Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 14231 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Fishing
« Reply #15 on: August 4, 2003, 01:04 PM »
Oh yeah that is one of my dreams, Canadian Fly In for some monster Pike...we were actually planning on driving to a place in So. Ontario but it got scrapped due to various planning difficulties, perhaps next year.

Nice pics Dale, sounds like a great time! :-*
« Last Edit: August 4, 2003, 01:04 PM by OCB »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 4, 2003, 01:27 PM »
Someday, I will go back at the right time.  ;)  Northern Pkie, up here, anything less than 20 lbs., we call a pissed off teenager!  ;D

My dream Pike!   ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 4, 2003, 08:33 PM »
I do own a fresh water pole and only really use when I go up to Maine.  I did catch an at least 4 lb large mouth bass on it, but since no one was with me, nobody believes me  >:(

I do wish I can go deep sea fishing more often.  I'm not in Matt's boat where I "chum" all day  ;) and just love being out in the open ocean.  One time, it was me, my father, his friend and his son, about 28 miles off the coast of Atlantic City.  We didn't catch much that day but being so far out was cool.  We did see a huge sunfish though.

Another time, same group, not as far out.  We hit a school of blues and were reeling in fish after fish.  I swear, we must have caught 200 fish that (which might be an exaggeration due to my then teenage mind, but it was quite alot of fish).  It was getting to the point where, if we caught a small fish, we'd leave it on the line and throw it back in as "bait" for larger fish.  A pretty cool day  ;D

I've had this happen too.  You run into a school of bluefish, and they're just in a feeding frenzy.  I pulled at least 13 blues out myself one time, and one was the pool winning fish of the trip.  I think that one was around 8 or 9 pounds.  And this was early in the season.  They get even bigger come October, usually about 20 pounds or so.  

Bluefish are such a good fighting fish, but they're terrible for eating.  They're really oily, and there's only a few good ways to prepare them.  If you want a good eating deepsea fish go for stripers, fluke, or flounder.  At least in the northeast, that is.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2003, 08:36 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 4, 2003, 08:55 PM »
No no no, you all have it very wrong...You need to come to the Hudson River when the Stripers are up in may...You catch some bait, cast out and just relax, and youll have a 3-4 foot fish hooked in no time. Granted not every trip produces Big @$$ Fish, but my last two did.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 4, 2003, 09:38 PM »
I live less than ten miles from the river.  Where do you fish for Stripers?

Feedback

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 5, 2003, 01:48 PM »
We usualy cast out from a boat, with a guide by the name of Don Wood, and we go out from the Henry Hudson park landing. Its great fishing from shore there as well!

Kevin

NEVER...EVER FISH the COEYMANS LANDING....Baaaad steel wires are all down in there from when they put in and took out docks...I hooked the biggest Catfish of my life, and it rolled my line around the chord and we had to cut it...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 5, 2003, 01:54 PM »
I've heard that the Piermont Pier, just south of the Tappan Zee Bridge is a pretty good spot, too.  Ever gone for Stripers there?

Feedback

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 5, 2003, 02:08 PM »
I've heard that the Piermont Pier, just south of the Tappan Zee Bridge is a pretty good spot, too.  Ever gone for Stripers there?

No such luck. Down by the city sorta eh?

Ive mostly gone out, and once we managed to go under the twin bridges to a spot to fish there.

Kevin

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 5, 2003, 02:18 PM »
Are you guys taking about this?  :o

stripersonline.com 50 pound stripers

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 5, 2003, 02:24 PM »
Yeah, those would be them...The biggest one I cought was 36" and abouuut...30lbs...That was 2 years ago...this year my grandpa reeled in a 40lb striper.

Kevin

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 5, 2003, 02:29 PM »
 8)  Scott's coming to Canada for some slimy Jackfish & I want to head down there for some big old Stripers! So this fish put up a good fight?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: August 5, 2003, 02:31 PM »
Slimy?  Actually, you all should come to my hometown and we can do some Smally Fishing on the Mississippi, now that is fun

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 5, 2003, 02:36 PM »
Jackfish (Pike) do not show up on a fish finder. That slim on them is a cloaking sleath slim!  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: December 3, 2003, 10:19 AM »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Gone Fishing...
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2004, 02:47 PM »
So today I skipped school, with my grandpa, who skipped work, and went fishing for Striped Bass aka "stripers". We managed to catch a 25lb striper, which actually pulled my grandpa over, onto the floor of the boat, and almost off the boat. Ended up taking me to pull the thing in. I also cought a 16lb one, an 8lb one, and a 12lb one. It was a good trip.

So, who else fishes?

Kevin

Also, to the driver of that Yacht that just HAD to pass that barge, knocking myself, Don Wood (grandpa's friend with the boat), and myself over, and nearly capsizing the bass boat. Screw you.

To the driver of the huge yacht called Sparrow Hawk, screw you too. Nice boat.