Author Topic: March Madness - 2005  (Read 15278 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: March Madness - 2005
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 02:27 AM »
oh man, how about that Illinois/Arizona game? probably the best game of the year as well as one of the most exciting comebacks ever in the sport. I just about had a stroke watching that game. the Illini down by 15 with only 3+ minutes left and they win by 1 in overtime. I was drained both emotionally and physically after watching it.  but now it's onto the final four baby, woooo!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 09:05 AM »
Just an absolutely crazy weekend of college hoops.  Some of the best games, 3 games in overtime (with one in double), comebacks, crazy threes, and upsets.  I'm just really happy that UNC got through unscathed, and I hope they are able to continue.  Should be a nice Final Four, and one that is somewhat surprising in some instances.

Michigan State vs. North Carolina
Louisville vs. Illinois

Good luck to everyone's teams or picks, and...Go Heels :).

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 02:08 PM »
yeah this will certainly go down as one of the, if not the greatest, Elite 8's ever. just amazing stuff.

GO ILL-INI!  ;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 07:44 PM »
yeah this will certainly go down as one of the, if not the greatest, Elite 8's ever. just amazing stuff.

Just what I was about to say.  Yeah, some absolutely amazing games this weekend, starting with that Arizona collapse against Illinois.  That sucked for Pac-10 fans, so that one bummed me out, since our conference is officially toast now.

We watched the other games as well, and even had a pretty close contest with Wisconsin against NC.  Came down to the final minute in that one as well, with NC finally sealing the deal there, unfortunately.

That Kentucky shot at the buzzer to send it into OT has to be one of the top 5 College shots of all-time.  That was like in the movies, where the ball hangs on the rim for several seconds, with everyone in the building nervous with anticipation, before finally rattling through the hoop.  Of course, unlike the movies, Kentucky didn't quite wind up winning that game.  Glad to see Mich. St. pull through though...

Hopefully the Final 4 is equally entertaining!   8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2005, 07:54 PM »
I was hoping for a Kentucky Louisville final, but the announcers jinxed it by mentioning it last night :-\  Still pulling for the Cards though.  I don't hate Pitino like a lot of people seem too and it would be mighty cool to wander around C3 wearing my Louisville hat and shirt being an ass :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 08:35 AM »
Obviously since I live in central Illinois I was all for the Illini.  I thought they were deader than a doornail.  Nope! 

It should be a wild Final Four I would imagine.  Everyone seems to be able to beat anyone really.  I don't think any team is head and shoulders above the rest. 

I am just happy Illinois made it to the Final Four.  It rarely happens for us. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 2, 2005, 10:56 PM »
Illinois vs UNC by the looks of things.  Good game with Louisville for a while, but how do you beat a team that shoots that well in the second half and played fantastic defense.  I was disappointed with Louisville's offense more than anything else.  They seemed really tentative.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 3, 2005, 10:53 AM »
Well they have been a joy to watch the entire season.  The whole area where I live loves this team to death.  I am glad they are in the championship game.  I just hope they can pull it all together for one more game.  UNC is going to be really hard to beat though.  But Illinois can do it I think if they shoot the ball well.  Illinois just has that certain something that makes them really hard to beat.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 3, 2005, 11:59 PM »
Only one thing to say about the big game tomorrow...

Go I-L-L-I-N-I!  ;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 4, 2005, 09:13 AM »
I'm so happy that Carolina was able to pull off the W on Saturday and make it to the championship.  Going to be awfully tough against Illinois, who seem to run their offense with great proficiency.  Should be a good game at least, and I hope entertaining for everyone.  Go Heels :).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: April 4, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Wow what a great game that was!  My sympathy to the Illini fans here.  I wasn't really pulling for either team but found myself hoping the Tar Heels would win for some reason.  I think because Illinois was setting those crap screens the last 5 minutes (similar to the Arizona game)  I had picked Illinois to win it and they are a Big 10 School so I'm suprised I did that, sorry :-\

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 5, 2005, 02:02 AM »
****!

So depressed now about it, thankfully I'm at work and it's keeping my mind off of the loss for the most part. I feel so bad for the Illini players, they had the game just out of their reach. Worse part will be tomorrow when everyone says the better team won, which will be a crock. Both teams were pretty even I think, the only difference being that Sean May was allowed to play as a goddamn linebacker instead of a forward. Should be used to this kind of disappointment by now....
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: April 5, 2005, 03:55 AM »
I was pulling for the Illini, for the simple reason that NC's already won 3 of these things.  But alas, it wasn't meant to be.  Of course, shooting an NCAA record 40 three-pointers didn't help matters for them, especially when they only connected on 12 of them...  They needed to develop more of an inside presence at some point, but due to Sean May scaring the poor guys to death in there, they just kept settling for the long range bombing.  Poor game plan, which should've been altered a bit at some point in the game, I think.

But the better more talented team won.  NC could be sending anywhere from 3 to 5 of those guys to the NBA next year, so they certainly had the studs to make it happen, and thank God for Roy Williams having those players, to finally get that gorilla off his back.  He would've been screwed had they not held onto this one.  Sorry Brian R. and Jason, and any other IL fans out there...

NCAA hoops.  That's a wrap!  See ya'll next year, when UCLA will surprise everyone with a return to their former glory.  Yeah.  You heard it here first...  8)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 5, 2005, 08:06 AM »
Well that one hurt for us Illini faithful.  I could not be prouder of the team though.  Despite the Illini's poor play the first half and a few questionable non-calls on Sean May (and some ticky-tack calls on Augustine) Illinois almost pulled off another miracle comeback. 

Down 15 points and got it down to 2.  Went down another 10 points and tied it up with 2:01 to go.  I thought Illinois was going to squirt ahead there and possibly steal the game or at least get a lead.  Close but no cigar.

North Carolina was a ton though.  So congrats to them.