Author Topic: NFL 2003/04  (Read 60452 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
NFL 2003/04
« on: April 24, 2003, 09:45 AM »
With the draft comming up shortly are you anticipating your team to grab the great pick or the big bust.

I am hoping that the Pack picks up a couple needed position players but if the past drafts are any indication I will be left wondering what the hell were they thinking again. I like to watch the draft shows. How about the rest of you football fans?

Also does any one draft pick ring out to you as the big losser? As a Pack fan I still remember passing on Barry Sanders to get Tony Manderich.  :'(
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NFL draft
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 10:39 AM »
Saturday ranks right up there with me for all time time wasters...it seriously is one of my favorite days of the year.  I am a sick, sick man!

ANyway the Vikes have the #7 pick this year and I am actually hoping they trade down unless Suggs is still available.  They need D-Line help and I am not totally sold on Kennedy from Penn State or CB Trufant out of Wash St.

Me and my buddies have 2 Mock Draft Games every year, the NBA Lottery one which is called the Scott E. Roth Memorial Cup for Excellence in Mock NBA Drafting) and the NFL Draft which is called the Esera Tuaolo Memorial Cup for Excellence in Mock NFL Drafting.  We actually have two little trophies that go around to each house and it resides there until the next year.  

Anyway here are my picks for the first 15:

#1 Cincy Carson Palmer
#2 Detroit Charles Rogers
#3 Houston Andre Johnson
#4 Chicago Dewayne Robertson
#5 Dallas Terrance Newman
#6 Arizona Terrell Suggs
#7 Minnesota Jimmy Kennedy
#8 Jacksonville Byron Leftwich
#9 Carolina Marcus Trufant
#10 Baltimore Kyle Boller
#11 Seattle Jordan Gross
#12 Saint Louis Boss Bailey
#13 New York Jets Kevin Williams
#14 New England Jonathan Sullivan
#15 San Diego Chris Kelsay

This year has a ton of DT's available, in fact up to 7 or 8 could go in the first round.  Which is amazing...should be fun!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 01:23 PM »
The Pats are looking to get an interior D lineman to plug the middle and move Seymour to DE (they're plan on playing a 3-4 this year).  Right now, the rumor is them giving up their two #1's to Chicago and draft fourth to get Robertson.  If that doesn't happen, I still feel they'll try to move up ahead of the Jets as I have a stinking suspicion that they'll try to pooch the Pats. (as the Pats did to them when they drafted Matt Light a few years back)

If they don't move up, hopefully Sullivan will be there at 14, who should work well with Seymour (both Georgia grads and Sullivan backed up Seymour while they were both there).  Look for the Pats to get a O lineman with the 19th pick.

I also heard rumors of Houston swapping (plus a few in subsquent rounds) with Cinncy to take Rogers at #1.  Both Houston and Detroit need a wide out to go with their young QB.  Cinncy would still be able to take Palmer at #3.  I think it would be advantageous for Cinncy to do this.  They move up higher in the second round, still get their #1 player and wouldn't  have to pay him #1 pick money.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 09:06 PM »
See now that would make sense Mikey, at that is not Cincy's forte.  I guess they always would run the risk of someone then trading into #2 and taking Palmer away from them.

My hope is that someone will jump up into the top 6 and take Leftwich (Oakland?) before he goes at 8...that would mean Suggs or Newman would fall to Purple.  The right piece will for sure make them a NFC threat this year with their free agent signings on D and still potent O.  If Daunte can hold onto the ball, watch out NFL

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2003, 04:40 PM »
OK now that the draft has came and went. Most teams already held a mini camp. Are you happy with the picks your teams made?

This year I can honestly say that I wasn't wondering what the Pack was doing with their picks. I feel they picked up some pretty good talent. Hell any LB has to be better than Hardy Nickerson was last year for us..
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2003, 04:44 PM »
After cooling down a little, I am happy with what the Vikings got, it sucks they weren't able to close the deal to get more picks...

