Author Topic: Sideshow Premium Format Figures  (Read 121991 times)

SilverZ

Re: Sideshow's 1/4 Statues
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2005, 06:50 PM »
I'd say it's a strong candidate, but I wonder if the performance of the first Luke will push out plans for another version. In fact, I'm a bit surprised that this line has been so ANH-centric, with the exception of Grievous, when you look at the release pattern they seem to have for the 12" line. I guess they're just hitting every core character in the most iconic outfit first.

I'd actually like to see a Bespin Luke before a Jedi version, just because it's a more detailed costume and has more accessories. But that's just my personal wish. I'm also dying for them to get a Boba Fett out.

My Han arrived yesterday. Like the Luke, I'm floored by the costume's detail. His gun hoster has a working strap on it and the belt has a removable droid collar. It's just really, really nice. I'm not quite sold on the headsculpt, but it's OK. I'll try and get a couple of pics up.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2005, 10:23 PM »
Bespin Luke would be awesome.  I'd prefer this pose:

but wouldn't be surprised to see the old vintage cardback style with the blaster:

I'm wondering if the plans call for three Lukes overall: farmboy with no weapon, Bespin with blaster and Jedi with saber to represent the evolution of Luke.  I think it would be neat, but I wouldn't possibly have room for all three.  I'd be happy with either Bespin or Jedi but a half price farmboy has some appeal as well.  That just sounded wrong, y'know?

Like you Jared, I'm surprised by the OT focus but for Grievous.  I'm not opposed to a break in the pattern either.  Vader should be out within weeks and Ben is supposed to be quick too.  Passing on Luke and Han has given me a good gap but I'm on the wait list for Leia.  Something nice would be great for the fourth quarter, a Fett would be ideal. 

Speaking of Fett, I'd love to see the premium version be slightly differently styled, something like the Kubrick variations.  Better be online the first day if that happens :o

I'm pretty sure I'd pass on Chewbacca, though it would be tough.  What I'd really love to see is a Droids 2-pack, as it were, much like the Tomy mini-diorama in series 1.  That would be sweet. 

The more I think about it, I think there's going to be a hefty wait between ANH Luke and any other Luke, given the number of OT characters, never mind PT, they could do:

Stormtrooper (or snowtrooper or biker scout)
Chewbacca
Boba Fett
Droids
Bespin Luke
Jedi Luke

PT
Sidious
Yoda
Anakin
Obi-wan (to mirror the pairing they've already done for OT)
Padme
Clone/Gree/Bly/Shock/Special Ops

scary....I could see all of those being done before another Luke.  Hmmm.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict a continuing OT trend and say Boba next, then stormtrooper.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2005, 10:38 PM »
I don't know if Sideshow would tackle a Chewbacca - that fur is just about impossible to get right.  Just look at some of Hasbro's 12 inch figures.  ::)  If they didn't get the fur done right, it would be a total bust for them, so they may just avoid it altogether.

My guess is that they'll tackle someone a little less obvious for the next statue (just look at their 1:1 busts, Maul first and then Greedo second - I sure didn't see that one coming).  I'd kill for a Snowtrooper.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2005, 10:55 PM »
Oh I'd love a snowtrooper too.  And I forgot Maul on the list as well ::) 

Seems to be a bit of a penchant for soft goods, so a Tusken Raider would work really well between the clothing, cloak and head wrap material.  I probably wouldn't but that one, but it would be damn nice. 

I think Chewie could be done, this isn't Hasbro after all and really, how much did the full Chewie costume cost?  Surely after ROTS there must be some damn nice and recent reference material to work from?  I do agree if they screw it up, they're dead.  I think the answer is to keep the edition size small, like Leia, so even if it's screwed up, it's too late for everyone :P  But I don't see that happening on this scale. 

