Author Topic: March Madness - 2005  (Read 15279 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
March Madness - 2005
« on: March 9, 2005, 05:09 AM »
So, anyone into College hoops this year?  Getting excited for March Madness?  Your alma mater gonna make it to the dance?

I'm just excited that it looks like UCLA's gonna sneak in there this year, after not having much in the way of expectations for this season.  The win at Notre Dame last week, after the Irish beat Boston College earlier, cemented it for us, I think.

The field's looking pretty wide open this year, though Illinois should still be considered the favorite, despite some weak play of late.  Duke will be right in the mix again, as usual...

Anyone playing their office pools?  I ran, and won, ours a couple years in a row, but decided I should retire and just keep all my winnings after that!   ;)  Haven't played since, which is probably a good thing, since I get a little too agro on the research when this kinda stuff rolls around (like with the Fantasy Leagues I now avoid like the plague)...

So, who's gonna win it all this year?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: March Madness - 2005
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2005, 08:41 AM »
I'm getting hyped up for the Madness as well.  I don't follow college hoops incredibly close throughout the season, just watching a few games here and there (mostly UNC), but around this time I start paying much closer attention.  I have been a big North Carolina fan for as long as I can remember (elementary age or so), so I'm really hoping they can put it together this year.  Like you said Matt, the field seems to be wide open.  Our company usually has an office pool, the best I've ever finished is 2nd.  My wife won it all last year though (we allow spouses to enter if they want), somehow she picked Georgia Tech in the finals, and was the only one who did :).  As far as local colleges, well, Nebraska has no hope (NIT maybe?), but it looks like Creighton is in after winning the Missouri Valley Championship the other night.  A friend and I always take off work for that first Thursday and Friday, its always fun watching hoops all day basically, with these teams you would usually never see play.  Let the Madness begin...oh, and go Heels ;).

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2005, 08:52 AM »
I am into it more this year since Illinois (my state) is doing well.  Not really expecting them to win it all, but you never know. 

My former high school just made it to the state's elite 8 last night.  I went to the Super-Sectional Championship (final 16 teams).  That was exciting to see them make it.  It's a small school that rarely if ever makes it that far. 

So, March Madness is in the air for me you could say.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2005, 10:34 AM »
I much prefer college hoops to pro basketball, so it's the start of a really fun time.  I end up attending a meeting in the US usually during that week too, so it's great to be in the atmosphere.  Two years ago I was in Madison when Wisconsin won their first round game as the lower seeded team on a last second shot, so that was an incredible experience.  This year I'm off to Purdue, but the Boilermakers apparently suck this year, so I guess I'll watch the NCAA diving championships while I'm there ::)

Obviously I have no alma mater playing in this tourney, but I've been a long time Louisville fan so that's where my heart goes for the tournament.  Been a long drought for the Cards.

Office pools are too frustrating for words.  I've lost to people that pick on the basis of what color they like better ::) or which mascot would win if they were to fight head to head >:( 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Yeah, the current office pool has to be rigged.  The same guy has been the head of it 3 years straight.  Three straight years he has won.  How is that possible when we have like over one hundred people in on it? 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 08:11 PM »
Yeah, the current office pool has to be rigged.  The same guy has been the head of it 3 years straight.  Three straight years he has won.  How is that possible...

Earlier:
Anyone playing their office pools?  I ran, and won, ours a couple years in a row...

Are you calling me a cheater, Brian?!?   >:(   :P

I'd like it noted that we only had about 8-10 people in our pool each time, and only one or two of them actually knew anything about sports.  God, I love taking advantage of Sports idiots!   :D

But yeah, yours sounds a little fishy there Brian.  I'd demand a full refund (for all 3 years) if I were you...

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 08:16 PM »
Office pools are too frustrating for words.  I've lost to people that pick on the basis of what color they like better ::)

Sore loser  :-*
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 08:33 PM »
I'm just excited that it looks like UCLA's gonna sneak in there this year, after not having much in the way of expectations for this season.  The win at Notre Dame last week, after the Irish beat Boston College earlier, cemented it for us, I think.

Of course, no sooner do I say that, does UCLA go out and get bounced in the first round of the Pac-10 Tourney.  Then to add insult to injury, Boston College gets spanked again, lessening our formerly impressive win over the Irish.

I think we're now officially back on the bubble, after today's fiasco.   >:(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 09:26 AM »
Well the brackets are all set.  Bit of a surprise seeing Coaches' Poll #7 Washington get a 1 seed, while #4 Louisville gets a 4 seed.  It should be another fun tournament.  Some of my favorite basketball to watch, especially this opening weekend with all these unknown schools trying to slay the powerhouses.  Good luck to everyone's team(s)....Go Heels ;).

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Yeah, that Washington #1 was suprising.  Just glad UCLA snuck in there.  Backed in there, more like.  We get Bobby Knight and Texas Tech in the first round, but if we get past them, we're looking at Gonzaga.  Crossing fingers...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 02:39 PM »
Gophs made it too, #8 seed.  They played a weak ass non conference schedule and racked up 20 wins.  They play IA State in round 1, and then if they win, they'll get smoked by UNC :)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 02:40 PM »
Yeah... the national poll at ESPN has the Gophers beatin Iowa St., but look at the numbers for the eventual game vs. UNC:

UNC 98.8%
Minnesota 1.2%

:o

Not much faith in the Gophers beating UNC I guess...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 06:44 PM »
Oh yeah it's time for the big dance everyone. I'm hyped with the Fighting Illini's overall #1 seed in the tournament. While it won't be a cakewalk, the Chicago regional isn't as difficult as the other regionals and the Illini should definitely be in the final 4. They had a a below average performance in the Big 10 tourney, at least offensively, but if they can get their guards up to the speed they had during the regular season, no one can stop them!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 11:24 AM »
Yeah, the current office pool has to be rigged.  The same guy has been the head of it 3 years straight.  Three straight years he has won.  How is that possible...

Earlier:
Anyone playing their office pools?  I ran, and won, ours a couple years in a row...

Are you calling me a cheater, Brian?!?   >:(   :P

I'd like it noted that we only had about 8-10 people in our pool each time, and only one or two of them actually knew anything about sports.  God, I love taking advantage of Sports idiots!   :D

But yeah, yours sounds a little fishy there Brian.  I'd demand a full refund (for all 3 years) if I were you...

Yeah, you filthy $%^&* cheater!!!  LOL! 

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 08:58 AM »
Oh yeah it's time for the big dance everyone. I'm hyped with the Fighting Illini's overall #1 seed in the tournament. While it won't be a cakewalk, the Chicago regional isn't as difficult as the other regionals and the Illini should definitely be in the final 4. They had a a below average performance in the Big 10 tourney, at least offensively, but if they can get their guards up to the speed they had during the regular season, no one can stop them!

They have me a bit worried.  They have not shot the ball well the past 4 ballgames.  At least the other teams shot bad in the Big Ten Tourney as well.  Maybe it's just the United Center's rims? 

Really I think it depends on how well or off Dee Brown is.  It seems like if he is on fire the rest of the team just feeds off of him.  If not they kind of struggle.