I hope they didn't make a Derrick Alexander/Warren Sapp mistake by taking Williams over Suggs.  Suggs seems small to me, the college numbers show he has the talenet though.  We needed someone in the middle

I am really excited about the drafting of Onterrio Smith in the 4th round, great pick, brings back a David Palmer/Amp Lee type third down back and gives them awesome Bronco type depth at RB.

Supposedly they got 3 of what they considered 1st rounders with the first three picks we shall see

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2003, 05:13 PM »
I'm OK with who the Bears chose, and I'm actually excited to see Rex Grossman play for the Bears.  I really think they're going to have a great year this year.  I'm more excited to see Kordell Stewart play for them.
dustrho

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2003, 12:04 AM »
I'm OK with who the Bears chose, and I'm actually excited to see Rex Grossman play for the Bears.  I really think they're going to have a great year this year.  I'm more excited to see Kordell Stewart play for them.

Yeah, but waht did you think of Kordell saying that he's not interested in teaching Grossman?  I thought that was kind of cold.  Obviously, Kordell has to learn the Bears offense as well, but he's certainly going to be a quicker study.  He doesn't have the time or willingness to teach a rookie?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: May 7, 2003, 12:35 AM »
Yeah, but waht did you think of Kordell saying that he's not interested in teaching Grossman?  I thought that was kind of cold.  Obviously, Kordell has to learn the Bears offense as well, but he's certainly going to be a quicker study.  He doesn't have the time or willingness to teach a rookie?

I think Kordell said that because his contract is only for what, one or two years, and he's thinking he probably won't be around long enough to have an impact on Grossman.  Who really knows why Kordell said something as stupid as that.
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
NFL Offseason '04
« Reply #9 on: June 4, 2003, 03:53 PM »
BRIAN URLACHER SIGN'S NINE YEAR DEAL WITH DA BEARS!

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) -- All-Pro linebacker Brian Urlacher has agreed to a new, nine-year deal that will keep him with the Chicago Bears through the 2011 season.

Terms of the deal were not immediately available.

Urlacher, the ninth overall pick in the 2000 draft, has 527 career tackles. He's led the Bears in stops in each of his first three seasons, averaging 175 a year.

With 214 tackles last season, he set a franchise record, shattering the previous mark of 190 set by Hall of Famer Dick Butkus in 1972. He won rookie of the year honors in 2000.

In addition to being Chicago's top defensive player, Urlacher has quickly become a fan favorite. He's earned Pro Bowl honors each season and was the top defensive vote-getter by fans last year. His jersey was the top seller in the NFL last season.
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Urlacher Signs 9-yr Deal!
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2003, 02:05 PM »
Yep, being a Bear's fan I am happy to hear that.  Kind of a no-brainer to do this but glad they did it.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2003, 03:35 PM »
Finally, another person has replied to this thread of mine, and best of all it's a Bears' fan!   ;D

DA BEARS!!!
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2003, 04:25 PM »
Da Bearzzzz  :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: June 6, 2003, 09:14 AM »
IMO Chris and like I said my opinion, he is overrated and they are paying him way to much.  Sure he is a great LB but he is no LT and probably not even a Singletary...in all of the Bears-Vikes games I've seen him play I have never seen him dominate a game like Derrick Brooks will or Warren Sapp does.  

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #14 on: June 6, 2003, 10:15 AM »
He's not a Lawrence Taylor.  He's not Mike Singletary.  But when you think about all the linebackers in the league today he's definitely one of the top 5 out there.  He's in on almost every single tackle.  He plays on every single down, unlike Randy Moss who plays when only HE wants to play.

You want to talk about someone getting overpaid and who's overrated Scott?  What about Daunte Culpepper?  He had the crappiest season of his career last year, but yet he got a contract extension for boo-koo bucks.

Out of all the players on the Bears' team, Brian Urlacher is the best, and there's no way the Bears organization was going to let him go.

I love sports... it's one of the best topics of debate!   ;D
dustrho