Author Topic: Vroom! Jedidefender NASCAR thread  (Read 32069 times)

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Vroom! Jedidefender NASCAR thread
« Reply #105 on: September 3, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Night racing from Atlanta this Sunday at 7:00pm (Eastern) on ESPN!
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2009, 01:24 PM »
Not strictly a NASCAR comment.  But anyone follow Formula 1?  Today Renault fired their top two people!  During a race last year the team instructed one of their drivers (Nelson Piquet Jr.) to crash in order to bring out a safety car (yellow flag); this allowed their star driver Fernando Alonso to get out of sequence with his main rivals and allowed him to win the race, when his car was not as good as many others.  This is very dangerous not only to the driver who crashed (you want to hit a concrete wall at 150-200 mph in a car that weighs sometihng like 1700 lbs?), but also to other drivers (any impact shatters carbon fiber wings on the car, leaving razor sharp pieces on the track which tend to shred tires, causing other accidents....) but also potentially to fans and track workers (this was at a street course with very close proximity to fans, etc.).  This came out this year because Renault fired Piquet for not being fast enough and wouldn't you know it, that left a bad taste in his mouth, and the best way to get rid of a bad taste is to talk to the press.

I like Fernando, but this will shake things up a lot.

In re: to NASCAR.  I'm happy that JPM made the chase.  They made it by being pretty boring (consistent top tens, without really challenging for too many wins will do that).  Hopefully they've been running at about 80% to be safe and can turn it up a bit and win a couple races before the year is out; I don't think they'll win it all (more likely Mark Martin, Jimmy Johnson or Tony Stewart), but its good to see him make the playoffs.
I am not the Stig

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Hadn't heard about that F1 story, that's crazy.
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2009, 11:17 PM »
Thanks for the news Keonobi... I follow F1 and hadn't heard that yet. Am checking out the site now! This has been a rather interesting year.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2009, 10:48 AM »
So Briatore (the team boss; and Heidi Klum's baby-daddy interestingly..) gets a lifetime ban from Formula 1, Pat Symonds gets a five year ban and Renault pretty much gets a warning that if they mess up again they'll be kicked out.

I caught the last 45 or so laps of the race from Loudon.  NASCAR got their usual quota of about a dozen restarts in the last 50 laps, so they like that...  I like JPM, but I was happy that Mark Martin beat him.  I've heard a couple times where Mark talked about the respect he has for Juan Pablo, and I think that was reciprocated on Sunday.  In a brief pit lane interview Juan Pablo said the Mark moved down on him a little on the last restart and he could have bumped him, but that would have wrecked him, and he wasn't going to do that.
I am not the Stig