Author Topic: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - Not an update, but worth a look!  (Read 105518 times)

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
Re: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - NAME GAME - Final Round!
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2005, 02:59 PM »
Chewie, the thing is, Lance has already established a few posts back that our character's name can't be Quazar, because (a) Lance Quazar is our mother's brother rather than our father's (assuming that the traditional patriarchical naming system applies), and (b) "Lance Quazar" is a pseudonym anyway. 

Other than that, those are all fine-sounding first-name suggestions.

Lance, since the next installment is right around the corner, maybe the best thing would be for you to just make an executive decision at this point, based on what you've seen from our contributions and on what strikes your own fancy.  I don't think you'd choose something that would stink!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - NAME GAME - Final Round!
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2005, 03:45 PM »
Bah.  I keep getting pointed out that I am missing stuff on this.  I understand the central theme to the story, but I guess I am forgetting some details.

Anyways, I say throw in the name "Deak" somewhere into the name, whether it be a middle name, or Deak being short for a longer name like Lansar Deakaptis, Deakhead (just kidding on that one) or something else.

Maybe making an executive decision is the best thing to do though like findswoman said.

:P

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - We have a name!
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2005, 05:13 PM »
Okay, gang, thanks very much to everyone's replies in the recent "Name Game", both here and at FFURG.

After sifting through the various replies, I have made an "executive decision", which I think is a fair distillation of the various suggestions!

I hereby officially decree the name of our main character to be......

Deakaptis J. Viridian

But, seriously, no one calls you Deakaptis anymore.  Not even your mother (though it took a lot of pressuring).  It's just "Deak" for short.

Clone Commander Gree, NoMercyJoe, Yaspo, jedistyle and, ultimately, Chewie all advocated keeping "Deak" as part of the name, which Chewie providing the full name of Deakaptis. 

The last name comes from Findswoman.  Sorry, Finds, even though "Jace" is a cool-sounding, sci-fi name, I just couldn't get behind "Jace Viridian", as it is too close to "Chase Meridian", Nicole Kidman's character from the lamentable "Batman Forever". 

But the middle initial "J" has a long, proud history, from Bullwinkle J. Moose to Homer J. Simpson. 

So that settles that.  However, still to be determined is WHAT to tell Crate when he asks for your name (as he will do in the next chapter.)

I need a decision on this before the story can continue.  I believe Findswoman has warned against giving "Deak", as it could theoretically get back to Callie if Crate goes wandering and blabbing around the station....so please discuss...

Thanks again, gang!
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - NAME ANNOUNCED!
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2005, 09:57 PM »
just tell crate ur real last name no one on the entire station knows ur real last name and also since its not quazar the imps wont be trying to track u down any more than they did if callie is working for the imps

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - Rendezvous at last!
« Reply #229 on: November 21, 2005, 12:40 AM »
Well, gang, it's been a looong time coming, but we finally make it to the meeting with "Blondie", which was selected as a course of action waaaay back in April.

As always, great comments from everyone, though, this time, the decision to go into the tunnel/vent/conduit was nearly universal, with only In Rem and Clone Commander Gree voting for the hallway. 

Votes for the tunnels came from Ryan/SLC, jedistyle, Findswoman, Ashared Hett, Corran Horn, Shellachead, Blight, NoMercyJoe, Chewie and Diddly

Findswoman, Chewie and In Rem all suggested taking off the helmet, but once Crate was out of sight.  And Corran Horn suggested taking out your blaster, to be on the ready.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the "Name Game".  Findswoman cautioned against tell Crate your name was Deak, lest it get back to Callie, and smartypants suggested just giving him your real last name for the same reasons.

And, in a shining example of inter-player cooperation and communcation, Chewie and Findswoman eventually reached a compromise about how to try to stay in touch with Crate in the future, should the desire or need arise. 

So, at long last, here we are (at least partially)...the moment that has been postponed for over six months....the return of "Blondie" (who was also called "Doc" by her companion in her first appearance, something I meant to repeat here but forgot to.  Oops.)

WHAT DO YOU DO??

Inventory:

dirty poncho (worn)

personal comlink
Credit Stick
toolkit
hold-out blaster - drawn
backpack containing -
change of clothes
control pad for ship
data pad with technical schematics
68 credits
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 12:46 AM by Quazar »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - UPDATE 11/20! BLONDIE AT LAST!
« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2005, 01:32 AM »
YAHOOO!!!  At first glance, this looks great!  And all new locations to boot!  I'll comment in more detail soon (you owe me a review too BTW, and my next story will be up tomorrow night). 

Looks like this one had a lot of work go into it.  Can't wait to examine this chapter in detail.

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2005, 01:49 AM »
Aw, crap, Chewie  I just looked at my notes again and realize I forgot to ask Crate about moving to other levels (like to find your ship) like you wanted me to...damn.

