Author Topic: New Clone Wars Anakin & Durge  (Read 7935 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
New Clone Wars Anakin & Durge
« on: March 11, 2003, 01:56 PM »
Hasbro just unveiled a couple new figures from the upcoming Clone Wars line, due out in the fall:  Anakin and Durge.  Check 'em out:

Some more pictures and the full story is at this Hasbro link:
http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?id=113

Hmm, interesting...  Can't say that I'm terribly thrilled with these, but I guess this line is EU after all... Nicely detailed and accessorized, at least.  What do you all think?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2003, 02:21 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re:New Clone Wars Anakin & Durge
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 02:07 PM »
Interesting but they do nothing for me so far. I may change my mind though.
Is it me or does the picture of Anakin look like an imitation of Garth Brooks with that mike on his head.  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 02:09 PM »
I think the figures look pretty nice.  Anakin is a little too preposed for my liking.  Gone are the action features, staying are the crappy head leans and preposedness which makes a figure only good looking in one position.

Durge is a Power Rangers toy and leads into my rant...

I sure hope the kiddies like these because I see Clone Wars crap clogging the pegs when EpIII merchandise hits in '05   ::)  

This may be the Worst Idea Ever next to SOTE...

I'm happy for those of you who want EU figs, but I fear the consequences for those of us who don't.  

I really think we will be seeing this stuff forever, the "cartoon" isn't really a cartoon and will create some buzz but is it going to suck in new purchasers...some not masses though

Are these new tricked out designs going to appeal to the kid in the aisle who can only pick out one toy, maybe...

Are the many SW collectors who could care less about EU going to buy these?  Nope

So if they are produced in similar numbers to previous Collection 1 figs will the influx be more than the outflux...

I personally believe

Soccer Moms + New Cartoon Veiwers + Completionists + EU Enthusiats < EU Haters + People Not Happy with Saga Product Still + Hasbro's Overproduction Thinking that they will sell thousands of these

The last factor there is the key and is a problem with pegwarming already.  If you collected during SOTE you will know what I mean, some KB's still have Prince Xizors warming the pegs

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 02:13 PM »
I think they're alright. Nothing spectacular but as a fan of the EU and a completist, I'll have no problems picking these up.

Anyone else think Durge just does not have much of a Star Wars look/feel to him? He'd look more at home in the GI Joe line I think.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 05:35 PM »
Oh boy... oops, I mean <hick> Whooo Boy! </hick>

Bounty Hunter -
Whatever happened to "fabric".... I swear every new Bounty Hunter I see is limited to only 1 piece of fabric, and its always a cape or a Boba Fett-like jumpsuit. Why is it these EU guys must be decked out in super-duper armor when the guy is hunting a Jedi, who owns a lightsaber, making any armor useless.
This guy just looks like a reject Batman villian, and I'm a bit frightened that he'll be tied into Boba Fett's story w/ his Death'sHead/Fett'sHead.
No pro's to this guy, his name is even lame.

Anakin -I'm disapointed here, but there are a few pro's. First, the black glove is cool... I've been a fan of it since playing Clone Wars. Second, and thankfully, all of that armor crap comes off, including is elbow pads and weird head-set... Because I'm desperate for a new figure, I would consider buying this, even though it looks pretty much like the Tatooine Attack (w/o action feature, another pro I forgot to mention).

Offline Zuckuss44

• Youngling
  • Let my hands speak for me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 08:42 PM »
I'm sorry. Durge looks too much like Shredder from TMNT in that picture they have on starwars.com.....

But otherwise his background and look, I think he'll be an okay edition to the EU. And hopefully, he'll die in a cool climactic battle in the fourth episode or something.

Offline Guttersnipe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Tramampoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 06:20 AM »
Personally I don't consider these 'Star Wars' figures, as I don't SOTE or EU. So I wont be looking for them.
But for kids they look pretty cool. I can imagine a kid being bored quickly with Luminara types (statues) but being impressed with these.
They are totally aimed at kids and I'm sure those are the ones who will appreciate them.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 12:48 PM »
while they're not spectacular looking, I'm glad they have play-bility ;)  I will probably them or some of the CW line, eventhough 'Durge' is OK looking. But I also wasn't impressed the new clone troopers when they first appeared online last year either and Now I think they're the coolest! :)
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2003, 01:19 AM »
I'll take a pass on these, way too over the top EU for my tastes. Hopefully with Hasbro's new collector awareness, they have a good strategy to keep the lines really, really seperate and healthy, or are being conservative in how they sell these. We'll see. Hasbro HAS to know that they've got 2 strikes with EU already (3 if you count concept vehicles) and this is an iffy endeavor.

And I'm lying. I'm a completionist fool and will buy 1 of each to keep carded.  ::)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: New Clone Wars Anakin & Durge
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2003, 01:41 AM »
And I'm lying. I'm a completionist fool and will buy 1 of each to keep carded.  ::)
That's "completist" fool, and I KNEW you were lying!!!   ;)   :P

No loose ones though?  C'mon, you're letting me down now...   ;)

SilverZ

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 03:31 AM »
That's "completist" fool, and I KNEW you were lying!!!   ;)   :P

That's the second time today I've pulled a Dubya made-up word!   :-\  I'm on a role!

And I now live by the motto:
"No more Biker Qui-Gons or his rotten EU ilk lyin' loose about my house".

Hasbro, go loooooong, 'cause I'm PASSIN'!

-J

Offline JediMike393

• Youngling
  • "Try not, do or do not. There is no try" -[Yoda]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2003, 10:34 PM »
They are nicely done, cool looking accessories, except for Anakin's "Luke/Leia" Endor hat with cool flip down microphone. :P

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2003, 02:42 PM »
Well, having read the new Dark Horse Star Wars:  Republic title where Durge makes his premier, he seems like the bad guy you love to hate.  And definitely mean!  The way they've drawn him makes his armor look somewhat Samurai-like.  Reminds me of the Silver Samurai, of X-Men and Wolverine fame.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #13 on: April 6, 2003, 06:22 PM »
I think they look pretty cool, and I just hope they come out in stores around me.
dustrho

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2003, 12:14 PM »
all the meched up jedi will be custom fodder when and if i see them. as for something like the dirge abomination...

he is getting a little cooler in the comics, but that figure is an injustice if anything...

we'd be better off with a quinlan vos  :D ;D