If they do an Ewok, I'll buy one just for the pleasure of taking a baseball bat to it. ;D

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2005, 11:33 PM »

If they do an Ewok, I'll buy one just for the pleasure of taking a baseball bat to it. ;D

And I'd army build with it.   :D

SilverZ

« Reply #155 on: January 3, 2006, 03:52 PM »
I'd go for any of the characters suggested above. Honestly I'm in far enough in the line that I'd be happy to see any core or secondary character. But I'd obviously go fanboy gaga over an ESB Fett.

I also think Chewbacca could work given the scale. I'm pretty convinced of it after seeing that 12" custom Anakin with the real hair. If a customizer can pull that off, Sideshow should be able to do something what would be a 18-20" figure.

I think they've mentioned Yoda in the past. I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet, since he's smaller and could be brought in for a little less cash. He's such a popular character that combining that with a lower pricepoint might help bring some more people into the line.

I finally got around to taking a few shots of Han last night. They're not the greatest shots in the world, but you can at least see what the production version turned out like. I'm waiting on some seamless paper that matches the color I've been using for the Hasbro figures - until I get that I'm having a bit of a tough time photographing larger items. But here's what I've put up:

Premium Format Han Solo

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 3, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Wow, you can really see the detailing in his holster and it's accessories (closeup photos would be great  :)), and his clothing really looks sharp.  The mixed media really works on him.

One thing that doesn't quite make sense to me is how his left hand (right side of picture) is just kinda hanging there.  It looks like his thumb should be hanging on the front of his belt/holster.

I'd have to say that Han is certainly a step up from Luke in terms of the facial sculpt - Han looks a lot more like Harrison Ford than Luke looks like Mark Hamill.  I think if they'd given him a bit of a smirk, it would have really brought the statue to life.  8)

I've pre-ordered Leia and I sometimes wish I'd ordered Han as well so they could go side by side (especially if Chewie is made too (and made well)).  :-\

SilverZ

« Reply #157 on: January 3, 2006, 06:13 PM »
This is the Ford headsculpt that I think all others should be judged against:

That really captures the likeness, to me.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 6, 2006, 12:25 PM »
Just received word from Sideshow that I've been bumped up from the wait list on Leia :)  I was a little skeptical about the wait list thing, but it seems it may work out. 

SilverZ

« Reply #159 on: January 7, 2006, 04:33 AM »
Excellent news! I was wondering if that wait list ever actually worked.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 9, 2006, 10:06 PM »
I just received this e-mail from Sideshow about the Darth Vader statue:

Dear Valued Collector,

Thank you for your order of the ¼ Scale Darth Vader Sideshow Exclusive (item# 71171) from our Star Wars 1:4 Scale Figures Collection. We appreciate your patience in waiting for this Limited Edition, SOLD OUT item to arrive into our warehouse. This email notification is to keep you updated with the most current information about your order with us.

We are anticipating partial shipments to arrive into our warehouse for the item that you ordered. This means that items will be fulfilled in the order in which they were received. To give you a better idea of when you can expect your shipment, please see below.

Orders placed prior to January 19, 2005 are expected to ship the week of February 1st, 2006.

Orders placed from January 19th and later are expected to begin shipping the week of February 20th, 2006 when we receive our final shipment of these statues.

I ordered mine on Feb 19/05, so it looks like I'll be waiting for it to ship on Feb 20th.   :(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 9, 2006, 10:22 PM »
Ordered mine the same day.   I'm ok with a later shipment.

As an aside, anyone having a problem accessing their account?  I can get in but when I check to see the details of my orders I get the login page again and this message:
Since it has been more than 20 minutes since your last access on our server, please re-authenticate yourself.

Uh, no, not even 20 seconds.  I'm not panicking or even remotely worried, just curious if it's happening to anyone else?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 9, 2006, 10:54 PM »

As an aside, anyone having a problem accessing their account?

Just checked my account and I don't seem to be having problems.  I guess you won't be receiving your order.  :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 9, 2006, 10:55 PM »
Good, I could use the cash. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 9, 2006, 10:57 PM »
 >:(  You're no fun when you don't take the bait.