to Sideshow to find out how much it would cost to ship my Vader statue to Canada.

Here is the response:

"Dear Valued Customer,

We apologize for the delay in response.

The item you have inquired about will cost approximately US$50 to ship.

This quote is an estimation. Prices are subject to change without
notice. Any duties or taxes are the responsibility of the customer.

Best Regards,
Scot King
Sideshow Collectibles"

So the price just got bumped to $350 + $50 = $400US = $498CDN.  And that's before customs and brokerage fees. 

OUCH.

:'(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2005, 09:19 PM »
Once again: this is why I have things shipped to the US and my good buddy there helps me out.  Shipping is $15 USD.  I expect it will be about $25 to ship to me, maybe more though.  Still, it will ball park yours Jesse, the difference is I can play with the value for customs.  If I choose to.  I may not because of insurance.  $50 is steep, but it's not unrealistic and I imagine includes insurance.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Uh, I think I might have done something really stupid: I ordered the Darth Vader statue from Sideshow.

The only problem is how the hell do I justify this to my wife?

So I broke the news to my wife tonite.  She was headed out for a night with the girls, and I told her that I'd give her a reason to do some drinking...  She got this nervous look on her face, but when I showed the pics of Vader to her on the internet, she was relieved.  She actually thought Vader looked pretty cool, and could accept the $500CDN price tag.  Man, I'm a lucky guy, eh?  So I wonder how much I have to spend to actually piss her off?  Actually, I hope I never find out...   ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2005, 10:20 PM »
When's your 10th wedding anniversary?  If you don't get her a big enough rock after dropping that much on a "toy", you'll find out how much is not enough instead of too much.  Fair warning ;)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2005, 10:30 PM »
When's your 10th wedding anniversary? If you don't get her a big enough rock after dropping that much on a "toy", you'll find out how much is not enough instead of too much. Fair warning ;)

Hey dumbass, this is a "collectible", not a toy.  That TOTALLY justifies it.   ;D

OOooh.  This year is five years on August 19th.  She always says she doesn't need much, but we all know that diamonds will always melt a woman's heart.  Especially if you're a dumb ******* Star Wars collector. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2005, 10:44 PM »

Hey dumbass, this is a "collectible", not a toy.  That TOTALLY justifies it.   ;D

Man Barbie.   :-*

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 1, 2005, 02:00 AM »
Sideshow Vader is now SOLD OUT.

As far as I understand it, this "exclusive" version that was shared between SideshowCollectibles.com and StarWarsShop.com included a mouse droid.  The "regular" version is only different in that it doesn't include the mouse droid, but I'm not sure when these are to become available.

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2005, 05:12 PM »

Man Barbie.   :-*

Hey, HEY! Chicks dig 'em too! :-*

Did anyone order Luke? He is supposed to start shipping during the 2nd quarter, hope it is after C3....