Author Topic: 2003 Super Bowl!  (Read 5829 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
2003 Super Bowl!
« on: January 24, 2003, 12:05 PM »
Who's gonna win?

I have said all along that Tampa was going to win...and now I'm torn

#1 Do I want JediMAC to get even more bragging rights (although the Raiders and Rams did abandon LA so that at least gives me some satisfaction)
#2 I hate Tampa, any old NFC Central foe I hate and that goes double for the Cheeseheads
#3 I actually like most of the guys on Oakland (except Romanowski he's a punk), Gannon, Rice (one of my all time favorites), Brown, Garner, Woodson and Woodson, Janikowski

I think Tampa's D is so good and the old addage, Defense wins Championships will hold true here, the final

Tampa Bay 24 Oakland 21
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 08:00 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re:Super Bowl!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 12:12 PM »
As much as I want the Raiders to win there is something about Tampa thats been a torn in my side and I think they have one more in them. So I think Tampa over the Raiders but I will be hoping that Tampa looses and looses badly.

Tampa 27

Raiders 21

Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Raiders, Super Bowl Champions!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 12:27 PM »
Lakers (x3)...Angels...RAIDERS!!!

Oh yeah, you know it's coming!  The Black Hole is coming to swallow you whole!  Raiders all the way, maybe about 56-0.   ;D

I've been bragging for the past year about a couple of my teams, so what's one more, 'eh Scott?   ;)  If you promise to root for my boys, I promise to go easy on the bragging when we win.  Deal?  I thought so.   :)

It should be an interesting game, as far as the #1 offense vs. the #1 defense.  The old addage of "defense wins Championships", is usually true, but I believe we'll be seeing an exception this year...we better, or we'll have one unhappy JediMAC on our hands, and you guys don't want that, do you?  (don't answer that)

Besides, there's something to be said for playoff/Superbowl experience and veteran leadership as well, and the Raiders win that battle in a landslide!  Again, Raiders 56 Bucs 0.

OK, for real: Raiders 34 Bucs 24!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 12:38 PM »
The Superbowl. Similar to our Grey Cup up here in Canada.
Though I don't watch American football, it look's like it's going to be a gooder.
I'll just watch it for the half time show.

At least Shania Twain won't be wearing a snow suit.  ;)  ;D

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 01:47 PM »
wel, it is coming to TV for the first time here :) so I have no clue :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Snoozer Bowl!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 01:53 AM »
AHHH!  My eyes, my eyes!!!  Make it go away!

Ugh... That was almost too painful to watch.  My Raiders got completely b**** slapped!  Totally obliterated.  I guess I'll just have to stick with my NBA and MLB bragging rights for now.  Lucky for you guys...   ;)

Deep depression begins to set in...  Probably even worse for my co-worker and her husband who are members of the Raiders booster club and who dropped $6,000 for two tickets to the game.  OUCH!

The Raiders completely fell apart.  Offense.  Defense.  All of it.  Total CRAP.  Gannon sucked.

But of course, a lot of that definitely has to do with how well the Buc's played.  They, and GRUDEN, deserve all the credit in the world.  They kicked our butts all over the field.

My only consolation is that I'm totally stoked to see Gruden win it all.  I love that guy (and miss him), and I can only imagine how bad it pissed of that loser owner of ours, Al Davis, to see his former coach kick his current team's butt!  At least Shania was an absolute joy to watch as always, even if she was wearing too much clothes...

Congrats Buc's, but I'm going to go sulk for a while now.  :(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2003, 09:24 AM »
I had the 21 points right ;) just multiply Tampa's score x2 ;)

WHat amazes me is that Tampa hasn't won this before...their offense was better with Dunn and Alstott with Jaquez Green at WR than it is now...their D has been awesome for years now.  WHich begs the question how much longer until the salary cap takes its toll on the Champs ala the Ravens from a few years back?  I've heard the Raiders are like $60 million over for next year so their chances of coming back in the next decade are slim and none...

The saddest thing is now another team has won a championship before my beloved Purple...which leaves 15 teams:

Minnesota
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Tennessee
San Diego
Philadelphia
Atlanta

Haven't even been to a Super Bowl
Cleveland
Houston
Jacksonville
Detroit
Carolina
New Orleans
Arizona
Seattle

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Lions coach hirings ??
« Reply #7 on: March 7, 2003, 02:48 PM »
Did you guys read this story

NFL Diversity Committee hears Lions' case
   NFL.com wire reports      

PALM BEACH, Fla. (March 4, 2003) -- The Detroit Lions told the NFL's committee on diversity that they tried to interview minority candidates before hiring new coach Steve Mariucci.

Lions owner William Ford Jr. and president Matt Millen met for 90 minutes Tuesday with the committee. Chairman Dan Rooney, who criticized the team after the hiring, declined to elaborate.

"We had a good exchange," said Rooney, the Pittsburgh Steelers ' owner. "I'm going to talk to our committee and see where we are, and we'll make a determination where it's going sometime shortly."

Mariucci was the only person interviewed for the job after Marty Mornhinweg was fired Jan. 27. The Lions maintain the minority candidates turned down interviews because it appeared inevitable that Mariucci, the former San Francisco coach, would be hired.

Rooney said the league has not decided on penalties the Lions would face if the committee determined that the team violated its policy. The guidelines call for teams to interview at least one minority candidate for coaching vacancies.

"We think the process worked in a majority of the cases. We took some steps forward but by no means are we finished and by no means do we think the process will not continue to be tweaked," Rooney said.

He said the committee still plans to expand its initiative to include the hiring process of front-office executives.

OK now answer me this. What good does this do anyone? Steve is more than qualified to be the head coach and I see no reason to waste other peoples time if the guy you want agrees to a deal.  If I was in a position to hire someone. I would bring in my first choice first and then worry about others if he /she passes on a deal.
 Is Jerry Jones looking at a fine for hiring Parcells? I beleive in equality but this doesn't acheive it.

Now sports is a big business so wouldn't you think that a team would want the best personal in place to acheive their goals to win?  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re:Lions coach hirings ??
« Reply #8 on: March 7, 2003, 02:58 PM »
How could you say Steve Mariucci is the most qualified coach out there when this man is still on the Coaching Free Agent List?  ;D

I agree though...Steve Marriucci probably is the best coaching canidate out there and I'd hire him right away as well.  I seem to recall that Jones did interview more people than just Parcells.

People will say Denny was run out of town here and there were some racial things implied by some of the local black community...but Tony Dungy is almost diefied here too and was on many people's wish lists last year before they hired Tice.  There are many deserving black assistants that deserve a shot including Art Shell.  It will be interesting to see who the media starts lobbying for next after Lewis got the job in Cincy (perhaps GB can hire back Ray Rhodes)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re:Lions coach hirings ??
« Reply #9 on: March 7, 2003, 03:03 PM »
1 round with Rhodes was plenty thanks. I think Sherman easliy justifies firing Rhodes ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Lions coach hirings ??
« Reply #10 on: March 8, 2003, 03:47 AM »
Though the intent of the League's rule is good, I agree that this is just going way overboard.  If Mariuci or Parcells are available, you snag them.  No need talking to other applicants if one of these guys is at THE top of your list.

But I'm sure that there's definitely teams out there that could stand to benefit from hiring Denny Green or Art Shell, so if they look elsewhere for a less qualified coach simply due to the color of their skin, well, that franchise will get what it has coming - a losing season.

Maybe I'm just sheltered or naive, but I just find it surprising that in this day and age race would be more of a factor than potentially winning games.  Doesn't make sense.  Just interview the top guys out there, and pick the best man for the job.  Period.