Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Starfighter  (Read 5552 times)

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 7, 2005, 04:39 PM by Nataku »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Obi-Wan's Starfighter
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2005, 02:57 PM »
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2005/rotsobistarfighter.jpg

;D

Hmmm... not much more than a repaint of Ani's ship.  Eh, I'll probably still buy it, especially knowing that there is an "Obi-Wan Kenobi Red Leader" figure on the way... now if we can only get confirmation that there will be a Pilot Anakin to fly his ship.   :P

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2005, 04:54 PM »
I actually kinda like this one better than Anakin's myself. Looks pretty cool even if it is just a repaint.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 7, 2005, 11:50 AM »
With a bunch of people finding this vehicle this weekend, I thought I'd better bump this thread so people have a place to post pictures and pick up the discussion...

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 7, 2005, 12:36 PM »
I'll probably only get this once it hits clearance. Now is the plug in r2 unit just a repaint job?
either way this is a very cool ship.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2005, 12:46 PM »
Yeah, the plug-in droid on Obi-Wan's ship has a different colored head (more purple than the preview droid) and he has a different color sticker than the R2-D2 sticker from Anakin's ship.

I had the two ships sitting side-by-side last night, and I almost prefer the dark tones of Obi-Wan's ship to Anakin's yellow.  The dark greys on it bring the ship one step closer to TIE Fighter, much more so thatn the yellow.

Jeff

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 7, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Yeah, the plug-in droid on Obi-Wan's ship has a different colored head (more purple than the preview droid) and he has a different color sticker than the R2-D2 sticker from Anakin's ship.

Well - this droid is supposed to be R4-P17, the same droid that was only a dome in Obi-Wan's previous Jedi Starfighter.

Fortunately for R4-P17, she will be destroyed by Buzz Droids in the opening sequence of ROTS which is why Obi-Wan needs a new astromech for his starfighter, which is R4-G9.

I'm thinking about grabbing another Preview Wave r4 when I see it so I can make the necessary (destructive) modifications to the droid so it will fit properly in the socket. I think the droid will fit if I either reduce the size of the feet or remove them entirely.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
How come OW's astromech looks different on his starfighter?
« Reply #7 on: March 7, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Hey how come he looks like he is a different color?

url=http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS/rots05obi-wanfighterloose.jpg&text=<i>Revenge%20of%20the%20Sith</i>%20Obi-Wan's%20Jedi%20Starfighter]ObiWan's Starfighter/url
« Last Edit: March 7, 2005, 04:31 PM by Jedirhino »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: How come OW's astromech looks different on his starfighter?
« Reply #8 on: March 7, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Hey how come he looks like he is a different color?

See Pete_Fett's Post above yours.   ;)

Well - this droid is supposed to be R4-P17, the same droid that was only a dome in Obi-Wan's previous Jedi Starfighter.

Fortunately for R4-P17, she will be destroyed by Buzz Droids in the opening sequence of ROTS which is why Obi-Wan needs a new astromech for his starfighter, which is R4-G9.

« Last Edit: March 7, 2005, 04:35 PM by Nataku »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Starfighter
« Reply #9 on: March 7, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Darn nasty buzz droids.  I want to see some pics of them loose... anyone got any? 

Also, I'm surprised they didn't make a 2-pk of them or something.

:P

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 8, 2005, 06:40 AM »
Makes sense now

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 8, 2005, 07:02 AM »
So I got a second R4-G9 on the way home last night and I was able to get the feet off of him in a reasonable manner - they separated at the seam so I can easily put them back on.

Even with the feet removed the astromech sits too high in the droid socket. Comparing the figure's front panel features to the sticker shows that there is at least a 1 CM difference in height between the plug-droid packed-in with the starfighter and actually using a R2 unit toy. Now the obstacle to getting the droid to look "right" in the socket is the main body itself - not the legs. So the socket itself is definitely NOT deep enough to fit any R2 unit. If they were going to make a socket, couldn't they have AT LEAST designed it to fit an R2 figure? Either that or include a "bonus" R4-G9 socket "plug" so you could depict Obi-Wan's fighter from either the start of the movie or when he flies to Utapau.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures last night so I'll do it tonight.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 8, 2005, 08:32 AM »
Seeing the pics over at RS of Obi's fighter, I really like the colorings on that version.  The Anakin one is nice too, but something just seems a bit "cooler" about Obi's ship.  I wasn't sure if I could justify picking it up right away since it is basically a repaint, but I think that is the one I'm looking forward to the most of the early leaked ships now.  Looks nice.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 8, 2005, 12:46 PM »

I'm thinking about grabbing another Preview Wave r4 when I see it so I can make the necessary (destructive) modifications to the droid so it will fit properly in the socket. I think the droid will fit if I either reduce the size of the feet or remove them entirely.

or just cut the head off another r4 and glue it to the plug in body.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 8, 2005, 12:54 PM »
or just cut the head off another r4 and glue it to the plug in body.

Yeah - if I could get a spare astromech plug and modify it, I would. However, I don't want to ruin my R4-P17 socket plug in the process.
Peter