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2005, 10:43 AM »
Great work! Really glad the tunnels worked out (although from the looks of things down there, you don't want to spend *too* much time there). As for the trio in the medical facility, I didn't pick up that we should be scared of them... perhaps I've just forgotten something from earlier in the story?

Here's what I do:

1. If it's not already loose, use the tool kit to quietly open the hatch, but keep it in place to hide you. Wait for Fang to pace away from you, more toward the Wookie. When he's far enough away to give you time to exit the hatch, quietly do so, with your blaster trained on the wookiee's head. Hopefully they haven't spotted you and you'll catch them by surprise. Demand they drop their weapons, and tell them you want some answers about "the List" and why they think you can help them.

2. If we're really *that* scared of the security officer and wookiee, we wait. In four minutes they're probably going to storm out of there after laying a stream of insults on Blondie. It's unlikely she will leave with them considering how much they are at one another's throats. After you narrow the odds to 1:1, wait for Blondie to turn her back and move into the room to meet her as in scenario 1.

3. If they all leave together and we're still scared, count this as a blessing and retreat to the previous lift station and make your way back to Crate at Dex's... he might still be having dinner. Ask him if he's ever heard of "The List" and if he might know of someone who knows about Imperial involvement on the station. Failing that, retreat for now and prepare to confront Blondie on the job... go to the bar later and ask "So, do you want to tell me about the List, or do you have to have your goons handy first?"

I prefer option 1 as it gets more immediate results, but it sounds like we might have gotten our big toe into a very deep pool of secrets, and we might not want to dive in until we know exactly how deep things go.  ;D

I don't know, Quazar, you have me in a bit of a pickle here. I can't really come up with a solid plan of action here... :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 21, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Ok, that was some of your best work yet.  The environment is so believable and it adds so much to this.  I hope everyone appreciates the time you are putting into this project.

One suggestion - On Deak, he has a twisty tie thing as a belt... think you could replace it with a thread or a string?  It would be less bulky and a bit more realistic.

But wow, what a great addition to the storyline!  Really a great chapter.  I love where this is going!  Ok, here's my two choices for a course of action... I am definitely not apprehensive about meeting them.  I think it's time to get things rolling!

(1) Sneak in while Fang has his back turned to you.  But don't make it look like you're trying to shoot them... definitely don't point your gun at anyone.  That's a sure sign of starting a problem.  Maybe after you drop in, say something like - "4 minutes to spare!  I could have had another drink at the bar!"

(2) Say "Hello" from up in the grate before coming down, that way they don't think you're trying to sneak up on them and don't risk getting shot at.

Basically, I dnn't think there's any turning back now.  It's time to get involved with this trio.  They don't seem like a bad group, just a little edgy and nervous.

Also, a thought has come across my mind... what if your uncle is really working for the Imperials?

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #234 on: November 21, 2005, 02:13 PM »
Oh wow, fantastic update, Lance!  What you've done with the tunnel is really awesome, and the way you integrate it with the room where Blondie is is simply amazing.  (Yes, there's a pun in there!)  I had almost forgot we were dealing with action figures here, this looks so much like a "real" 1:1 sci-fi movie set. Absolutely A1.  8)

I agree with Chewie that it's definitely time to make ourselves known, and move the story along.  I like the idea of saying "hello" from the grate first thing, before actually entering, just so it doesn't look like an ambush; sneaking out and surprising them seems like an unwise course of action, what with Lucen and the Wookiee on high alert.  Once Blondie recognizes your voice (and there's no reason why she wouldn't), you can tell her "I'm in here."  At that point, if Lucen is aiming his gun your way, I'm guessing Blondie would probably tell him to put it down, and then it will be safest for you to pry your way out.  That whole exchange sould take less than four minutes, I should think.

Now, à propos Uncle Lance's possible Imperial connection: It's definitely a big possibility.  What seems clear from the story so far is that the Empire is definitely interested in him; why, however, it's not clear, nor is it clear whether or not he's willing to help them.  The fact that they have brought in the bounty hunter -- which the Empire doesn't usually do except as a last resort -- seems to suggest the possibility of at least some antagonism between Lance and the Empire. 

Of course this is all complete speculation, but it's always such fun making these speculations about the storyline, and I definitely think we all should make more of them.  Anyone else?

And now, going from the sublime to the ridiculous...  ;)  I think the reason Deak's belt is a clear twist-tie is because it's supposed to be a piece of optical cable found on the floor of Callie's office.  Yes, it's pretty funny-looking, but it is perfectly consistent with the totally impromptu, cobbled-together nature of Deak's disguise. :)

Congratulations, Quazar, on another excellent update!  It always makes my day, without fail.  :) 

... the Findswoman

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 21, 2005, 08:10 PM »
Findswoman brings up something I have been meaning to address with you guys for a little while....and it's really the only thing I could even remotely consider to be "constructive criticism" in terms of how the game is being played.

