Author Topic: Captain Antilles... He Sorta Sucks  (Read 14040 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Captain Antilles... He Sorta Sucks
« on: March 5, 2005, 03:50 PM »
http://www.mousedroid.com/news/image/raymus-antilles.jpg

OK, that's the image from Mousedroid.com, which has had some criticism but giving it the benefit of the doubt, that figure REALLY sucks.

Compared to what we're getting elsewhere in the line, the Antilles figure APPEARS to not have any extra articulation beyond the 5 point standard (if that even), and no noticeable ball/socket joints which I'd hoped were making a huge surge as "standard" in the line. 

With Organa's body basically being the same (not seen movie stills side-by-side to compare though), I for one can't see the logic in a whole new sculpt for a figure who could've at least used some parts from the Bail Organa sculpt.

I'm just disappointed, if this is the Capt. Antilles figure we're getting, because I can't see this thing being as good as the Organa figure.  I'm gonna hope I'm just wrong though on that, and the articulation's just incredibly well hidden or this was some fluke of some sort.   :-\

My worst fear is that Hasbro's going to skimp on many background figures now, or that the articulation will be only for the initial launch and the line's going to revert somewhat to minimal articulation.  That just disheartens me to think about it even...  I truly hope that's not the case.  ROTS's line-up is showing huge promise for the line overall, even if it's future is drawing very near to an end.  I just hope this quality doesn't die off and the Antilles figure is a possible sign of bad things to come.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2005, 03:52 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Antilles... He Sorta Sucks
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2005, 06:56 PM »
Well, the image I thought looked a bit fake, but who knows.  The head sculpt does look real though.

Maybe this is a very old shot before they switched over to the Bail Organa body.   :)

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2005, 01:06 AM »
Yeah, I try to give the benefit of the doubt to news stories...  God knows it sucks to be unappreciated when giving legit news, so I'm just going on the assumption it's a legit figure.  I can't say to look at it either way really though.  I don't recognize any parts on it, save for perhaps a Bail Organa cloak...  There's definitely no noticeable articulation though, save the basics, and that's a huge downer if this is the actual figure.

COmpared to Organa's figure which rocks, this thing's a POTF2 figure.  Somehow paying the same for both would feel nothing short of a rip-off to me, especially if parts are reuseable simply because the outfits are so incredibly similar (if not identical) in the film.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2005, 08:15 PM »
Well, if we don't like it, let's each just get one and put the head on a Bail Organa body.   :)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2005, 09:26 PM »
That sculpt is horrible... he looks like a McDonald's toy. :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 6, 2005, 09:35 PM »
Hell, he looks like a hold out from the ancient Fisher Price lines of yore.  Very poor effort on that one...unless it's a pack in with a Tantive IV... ;)

Yeah, I still want that stupid thing produced.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 6, 2005, 09:42 PM »
Looks like he can keep monkey faced Leia company.  :-\

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 7, 2005, 04:00 AM »
Am I kissing Hasbro's ass if I say I kinda like the looks of it?   :)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 7, 2005, 08:40 AM »
Eh, it's Captain Antilles.  Big deal.  That's my opinion on it. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 05:07 PM »
Sounds like Antilles is finally hitting now, so let's see if Jesse's opinion changes at all once he gets his grubby mitts on him.

Anyone else found this wave yet?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 05:19 PM »
I've seen enough pics to know he ain't no Bail.

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 05:34 PM »
i found him this morning at target. his face looks very retarted on the card. he has 2 red scars on his face which i think is lame. i havent opened him yet and dont plan on to. but if u all need closeup pictures of him or his face, i'll post when i get home from work.  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 12:49 AM »
The character had scarring (makes ya think he had a bigger role in the film, or that Lucas is just trying to imply backstory).  painting on the scarring on a toy can be tough.  It's just not good huh?

I've seen people saying this Antilles is the same as ANH Antilles.  I think there's some story establishing they are not one in the same though, isn't there?  Or at least their first names were established as different on SW.com or some such.  Physically, I think it's impossible that the guy in ANH could be that relatively mature looking guy in ROTS.  The guy in ANH would've been friggin' old then but he doesn't even have grey hair!

I think the ROTS figure must be the ANH figure's old man. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 01:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the same dude in both flicks.  Likely to make his death in ANH yet another connection to the prequels.  I've never heard anything to the contrary...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 01:11 AM »
I've read somewhere the first names are different.

They are, physically, 2 different people though...  Plus, unless he's capable of stopping aging, they can't be the same guy regardless of even what LFL may say.  Hair color was even different (but not GREY like one would think it would be after 20 years or more).

I am going with different guys even if Lucas himself came out and said otherwise.  Screw him and his jiggly neck flab.

Oh, and ANH Antilles has no scars...  Cosmetic surgery must've been on his priority list I guess.   ;D

EDIT: out of curiosity I didn't see a databank entry for him on the official site.  Was curious about any backstory they had maybe, but at this point I'm guessing that LFL just isn't talking so Hasbro will be left with little information... 

I'm sticking to my guns on this, the figure sucks, and that ain't the dude in ANH... 

***plugs his ears and starts yelling, "I'm not listening" over and over***
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 01:15 AM by Jesse James »