Author Topic: NFL 2003/04  (Read 60431 times)

Fettish Sez Thanks

Re: NFL 2003
« Reply #315 on: January 11, 2004, 10:59 PM »
They're about as nameless and uninteresting as the Florida Marlins were when they won the World Series a few months ago.

Nameless and Uninteresting? Julius Peppers was the 2002 NFL Defensive Rookie of the year, on top of winning the Lombardi + Bednarik Awards while at Carolina. Stephen Davis, Kris Jenkins, Steve Smith, Mike Rucker? 2 of these guys are starting in the Pro Bowl,  and 1 reserve (Davis), BTW.

Thats actually probably to their advantage. They're underrated, and apparently they are bowling over everyone that overlooked their talent.

To go from 1-15 a full 2 years ago to 13-5, and 1 game away from the Super Bowl makes for a pretty interesting Cinderella story. To me, anyway.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 12, 2004, 12:04 AM »
I'm glad to see it come down to the Eagles and Panthers, they're both good teams.

That said though, I think the Superbowl is going to be an AFC victory.

the only thing about that is that IF the Pack had won, they'd played in Charlotte  for the NFC and I was trying hard to find someone with ticket connections. My wife talks to a cousin who lives in charlotte and says he gets free tickets all the time; then the Eagles win so it doesn't matter.
But I gotta pull for the Panthers to win over the eagles and return to Houston (thankfully NOT playing the Texans where the panthers gave the game away)!! IT'll be Panthers vs Patriots for superbowl 38!!!
Panthers win on a kasay fg - in overtime!!! :)
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #317 on: January 12, 2004, 12:14 AM »
I'll agree with Matt, the Panthers are not sexy like the Eagles or Colts, they aren't loaded with stars, they aren't national media darlings.  But they proved something to me yesterday (besides exposing Martz for an idiot again)  They won without Davis, they won without a big time Qb and they won by shutting down the Rams with an awesome D.  Sounds much like the Ravens, Patriots and Bucs of the last 3 champs.  They have a huge shot to beat the Eagles IMO, their D is a ton better than the Rastafarian Slackers...I think Steve Smith is better than Dante Hall who is good but a ton overhyped.  I like their chances...

I'm leaning Colts just because they are hot right now but its hard not to say the Pats for the same reason listed above.  And actually, I'll be cheering for either AFC team this year since they have both won a Super Bowl.  We don't need another team getting their first ring before the Vikes :P

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #318 on: January 12, 2004, 12:32 AM »
Just goes to show that unsung heroes can do the job just as well as roster stacked, championship mainstays.

I wasn't implying anything spiteful by what I said above, but setting NFL records by winning close games makes the Cats one of the most exciting team in the NFL to watch!

Although, when I move back in MN this September, I am hoping the Vikes have their **** together. I'll be attending as many games as possible, due to my  new found overwhelming obsession with football, and I want to enjoy the games.

They still wont be my default favorite team by way of location. Thats Alison's territory.  :P

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2004, 08:40 AM »
  the Packs loss was a tough loss for me Sunday. I agree the pass was a WTF moment. There were a few of those though. 4th and 26 and they let the Eagles convert.   Now its time to root for a Colts Carolina super bowl.   GO Colts :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 09:16 AM by Reconsgt »
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 12, 2004, 10:15 AM »
I'll take a win any way it comes, but the Pack gave that game to the Eagles.  

-Going for it on 4th down at the 1 instead of taking the sure field goal

-Not going for it on 4th and inches to seal the game.  The Pack had been running all over the Eagles all day.  I'm sure Andy Reid would have gone for it in the same situation.  You have to be aggressive in the playoffs.

-Giving up a fourth and 26th play.  Good coverage there Pack  ::)

-A Favre pass, right after a terrific stand by your defense, that my 18 month old niece could have intercepted.  Horrible.  He's been doing that his whole career and he paid the price on that one.

Sherman's play calling in the latter stage of the game almost rivals Martz's.  

I'm still sticking with my SB prediction I made late in the season - Patriots vs. Eagles.  My personal dream Super Bowl and I would be estatic with either one winning.  

Go Patriots!!

Go Eagles!!
Common sense isn't so common

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 12, 2004, 07:25 PM »
Sherman's play calling in the latter stage of the game almost rivals Martz's.  

almost...but Martz is still the King of Idiots for play calling.

Anyways....I'm looking forward to a Colts and Eagles  Superbowl but as long as my pool numbers come up, I don't really care anymore.
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #322 on: January 16, 2004, 10:49 AM »
Doesn't sound good on Davis so....