Frankly, everyone here is a terrific player, insightful, intelligent, imaginative, and I couldn't be happier with the quality of the participation that this game has garned from all of you folks.

However, given that you're all brilliant, creative players, you aren't quite using your greatest resource to its fullest potential.  And that resource is your fellow players.

In order for this game to reach the true zenith of its potential, I would encourage you to engage each other a little bit more.  Individually, your posts are always fantastic, but there are times when a player might throw out an terrific bit of analysis or speculation which no one else ever comments on.

In fact, I can think of multiple occasions (won't say which, of course ;) )where you guys have made clever and CORRECT conjectures about certain aspects of the story.

But, unfortunately, those kinds of comments, which could generate a great conversation amongst the players, go unremarked upon and are quickly forgotten.

Given that, at present, this story is primarily a mystery, it seems all the more vital for you guys to talk out the larger issues with each other.  For the most part, most of the comments focus on the "here and now", which, while obviously essential, will only get you so far...Obviously, the painfully slow pace of the game (I apologize for that!) doesn't always make it easy to get wrapped up in the larger story.

But what does it all mean?  What are  all these characters we've encountered and what are their motives?  Who is after what and why?  Addressing these kinds of issues, I hope, will only make the game that much more enjoyable.

I think the best example of the kind of thing I'm talking about was probably during the Callie/transmitter controversy.  There was an enormous amount of posting traffic as everyone debated what it could all mean and I was delighted.

Recently, Chewie and Findswoman talked out a suggestion that Chewie had about keeping in touch with Crate and the two, who eventually disagreed, came to a brilliant compromise, which was implemented into the game.

Anyway, I don't want this to sound at all like a criticism, because I really am continually pleased and amazed by the terrific quality of game play that is going on.  You're all top notch players and I look forward to each and every reply.

Just some food for thought for you as the plot (hopefully) continues to thicken...

Play on!

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 21, 2005, 09:00 PM »
that was a really great update Lance! your enviorments are really lokking good, i especialy enjoy how you keep the rundown garbage sector ambiance going with filthy tunnels, skulls, creatures and a trashed med lab. the shots through the grate are awsome and there is some great dialog between Fang and Doc, good arguments!

- i agree with CHEWIEs suggestion of using your tool kit to unfasten the grate. then wait to come out until your in a advantageoud position. preferably when Fang turns his back to you while pacing. i'd drop out with blaster drawn, snatching up Fang in a "blaster to the temple hostage type hold", then throwing out some questions of your own concerning thier intentions and this list. they are waiting for you and will no doubt reconize you, so i don't think the wookie or any one else will open fire on you. blondie will try to difuse the situation i'm sure and everything will calm down. i realize that Fang is a merc and probably stronger, quicker and more experienced than you, so he may toss you aside and step on your head to show you who your messing with, but coming strong and agressive through a grate they never expected you to come from may show them that you have some skill and ability and that you could be a usful asset. Fang may actually find some respect for you in taking this approch, however futile it was. basicly i'd do this to get what i want out of the trio first and project a skilled and strong presense, so Doc's companions are less likley to toy with you!

it's not the prefered method but i'm a big fan of the hard charger-brute force method, plus it gets results faster!

the uncle could very well be working for the empire, or the list could be of people the empire has been abducting recently. it sounds to me like he may have been smuggling stuff for Doc and her associates and the goods may still be on the uncles ship.

once again lance great update to this story, i really enjoyed it!
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 23, 2005, 10:48 AM »
Actually, I think it was InRem who suggested to use the tool kit first?

I really think though that we need to try and avoid any unpleasant confrontation with these guys.  I'd be straight up and let them know you're coming down to meet with them - when they ask what in the hell you're doing up there, tell them you didn't want to attract unwanted attention.  They will probably be impressed with your subtle approach.

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #238 on: November 23, 2005, 01:27 PM »
I guess I can see the merit of announcing your entry, but the use of the phrase "get the drop on" in the story suggests to me that our impression of the Wookiee in the shadows is that he was hiding specifically to restrain/attack you when you came into the room. Now, if he was there simply as a security measure, you're OK announcing your presence. If not, well, you may be calling for your own death :)

So the pros of announcement: 1. You're up front with potential allies and 2. They see how concerned you are with avoiding entanglement, which impresses them.

The con (and a big one) is you reveal yourself only to be shot in the ducts and left for dead. ;)

The pros of "making an entrance" with your hold out blaster: 1. You take control of the situation. 2. You get answers. 3. You don't leave yourself defenseless.

The con, of course, is that you pull things off poorly (drop the gun... hesitate) and they still get the drop on you, only now they will be uber-ticked and think you might be there to betray them. That or they kill you.

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 23, 2005, 03:03 PM »
I love it!   ;D