Author Topic: NFL 2003/04  (Read 60675 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl XXXVIII New England vs Carolina
« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2004, 01:02 PM »
21-15 Pats, just because I have 1 and 5 in my office squares pool and want to win some money along with a Patriots win.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Panthers 20
Patriots 17
in a Kasay-vinaterii kick-off!
 ;)
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2004, 05:07 PM »
So, were discussing Super Bowl plans now are we?

Ok, well, Clone Sargent is coming over, probobly with the ball and chain, and Will and his ball and chain might come over to watch the game.

Ive got about 500000000000 new Ramen noodle recipies to try, so god help them all.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2004, 05:14 PM »
As for plans...not sure, my son goes to bed at 8, game doesn't start here until 5:35 which means a 9:30ish end time.  My brother invited me over, but I might just be staying home and making a big pot of Chili!

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 29, 2004, 12:10 PM »
Hmmm Patriots 20 Panthers 17, snoozer of a game I think, who the hell (besides some you it seems roots for the Panthers?  Go Broncos 2004!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #350 on: January 29, 2004, 06:42 PM »
You can sense a general lack of enthusiasm and interest among the media with this year's Super Bowl.  Usually in previous years, when you've got some bigger name teams, with some of the more popular (and loud) superstars on them, there's a helluva lot more coverage on the game.  Seems the entire 2 weeks is just nothing but Super Bowl overload, so that by the time you hit game day you're practically burnt out on it already.

That doesn't seem to be the case much at all this year.  I'm sure the media up in New England, and down in the Carolinas and Houston are still talking about it quite a lot, but outside of those markets, there doesn't seem to be near the attention as usual.  I bet the NFL and television executives were cringing throughout the last couple weeks of the playoffs, as the "bigger-draw" teams got their asses handed to them.

No offense to the teams and fans being represented of course, as the Pats n' Cats fully deserve their place in the limelight on Sunday.  Just not nearly as much national interest in this matchup like usual.  The game is this Sunday, right?   :-\

As for our plans, we're going to head over to our friend's house, who's throwing a party.  It'll be chips, dip, beer, yelling, commercials, etc, as usual though.  Not really too concerned with the teams or outcome, but it's still a great reason to party hard with your pals!   8)  And even though I despise the Pats, and will be rooting for the Panthers, logic says that New England kicks their ass pretty good!
« Last Edit: February 1, 2004, 06:24 PM by JediMAC »

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2004, 06:58 PM »
I refuse to watch a moment of it...

Unless I hear that Carolina has managed to maintain complete control of the ball throughout the game. Scoring a touchdown on the opening kickoff, and onside kicking every score afterwards, for another touchdown. :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 30, 2004, 07:24 AM »
This isn't a knock on anyone in particular, but why the hatred for the Pats?  It seems all I see on the many forums I browse is a general dislike for them.  Its not like they win every year like the Yankees.  Hell, they were one of the laughing stocks of the league for years.  They don't have a "superstar" whos runs his mouth that causes people to hate him, thus hating the team he plays for.  Their not flashy, they just get the job done.  And its not like they blow out their opponents every week.

The favorites I can understand, people always root for the underdog.  But it seems like people were this way before the playoffs even began.  

Past and present rivals fans I can also understand, but alot of the haters are fans of teams not even remotely associated with the Pats.

Again, not a knock to anyone in particular, just asking.

And Matt, no need to answer, you're a Raiders and Rams fan, so I know why you're bitter :-*
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #353 on: January 30, 2004, 09:33 AM »
I'm guessing because they one it once already, that's all I can think of, and like the Panthers they aren't a sexy team like the Chiefs or Colts were...people in general like Offense and Superstars both of which this team lack (to the general non-Fantasy Football fan :P)  Again, how many nationally televised games were the Pats and Cats on this year, the Pats like 4 maybe?  I think Carolina was on a Sunday Night Game if that...

Personally, I think this is the second worst Super Bowl in the last 15 years (Ravens-Giants was the worst for me), doesn't mean I won't watch and I won't cheer for the Patriots...

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #354 on: January 30, 2004, 12:46 PM »
Again, how many nationally televised games were the Pats and Cats on this year, the Pats like 4 maybe?  I think Carolina was on a Sunday Night Game if that...

I think I mentioned this before, thats not really fair, because of FOX being home to the NFL, they have to deal with regional coverage issues. Like I said, the Panthers games were usually on here in the South almost every game they played, no matter what.

Am I just one of the few people who would rather see a Cinderella team in the Super Bowl, then some roster stackers?

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 30, 2004, 01:17 PM »
I think that is fair, for me in South Dakota I only get nationally televised games, they will put on the Chiefs, broncos and Viqueens as much as possible but I never even saw Carolina play until the Playoffs, I know Peppers and the old Reskins running back and that's it.  I hate the Patriots, because any AFC team except Denver is my hate team
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 31, 2004, 03:20 AM »
Our local media has been referring to this game as the Super Bore.  I don't mind either of the teams, or have anything against them, but like what's already been mentioned elsewhere they're just not real exciting or "glamorous".   :-\

There's no big names or stories to get behind for any of these guys really.  I think Tom Brady's pretty cool, and underrated, but at the same time he's a little like Tim Duncan in the NBA.  Just too soft spoken and reserved.

Well, I'll be looking forward to the commercials at least!  I'll be rooting for Carolina too, just because they're the underdogs and New England's already won one.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 31, 2004, 09:02 AM »
but why the hatred for the Pats?  

Their not flashy, they just get the job done.  

I think that answers it for most people.

I think it also might be that the Pats fans are more vocal and have been about the team and you how people in forums like to be contrary.

I do have a question though for Mikey D.  I have been so busy this week the only thing I have seen about the whole Bowl is some BS coverage of the teams eating or parties or something...so here is my question:

Is Bruschi gonna play? I haven't heard a word about THE GAME and it isn't on the front page of ESPN or anything.

Also, is Kliff Kingsbury healed up too?  I mean just in case something happens to Brady?  I'd like the Pats to win if it meant he got a ring.

As of right now, I am still going to root for the Panthers though.  Being a Dallas fan, I have to root for the NFC.  Unless Denver or the Texans were in it, they are my AFC teams.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 31, 2004, 04:21 PM »
Hey panther fan here again, I'm getting more psyched as the day goes on. Got a party to go to tomorrow so I'll be with some fans to watch the game.
I'm not arrogant enough to claim outright that the Panthers will win, cause relaly, no one knows until it's over. But I'm rooting big time for the Panthers.
And I have a friendly request to the mods, I have worked my photoshop magic on a cool pic for the Panthers. So IF they win, would you guys humor me and what other Panthers' fans are here by posting my custom pic? I can email it IF you want.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 31, 2004, 05:45 PM »
Cat Scratch Fever,baby!!! Go Panthers!!!

Funny fact:my current S.Studies teacher(whom I dispise)was Stephen Davis's teacher!Now hows that for close to home? :D

[size=12]GO PANTHERS! THE SPIRIT OF THE CAROLINAS IS WITH YOU!WOOOOOOOOOO![/size]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 05:46 PM by EN.IGIGI Vator »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -