Author Topic: March Madness - 2005  (Read 15276 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: March Madness - 2005
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 10:20 AM »
After Day 1:

Correct:
Illinois
Nevada
Boston College
UAB
Arizona
Washington
Gonzaga
West Virginia
Wake Forest
Utah
Oklahoma
Kentucky

Wrong
Alabama (lost to WI-Mil)
Pittsburg (lost to Pacific)
UCLA (lost to Texas Tech)
Iowa (lost to Cincinatti)

12-4 the first day, not too bad. 

The best part was that all of the losers I picked to win in the first round, I picked to lose in the second round, so my bracket isn't screwed yet...  :)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2005, 10:58 AM »
I lost 4 games yesterday as well.  Unfortunately I had LSU going to the Sweet 16.  That will probably kill me. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005, 12:53 PM »
...Just glad UCLA snuck in there.  Backed in there, more like.  We get Bobby Knight and Texas Tech in the first round, but if we get past them, we're looking at Gonzaga.  Crossing fingers...

Yeah, so that worked out real well...   >:(

Too many freshmen on our team.  Better luck next year, Bruins.  Thanks for the memories.   :-\

The SEC's feeling pretty lousy right around now too, I'd suspect.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2005, 12:58 PM »
Went 13-3 yesterday, losing LSU, Alabama and UTEP.  But like Jeff, not too worried.  I have them all losing next round.

Wake Forest was a little scary for awhile, losing at halftime.  Would have ****** me royally.  I have them going to the Final Four.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2005, 03:07 PM »
...Just glad UCLA snuck in there.  Backed in there, more like.  We get Bobby Knight and Texas Tech in the first round, but if we get past them, we're looking at Gonzaga.  Crossing fingers...

Yeah, so that worked out real well...   >:(

Yeah, thanks a lot.   >:(

It was only because of you I picked them in the first round, giving your team a positive buzz.  At least I had them losing to Gonzaga, so it didn't screw me up too much...

Jeff

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005, 05:48 PM »
I had six wrong so it looks like I am out of it.  My son had none....I hate him >:( ;)
Beth

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2005, 07:04 PM »
I'm 22/24 so far, with the 2 misses being games that were tied in the final minute (W. VA/Creighton & Ohio/Florida).  >:(

I went out on a limb and have some interesting picks (UW-Mil. over BC, Utah taking out both Oklahoma and Kentucky, etc.), so my bracket has lots of opportunities to go very, very wrong.
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2005, 12:53 AM »
I went out on a limb and have some interesting picks (UW-Mil. over BC, Utah taking out both Oklahoma and Kentucky, etc.), so my bracket has lots of opportunities to go very, very wrong.

Like, oh, I don't know, Vermont taking out Syracuse, who I had going to the Final Four. Oh well...
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2005, 01:30 AM »
Like, oh, I don't know, Vermont taking out Syracuse...

Yep, big upset.

But even bigger was Kansas getting waxed by Bucknell...  Who's the hell's Bucknell?

Shaping up to be an exciting tournament for the Cinderalla's this year.  I guess that's cool, since I don't have anyone to root for anymore...   :-\
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 01:38 AM by JediMAC »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2005, 02:05 AM »
Oh yeah it's time for the big dance everyone. I'm hyped with the Fighting Illini's overall #1 seed in the tournament. While it won't be a cakewalk, the Chicago regional isn't as difficult as the other regionals and the Illini should definitely be in the final 4. They had a a below average performance in the Big 10 tourney, at least offensively, but if they can get their guards up to the speed they had during the regular season, no one can stop them!

They have me a bit worried.  They have not shot the ball well the past 4 ballgames.  At least the other teams shot bad in the Big Ten Tourney as well.  Maybe it's just the United Center's rims? 

Really I think it depends on how well or off Dee Brown is.  It seems like if he is on fire the rest of the team just feeds off of him.  If not they kind of struggle.

I'm a bit worried too, they didn't have a strong Big Ten tourney and didn't seem to be the dominating force they should have been versus Fairleigh Dickinson. They best not take Nevada lightly, or there will be hell to pay. But I think if they play strong as they did at the end of the regular season, minus the trip to Ohio State, they can still go all the way.

And oh yeah, go Bucknell! beat all over that Kansas team, woooo! :)
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 11:30 AM »
I had Wake Forest going to the final four.  I am now officially screwed since the leaders of one of the pools I am in actually picked Wake Forest & Syracuse to lose.  The only consolation is my son is no longer sitting with his perfect score but he looks in good shape to win the 10 person family pool...damn kid.

Now I need my two Big 10 teams to help me out today and the way State played Friday night, I might be screwed in the office pool as well.  I'm comforable with Duke and NC and the Badgers should be able to hold of Bucknell (whereever the hell they are from) so the damage won't be too bad if that's true but State...damn...they got to start playing the ball they are capable of. 
Beth

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm officially screwed too.

I had Wake Forest in the Final Four and Kansas in the Elite Eight.  :(

In fact, after going 24-8 in the first two days, I was royally screwed yesterday - I only picked 4 winners (Illinois, Arizona, Washington, Kentucky) and ended up with 6 losers (BC, Gonzaga, Wake, OK and Kansas & Syra who didn't even win the first round).

Ah well, it's always fun to try.  Maybe next year...

Jeff

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 02:23 PM »
Oh yah!!  The wolfpack helped me out with that win!!  I have NC State vs. NC and every guy in the nieghborhood pool picked U-Conn to go to the final four.  Nice...this could work out well if the Big 10 comes through.  It's only a free steak dinner for the winner but bragging rights in the sub division is priceless :).
Beth

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2005, 09:10 AM »
Yeah, I'll join the club of people whose brackets are sufficiently screwed up at this point.  I had Wake Forest and Syracuse in the Final Four, and Kansas in the Elite Eight.  I know they say that someone picks all these games right every year, but I really find that hard to believe.  Anyone who had the Bucknell - Kansas upset picked was just out of pure luck, and then on top of that to have Syracuse and Wake losing early as well.  They must be genius.  At this point, I'm just hoping that the Heels can keep on winning (maybe this is finally the year again), and otherwise, the more upsets the better.  I always enjoy rooting for the underdog...as long as it isn't vs. UNC. :)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 08:31 AM »
Well hey look at this way.  In the town of Normal, Il (right next to where I live) the leaders right now are a 4 year old and a lady who knows nothing about basketball.  Just kind of picked the teams at random.