Author Topic: Help me remember...  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Help me remember...
« on: January 25, 2005, 02:07 PM »
I just had this vivid memory of a "How to Draw" book from my childhood (I believe it is a 1970's release). It was my favorite book and it was filled with amazing art. The illustrations were Frazetta-esque. It was an action/hero/fantasy themed book. 2 of the example drawings in it were:
A diver confronting a giant octopus or squid I think.

The other is much more vivid for me:
It was a tarzan type figure with his back to the viewer and holding a knife and he's confronting a giant cobra.

For the life of me I cannot remember what it was called or the author/artist featured (it may have been several). I think it was a "How to Draw Monsters" book. Does anyone have any clue about this book. I just have to know so I can hunt it down!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 09:26 PM by Thomas Grey »
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
Re: Help me remember...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 05:12 PM »
I’m just taking a guess, but might it have been a Burne Hogarth book?
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Help me remember...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 04:26 PM »
I don't know. I have all of his modern stuff and it's pretty straight forward and detailed on the subjects. This was definitely a How to Draw Monsters book. Hogarth could have authored it then, but I am not sure about that. It was a fantasy artist and great. I remember these over-sized coloring books on heavy stock by 'Paladin Press' I think based in SF. Those were out about the same time and available in the same area of whatever store I used to buy them at.

I'll find out if it kills me, but I appreciate the guess. I'll look into Hogarth and what he put out besides Tarzan in the 60'/70's.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
I FOUND IT!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 11:26 AM »
It's called "How to Draw Monsters" by Larry Evans and published by Troubador Press. He also did one on Prehistoric Monsters. If I find the actual book I will post the cover at least.

I thought the publisher was "Paladin Press", but they publish White Suprmacist and Compound dwelling books on guns, how to be a terrorist...

Troubador put out some great coloring books and I remembered I owned a few. On the back page, they list all their products and the Larry Evans drawing book was on one of them.