Author Topic: ROTS Clone Trooper #06  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
ROTS Clone Trooper #06
« on: March 9, 2005, 11:59 PM »
Ok, wife called it a night, so I was itching to take some pics and do a bit of a review of the clone trooper I picked up yesterday.  So I dragged him in out of the car and played around a bit.  I also snagged one of my two SA clones for a little comparison. 

A little blurry (they get better) but you can see the scale is pretty good and they differ in only a couple of places.  The helmet is obvious, but the left shoulder is different and the new clone does not have the articulation in the waist that the SA clone does.  You can see the SA twists better (well, at all is the right way to phrase it) but also note his right arm can straighten completely, something the action feature prevents the new clone from doing.

One thing you're going to have to be careful of when opening this guy is that there are two parts hidden in the package.  I almost missed them, but there are two shoulder pads hidden in behind the picture of the clone trooper on the inner bubble.  I didn't notice them initially and one of my early complaints was that the one shoulder looked really weird.  The next picture shows why: there are two peg holes that the shoulder pad fits into.  The pic is a bit blurry, but you can see the hole...

One shoulder pad is plain, no markings.

The other has an Imperial insignia, a harbinger of some change coming in the course of the movie.

Sorry about a couple of the pics again, I couldn't get the to rotate in photobucket and I'm too lazy to reload them :P

You can clearly see the differences in the right and left shoulder in this shot.  Paint is different and it looks like they just didn't bother to take the black as far :-\

As far as poseability goes, they're pretty close to equal.  The ankle articulation is superior in the SA clone, who also has the waist articulation.  During training, they were fairly evenly matched. 

But the superiority of the SA clone shone through at a critical point:

The right arm of the new clone trooper is clearly hampered by the action feature.  He just can't get it as high as the SA clone and that could spell trouble when trying to get the attention of your training sargeant.  Fortunately in this case, it was enough.

Both troopers were able to take the necessary break being certain to not break the unspoken rule of looking away.  You can see the effect the action feature has on the, um, posterior region and hips.  Only the right leg moves to initiate the action feature, but the hips do little in the way of movement, so it won't be nearly as poseable as the SA clone. 

The SA clone came only with the blaster.  It appears that this blaster is identical to the new one that the new clone comes with as well.  Plastic is not too bad, not overly flimsy so it should stand up well.  The difference in size you see is just an artifact of the camera angle, they're identical.  New blaster is above in the picture.

The new clone also comes with a rifle.  It's the same sculpt as those that came with the clone commander (red designation?) and the two pack clones.  The plastic is about the exact same consistency but on mine at least, the silver speckling has been reduced.  The new rifle is on top in the pic.  They are identical in size.

It's not a perfect figure and like most of you, I'd be really happy without the action feature.  With the action feature though it is still leaps and bounds ahead of the red clone we received as a basic figure for Episode II.  So they stepped it up a notch here.  I will be picking up more of these guys, no doubt about that. 

I'll try and fix the rotation of the pics and if I get really motivated, reshoot some.  JD can feel free to host them if they like :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 12:06 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS Clone Trooper #06
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Excellent job, Brent!

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm pretty bummed the action feature is hampering the movement of the clone.  :'(
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Clones! Me like Clone troopers! He's on my first day list!
 ;D
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 11:13 PM »
Brent, what is the background you took these on?

I liked the humor.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 02:18 AM »
Good review. Sucks that the clone isn't perfect, but it will do great until we get that SA #41 Clone.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 09:11 AM »
I wasn't going to pick one up, due to the action feature - but you've convinced me to get at least one. Great review... Thanks for the photos!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 01:21 PM »
Thanks guys.  I really should clean up those pictures though :-[

Kevin, the background is the bottom of my box/case from the Series 2 bustups.  The front of the box is nice and has the Star Wars logo emblazoned on it, but I couldn't find anything suitable to exclude the "Bustups" that is immediately below it, so I just turned it around.  It works really nicely because of the star pattern and the reflectivity.  I couldn't find something suitable to lay out on the base, I was hoping for a nice, clean heavy black cloth but couldn't find any, so that's the top of the old computer desk.  A little more reflective than I like.

To answer your question you posed in the bust up thread, the Spiderman statue you see just off to the side is an old bust I picked up many years ago when things were sculpted by hand.  Can't remember the artist, but I paid a pretty penny for it in the day.  I have a much nice Marvel Collectors Club bust than that one, but I haven't bothered throwing it up on ebay yet, mostly for fear of losing money on it.  It's older and nice in that respect, but I suspect there may not be such a huge market for a visually inferior piece.  I'll probably drop it up there with a reserve price on it and see what happens, but I ain't holding my breath. 

This clone is a decent figure, save that arm and the wider butt.  I'll be buying more of them on the second, mostly because I don't expect to see #41 for quite some time. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 01:25 PM »

I love the gratuitous ass shot here.  Excellent work, B.

And yeah, those bulky shoulder pads look kinda crappy...   :-\

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 01:30 PM »
I think Brent should scratch build a couple of urinals for that shot, looks like they gotta go real bad!  ;D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 01:41 PM »
This clone is a decent figure, save that arm and the wider butt.

Note to self. Brent does not like more 'junk in the trunk' as it were.

Thanks for answering those.

Now I want a few bust-up boxs as a backdrop for my dioramas.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 01:52 PM »
I think Brent should scratch build a couple of urinals for that shot, looks like they gotta go real bad!  ;D

I tried to get some of the trough from the old arena, but they kept muttering something about a health code violation ::)  Inspired by DeanPaul to put figures in absurd poses, that's me.  Probably should have included a small puddle at the bottom by their feet too, you know how people are ;)

Maybe I can build an elaborate bathroom diorama....