Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 14189 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Fishing
« on: May 23, 2003, 02:43 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen a topic on any other message board on the fine sport of fishing so this may go down in flames.  Any one here fish?  Bass fishing opens here tomorrow and I hope to get down to my folks house and throw a line in the Mississippi

They live around a 1/4 mile from the river in one of the best Smallmouth Bass spots in North America so I guess I am a little spoiled there but I usually go on two or three trips a year.  Last winter I went up to Lake of the Woods on the Canuckian/Minnesota border and cleaned up on the walleyes, this summer will consist of a trip to northen MN and possibly a night on the Mississippi catfishing.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 03:13 PM »
One of my favorite relaxing sports, fishing. I just love getting up early & going fishing for Rainbow Trout. Over the past few years, I never missed a weekend for fishing no matter what season it was. I'll have to find my pictures of the Fly-in fishing trip I went on up north around 6 years ago & post them here.

Favorite fish:
Ranbow Trout.
Pickerel.
Pearch.           Alberta Small Mouth Bass.   ;D
Jackfish.         Good fighters.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 03:13 PM »
I do a bunch of fishing, walleye mostly, jigging and trolling.  The second true sport after hunting!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 04:00 PM »
I used to go fishing with my grandfather and brother when I was a kid, but haven't really done any fishing since I was about 16.  We would go out on the boat up in Door County, Wisconsin, and go trolling most of the time for Bass.  If we didn't go out on the boat we would go fishing on the point of our property (casting for Bass).  It was a lot of fun, but I never ate the fish (I hate seafood) so I never had to do the cleaning of the fish.  My grandfather did all that work.  :)
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 04:08 PM »
there's a fine line between fishing and sitting there looking like an idiot.   :P

Sorry, don't remember the movie, but I haven't the patience for fishing, especially where I am down south.  Taking a whole day to catch your limit?  Yawn.  Got spoiled by my father-in-law (rest his soul) up north where you'd catch your limit of considerably larger fish in an hour or less.  

Too much else to do and I don't like paying people to do the work I should and can do myself.  Yard, house, car.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 05:22 PM »
Chris I live in the gateway to door county. I used to fish a lot when I had a differnt shift but lately not very often. The perch fishing was great up there. I also like bass and northern, muskie is great fun as well. Fisg=hing season opened here in WI a couple of weeks ago and I haven't went yet but I plan to get some in before summers out.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2003, 05:46 PM »
I had a bitchin' 20 gallon fish tank in college.  Lots of cool fish in there!  They even used to eat eachother sometimes.  But I never let anyone cast a fishing line into my tank though.  Except when I was really hammered...   :P

We did host a Goldfish eating contest in my dorm room freshman year though.  Now that was a wild night!   8)

Oh yeah, went deep sea fishing with my Dad once when I was about 12.  We both spent the entire trip yacking in a trash can though, so that wasn't too much fun...   :-\

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 09:37 PM »
I've done my fair share of fishing in upstate NY.  Mainly trout, perch, and sunnies.

I prefer to do deep-sea fishing.  Mainly for Bluefish, Striped Bass, fluke.  I'd like to take a trip out to the deepwater canyons and go for tuna.  A sizable tuna can wind up paying for the whole trip, and then some.  You should see the sushi chefs waiting at the docks for these boats to get back!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 01:42 PM »
I went yesterday, skunked.  The Mighty Miss is running way too high and fast right now for Smallies...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 01:52 PM »
Again, fine line between fishing and sitting there looking like... :P :-*

Just kidding.  One thing that fishing is great for is getting to know your kid.  My dad took me lots and I did enjoy it then.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 02:11 PM »
For everyone of you out there golfing, there's one less on the lake!  :-*  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 02:17 PM »
I do own a fresh water pole and only really use when I go up to Maine.  I did catch an at least 4 lb large mouth bass on it, but since no one was with me, nobody believes me  >:(

I do wish I can go deep sea fishing more often.  I'm not in Matt's boat where I "chum" all day  ;) and just love being out in the open ocean.  One time, it was me, my father, his friend and his son, about 28 miles off the coast of Atlantic City.  We didn't catch much that day but being so far out was cool.  We did see a huge sunfish though.

Another time, same group, not as far out.  We hit a school of blues and were reeling in fish after fish.  I swear, we must have caught 200 fish that (which might be an exaggeration due to my then teenage mind, but it was quite alot of fish).  It was getting to the point where, if we caught a small fish, we'd leave it on the line and throw it back in as "bait" for larger fish.  A pretty cool day  ;D
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2003, 02:19 PM »
For everyone of you out there golfing, there's one less on the lake!  :-*  

I do my own kind of fishing on the golf course :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: August 4, 2003, 10:54 AM »

Me and my buds out on the lake last week (action shot)...we caught quite a few Largemouth Bass using plastic worms around the docks and pontoons...fun fun fun! :-*

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 4, 2003, 12:58 PM »
Nice picture Scott.  8)
Well I found some of my pictures of the Fly-in trip. It was actually 9 yrs ago. We drove to Fort McMurray & from there we flew into Fort Chipewyan, then we boarded a Bush Beaver Plane & flew into McLelland Lake. Here is a map to show you were the lake is:

This lake has Northern Pike up to 40 lbs., Lake Trout up to 40 lbs. & Walleye up to 12 lbs.  We were a couple of weeks to early so the average we caught was 6 to 8 lbs.  :(  5 days of out in the middle of nowhere.  8)

This is a group pic of my friends & I just after we landed.

Picture of me at the cleaning station & doing my imitation of Garth Brooks!  ;D
Those radio heads sets came in handy!

A beautifull pic of the lake in the evening. Just gets a little darker than that later on. I was fishing at 2:00 am in the boat.

This is what woke us up just outside the cabin on the 3rd day in!  :o

After shooting the bear with our cameras for 5 mins, I decided to grab the rifle incase he got goofy. We named him Lizard & he was only a shoo bear & just a cub. The pilot that picked us up gave me heck for not shooting him. He said that when he gets older, he will be a problem. I told the pilot that we were in his country, his home & unless he was a problem to us, let him be free. Lizard didn't bother us one bit.  :)  

Scott, you gotta go on one of these trips.  :-*