Author Topic: Celebration 3 Figure: Talking Darth Vader  (Read 28497 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Celebration 3 Figure: Talking Darth Vader
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2005, 05:52 PM »
I didn't even get  the chance to get him at C3 (the line was EIGHT hours long when I got there Friday afternoon) and now I get home today and he's sold out of shop already.

Except for the five minutes of footage Rick McCallum showed, it was a very disappointing experience.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2005, 06:00 PM »
And just like that they are gone. What was the run on this sucker? It seems like it should of sold out easily at C3. Im happy others were able to order it but I feel bad for all the people that wasted a better part of a day waiting for this.

Not sure if this was the final total but at one point at the start of C3, they had 500 pallets of Vader figures.

500 Pallets = 10,000 cases = 120,000 Vaders (give or take a few).

There may have been more or less, but that's the number I heard being tossed around at the show.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2005, 08:32 PM »
Anyone miss out on this Darth Vader?

You may want to check out the front page news...  ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2005, 08:54 PM »
Very nice giveaway.  I think it should be a monthly giveaway (not a monthly C3 Vader, but something different every month).  I'd be happy to contribute.

:P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Sent in my form! Vader was unable to get me one, long story about scalpers, so I entered the contest. I may have sent in a bit too much info though, like my city and state. You guys won't count off for that, will ya? :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2005, 09:41 PM »
**COUGH**

Nevermind.  I see you guys are way ahead of me!  :P

Good luck folks!

And CHEWIE, I think you'll be happy to see what's in store for some future giveaways here, following this one...  8)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 09:43 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2005, 10:20 PM »
Is one of the giveaways "A Chance to Play Air Hockey with Matt?"  If it is I'll pass.   :P 

Cool giveaway guys.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2005, 10:26 PM »
Is one of the giveaways "A Chance to Play Air Hockey with Matt?"  If it is I'll pass.   :P

That'd be a very wise decision Jay, since I kicked all their asses at it.  To be honest, Brent squeezed out a 7-6 decision against me once, but I smacked him around twice after that, and added Dave and Jesse2 to the ass kicking list as well.  Don't mess with my kung fu on the air hockey table, or you'll be sorry...  :P

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2005, 10:38 PM »
JediMAC, I have never been defeated at Air Hockey.  I even beat this kid.

:P

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Thanks for the chance to win a CIII Vader...but why did I get three spam emails this morning telling me to shop at Shopko for all of my SW needs??

end fib

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Hey - for anyone who was able to order theirs on Monday from shop.starwars.com - I received my two "order shipped" e-mails for my four C3 Vader figures. I wasn't sure that they were going to let me place two orders, but they did and now the FedEx tracking system is telling me I'll have them on April 30th!

What a month for Star Wars toys huh? Started off with the midnight madness and ends with the C3 Vader and the EE SA Clones (which I got today!)

- Peter
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2005, 04:41 PM »
Don't mess with my kung fu on the air hockey table, or you'll be sorry...  :P

We just kept playing to see how many times you would dive on the floor and scare the crap out of the other, non-drunk customers. And don't let me start on the pool shooting (and/or other activities that went down in the pool room, for that matter) either, okay?

:-*

Offline Aaron_D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2005, 05:11 AM »
Really a bummer to hear some of you guys had to go through such an excruciating ordeal to get this figure at C3 last week, especially after seeing it put up for sale at SWS.com the morning you all got back.  I would've been rather annoyed to miss some cool events or panel discussions if I knew I could get the figure later online.

Weren't the Jorg Sacul lines at C2 a LOT shorter though?  I know there were scalping problems at both conventions, but I don't remember hearing so many complaints about the line at C2, even though it sounds like there were far fewer Saculs made available than the Vaders this time.  Strange.

Also, were the dealers really allowed to buy and sell these things right out in the open, for all to see?  That doesn't make sense to turn the convention hall into a scalpers dream right in front of all the fans that are trying to acquire this figure.  I can understand some dealers trying to do some business "under the table", but to see pictures of their signs posted for buying and selling the Vader is ridiculous.  The Gen Con organizers should never have allowed that, which I think would have eliminated at least some of the problems.

But at least it sounds like most everyone here got one, either at C3, or online.  I think I've got one coming in a pending trade with a local friend fortunately.  Anyone else still missing this figure?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2005, 11:55 AM »

Also, were the dealers really allowed to buy and sell these things right out in the open, for all to see? 

Unfortunately, that was true.  Many of the dealers were offering to pay $30 for the Vaders, and then turned around and sell them for $60.  I even saw one booth asking $80!

While chatting with a few of the people I met there, I heard stories of Volunteers walking in and selling them to the vendors and saying "I'll be back with more."  Very uncool.  This shouldn't have been an option.  Of course, you could argue that they simply would have gone to eBay instead, but it shouldn't have been so damn easy for people to scalp these right in front of our faces.  I'm not saying that volunteers shouldn't have some perks, but GenCon should have put a stop to the vendors selling this for 4 times the price they were available for down the hall.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2005, 12:32 PM »
I feel really bad for you guys that went and had a horrible time.  Case in point - many of you who were actually present at C3, were not able to obtain a Vader figure...while I was able to get one from swshop.com. 

That's just not right.

My suggestion, as posted under the C3 thread, is as follows:

*When you order your attendance badge, a figure certificate is included that is non-transferable and counterfeit proof.  One badge per envelope - no exceptions.

When you pass through the convention doors for the first time, some lackey hands you a figure - clean and clear.  You hand him/her your figure certificate.

Done and done.

Raise the price of the badge(s) $15 to compensate for the figure...or just forget it and consider it fair considering this year's fiasco.

:-*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 12:32 PM by ruiner »