I'm going to say:

Philadelphia 24 Carolina 17
Indianapolis 31 New England 21

Unfortunately for me, I have to go out of town this weekend (flight is at 4 on Sunday) and so I'll miss both games :'(  I'm headed to Houston though, so I'll get to experience part of the hype!

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #323 on: January 16, 2004, 05:28 PM »
At 5:00 pm, NBC News 6 here in Charlotte reported that Stephen Davis DID practice today, and will now be a game time decision.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2004, 10:43 PM »
Congratulations Patriots and Carolina Panthers for making it to Superbowl XXQRZ2LL or somthing of the sort!

Now go Panthers!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2004, 10:52 PM »
I was pissed to see the Pats advance again (sorry Mikey  ;)), but excited to see the no-namers wax the Eagles.

That home field advantage I think is what really made the difference for the Patriots.  Indy just couldn't get the high-powered offense going, and Payton struggled bad, in that weather.  I thought they had a few chances there late in the fourth quarter, but that no-call on the 4th down pass interference against the Pats' McGinnest effectively ended the game for the Colts.  That was a very poor officiating moment at a very crucial point of the game.   ::)

So count me as a HUGE Panthers fan now!  Go Panthers!

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2004, 11:10 PM »
Wonderful words!'Tis good to see America come behind us underdogs!

GO CAROLINA!!!!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 18, 2004, 11:13 PM »
Ugh....... Im going to burn down my house now.

It's not so much that the Colts lost, its that the Pats won. I despise the Pats. I kind of like the Panthers, just for handing the Rams their asses, but would have much rather seen the Eagles in the Superbowl. Colts vs Eagles would have been much better.

Ive lost all faith in sports.

First, the Marlins, and hell whoever the other team was (Yankees?), go to the World Series. Damnit, it should have been the Red Sox and Cubbies.

Superbowl should have been Colts and Eagles. The Panthers are just another Florida Marlins, the Pats are just another Yankees. Good teams, yes, but teams nobody gives a crap about. It's fun to see the underdog get a chance. The Colts have blown big butt pretty much ever since they arrived in Indy, but damnit, I still love em. Just like I love those Cubbies.

This year the Super Bowl will not be very super. More a mixture of trite and mundain.

I'll say this much though, if it was the Rams and the Pats, I'd probably be digging myself into a hole, and not come out until next season. If there is a team I hate almost as much as the Pats, its the Rams.

When the Bears and the Bengals play one another in the Super Bowl, and the Cubbies play anybody in the World Series, then, and only then, will my faith in professional sports be revitalized.

Until then, I guess its time to get ready for a new Firebirds season...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #328 on: January 19, 2004, 12:13 AM »
I still don't get where you people are pulling this Florida Marlins reference from?

I mentioned before, they aren't a bunch of no names.
Even if they are, doesn't that make it a little more interesting than all the traditional roster stacked teams in the league?

Apparently, a bunch of no names broke the Rams home winning streak, kicked Philadelhia's overrated ass 14-3, and just became the first #3 seed in NFL history to go to the Super Bowl.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 19, 2004, 08:57 AM »
I thought they had a few chances there late in the fourth quarter, but that no-call on the 4th down pass interference against the Pats' McGinnest effectively ended the game for the Colts.  That was a very poor officiating moment at a very crucial point of the game.   ::)

Roman Phifer, not McGinnest.  Wasn't even close to pass interference, just playing by the rules and bumping the receiver within the alloted five yard window.  The play was a timed route and bumping the receiver disrupted that timing. Even if they did get the call, the Ponies still would have lost. I thought the officiating was pretty good.  The only thing they messed up was the non delay of game against the Colts where they got three more seconds to run a play. Again, that didn't matter because Manning threw an interception a few plays later anyway.  I can guarantee the Colts haven't taken a beating like that all year and now know why the Pats are the #1 team in football.  

Congrats to the Panthers.  They played a hell of a game.  The no respect thing can go a long way, a la the Pats two years ago.  I don't think they'll win the SB, but the game won't be a blow out and I wouldn't be suprised if the Cats covered the spread (which is currently at 7, I believe).

Oh and Eagles receivers, don't change routes just because you feel like it.  Piss poor route running directly lead to two interceptions when you were driving down the field for a score.  No ifs, ands or buts, but take away those two turn overs and the outcome could have been different.  My advice for the draft - take some one whose not afraid to get hit and can actually hold on to the ball.

Go Patriots!!
Common sense isn't so common