Author Topic: Celebration 3 Figure: Talking Darth Vader  (Read 28616 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Celebration 3 Figure: Talking Darth Vader
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005, 05:58 AM »
I wonder if that figure is all-new, or is a kit bash of the upcoming ROTS Vader in some way.

I've seen a few people speculating that it's possibly a rehash/kitbash of the 25th anniversary 2-pack version...  Can one of you youngin's with a good eye for such things confirm that, or not, please?!   :-*

I'd be a little bummed if that's indeed the case.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2005, 06:05 AM »
It looks, to me, like a distinct possibility Matt, however I can't 100% say that.

It also says "not final product" real clear though...  They could surprise with this, but I doubt it...  I'd wholely expect a reused sculpt of some sort...  I just think there's better ones than the 25th 2-pack to use, but that's me...

MOTS would've been my choice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2005, 06:57 AM »
I might as well join in the line up guys. $60. spent already!  ;D

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 09:14 AM »
 ;)

Party in the line!
 ;D
I KNEW that Kill Bill flask I bought would come in handy! Beer takes up too much space, need room to carry exclusives.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 10:01 AM »
All kinds of good news this morning.  First, the Max Rebo Kubrick set and now a pretty cool C3 exclusive. 

Can anyone going to C3 help me out with one of these?  I'd be willing to throw in something extra for your time.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 10:11 AM »
I really want to go to C3 but not sure if I can go yet or not?  Ugh.  Anyway I like the idea for this figure.  I do hope it's a new sculpt.  Anyway it was a unique idea.  You knew it had to do something with Vader.  Good idea IMO. 

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2005, 11:31 AM »
Can't wait till C3 happens and get this figure.  Like the fact that they put the battery compartment on the outside of the package.   I wish through that the limit was 2 a day instead of one a day.  I wonder how many people are going to buy 5 passes (one 4 day and four one days) to get eight figures now.  I will try and help out those who can't attened the show, how many I can help through will depend on weather or not my cousin wants me to pick up one for him or his friend or not. 

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2005, 01:04 PM »
Anyone who can help me out please drop me a line.  I will gladly double the price for your time.  I had to cancel my plans to attend due to a major project startup at my job. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2005, 01:53 PM »
;)

Party in the line!
 ;D
I KNEW that Kill Bill flask I bought would come in handy! Beer takes up too much space, need room to carry exclusives.

Not only do I really like you, I respect you :D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2005, 03:06 PM »
This is kind of neat, but not as "I gotta have it" as the Sacul figure.  Still, I will be camped out in line as well.  :)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2005, 08:22 PM »
For those that need one, not only will I be there with a four day pass but so will my hubby so I am pretty sure I can cover six people.  As the convention gets closer just drop me a line or post here again. 
Beth

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2005, 08:39 PM »
This is kind of neat, but not as "I gotta have it" as the Sacul figure.  Still, I will be camped out in line as well.  :)

So now you've got me wondering, what is it about the Sacul figure that really got your attention and made you think "I gotta have it"?  I ask this because I don't have it and didn't go to C2.  I've only seen pics online of the figure (and obviously of the Vader figure), and purely based on that, I'm more interested in the Vader.  Can someone clear me of my ignorance?   :)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2005, 05:11 AM »
JesseVader, I think the "I gotta have it" aspect of the Sacul figure is the George-freakin'-Lucas likeness...there was no chance a figure like that would ever be released to the retail world, and a figure of Lucas was one of those fanboy dreams for quite a while at that point. At least I'd heard it fantasized about more than I've heard people calling for a "Talking Vader" figure.

I have to say (against the grain here, it seems) that I am extremely underwhelmed by a Darth Vader figure as this year's Celebration Exclusive.

You almost have to guarantee that the parts will be a kitbash of various Vaders at best, a straight rehash at worst.

While a voice chip is nice, boosting the price to $15 certainly cancels out any benefit there.

At C2, the first thing I did was hop in line for Sacul. This time around I'm not even sure I'll be going. A figure the likes of which I'd never see otherwise could've easily made that a no-brainer. Yet another Vader just doesn't do it for me...even one that talks to me about being at C3.

As a memento for the Celebration, Vader has some merit. But as a chance to fill in one of those "They'll never make that" figures, this is a letdown for me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2005, 05:23 AM »
I liked Sacul for what he was...  To me he's a nice random Rebel Pilot who happens to look like Lucas.  That's ok, I guess.

I didn't go but BigDumbWookie (Adam) was real super kick ass cool and helped me get a set of Saculs, which is just friggin' great.  I've never forgotten that!  (Thanks again Adam!)

The figure didn't make me drool though, and I don't think I would have cared if I hadn't been a completist so much...  Then again, it's a Rebel Pilot and I dig those...  I dig having a Lucas figure in the collection too.

The Vader I actually am underwhelmed by...  Not angry or upset, just indifferent.  This isn't the type of thing I care about.  I dig having James Earl Jones actually record the lines and all...  He's a class act all the way.  I'll get one happily enough.  If I wasn't going though, I think I wouldn't even be bothering to track it down at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Get yer Cell 3 Talking Vader on the auction block folks!  ::)

Celebration 3 Darth Vader

I will go immediately from the store, to the shipping with your address in hand.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 01:17 PM by DSJ™ »