Author Topic: Will the Red Sox ever win the Series?  (Read 5315 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Will the Red Sox ever win the Series?
« on: July 24, 2003, 07:49 AM »
Alright , I have lived in Mass my entire life.  I was old enough to experience both the 75 and 86 seasons. In 75 I was young enough to deal with the loss.  In 86 I nearly cried.  So whats the problem.  We have always been competitive, although pitching over the years has really killed us and we cant depend on Pedro to do it all.  So what are everyones thoughts?  Will another century come and go. Will the Bambino curse be lifted?  I dont know about anyone else, but the team they have this year seems so special.  They went out and signed a bunch of low key players that when together create just the right amount of magic.  Im talking about Mueller, Ortiz, Walker and Millar.  All of these guys have really impressed me and playing in Boston has really stepped up all of their games.  I say it every year because I am a die hard and a total optimist , but New York look out.  I think if they can add one more solid pitcher to the rotation they will be tough. ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 07:50 AM by rebeltrader »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Red Sox ever win the Series?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 09:35 AM »
God I hope so.  While I have only lived in Boston for about 10 years, I've liked them since the '86 WS (I'm a huge anti-New York sports team fanatic)

Could this be the year?  I have to say its the best team they've had since I've been here, including 1999 when they made to the ALCS against the hated Yankees.  Its a good possibility they can win it this year.  Their offense is without a doubt the most productive in the majors and their bullpen is finally came together.  One more decent starting pitcher could be the key. Pedro and Lowe are always reliable, as is Wakefield.  Mendoza and Burkett scare me, even though both have been excellent lately.  But what's it going to cost to get that other player?  We really don't have any trade bait left.  Nixon is always on the block, but this season and especially after last night's game, I say keep him.  Nobody can do what he can do.  He's a huge part of this team.  I think the only option they have to get a good starting pitcher (Colon, Ponson, etc.) is to trade minor league talent (Sanchez, etc.)

This weekend's games against the Yankees are going to be huge.  
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 10:07 AM »
I was born and raised in MA, and I've been living in NYC for the past 6 years. I have to deal with crap all the time about liking the Red Sox. It is almost like a thankless job. I really hope they pull through....seriously...
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 11:59 AM »
Mikey D, you mentioned Colon.  Be grateful we never went after him earlier this year.  Hes not having a great season.  Also, i'm not sure there are any starters that anyone is willing to give up this late in the season.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and will stay on the bandwagon til the final out.  I'm too much of a diehard to give up.  Especially this year.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 02:00 PM »

Sorry Jim, Mike and Ed, but in a word...  NO.

Why?  Just 'cause they're the Red Sox.  That's why.  Isn't that reason enough?   :-*   ;D

Not to mention they're playing in the same division with the free spending Steinbrenner, which will always keep them in second place, at best...   :-\

Shoulda' kept the Babe...   ;)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 02:12 PM »

Sorry Jim, Mike and Ed, but in a word...  NO.

Why?  Just 'cause they're the Red Sox.  That's why.  Isn't that reason enough?   :-*   ;D

Not to mention they're playing in the same division with the free spending Steinbrenner, which will always keep them in second place, at best...   :-\

Shoulda' kept the Babe...   ;)

Matt, I am feeling pretty confident that they will at  least take the Yanks in the finals.  Granted they make it that  far.  Mendoza is the one who is scaring me again.  He sucked as a reliever, so they put him in the starting rotation.  He looked good for a few games, but it looks like his game is falling apart again.  I still think he is on the Yankess payroll.   I think this weekend will answer some of my questions.  Go Sox!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 12:13 AM »
They will....but not this year.  They're still too thin in the starting pitching department.  And pitching is what wins championships.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 07:28 AM »
Well they did take take two out of three against the Yanks this weekend with some great come from behind victories.  That's a start.  They just can't have their usual late August / early September break downs.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 09:26 AM »
Whoah baby.  This season is starting to shape up well.  I'm still a little hesistant to proclaim that the curse is going to end this year, but damn, you just have to think, don't ya?

The offense is on fire.  Bill Mueller, the number 8 hitter, had 3 home runs last night, two of them grand slams.  That's 9 RBIs from a supposed "scrub".  He's having a career year and plays a solid third base.

Baby Theo Epstein shows he knows what he's doing, trading for desperately needed players and still keeping the core team intact.  Last night they trade for Scott Willamson from the Reds.  A solid right handed closer who will add a lot to the bullpen.  Add him to BY Kim, Todd Jones and Scott Sauerback, the other recent pickups, and you have a bullpen any club would be lucky to have.  With decent set up Alan Embree and Mike Timlin, our bullpen woes have been solved.

Now my question is, do you make Willamson the closer and move Kim back to the starting rotation?  Either way, it works and Grady Little now has a ton of options.

There's still one day left until the trading deadline and I'm hearing Theo ain't done yet.  The latest rumor I'm hearing is Casey Fossum and another minor leaguer for Toronto's Kelvim Escobar.  That would definitely strengthen the starting rotation, the one lone spot that still scares me a little.  (see earlier post about Burkett and Mendoza).

Old Georgie boy down in New York has to be sweating. He hasn't made that blockbuster trade he usually does (yet), he's probably still bitching and moaning about this past weekend and his team not having the chemistry it has had the past few years, he has every right to be worried.  

If anything, it will definitely be an interesting run to the rest of the season.  Here's hoping.

[size=8]Go Red Sox!!!! [/size]

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 10:53 AM »
I want to see how well the Red Sox can handle the A's and Seattle's pitching in August.  That's gonna be the test to see if they can hang with the big boys in October.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 12:36 PM »
I want to see how well the Red Sox can handle the A's and Seattle's pitching in August.  That's gonna be the test to see if they can hang with the big boys in October.

Agreed, its going to make or break their season.  They have a stretch where they play the A's and M's 14 times in 15 days and then follow that up with the Jays and Yanks.  

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Any Sox Fans want Tickets Tonight! Tickets Gone!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 08:16 AM »
I have two extra tickets for tonignt.  I had 8 and am down to 2 more since a couple backed out.  Schilling is on the mound so it shoud be a good game.  No guarantees how long these will last so contact me immediately if interested.  Seats are on the 3rd bse side grandstand. 

Tickets Gone!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 09:09 AM by rebeltrader »

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: Any Sox Fans want Tickets Tonight! Tickets Gone!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 11:00 PM »
Any Sox Fans want Tickets Tonight! Tickets Gone!

What are you, some kind of tease?   :P

Enjoy the game!

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 11:05 PM »
Wow, looks like things got pretty exciting there in the 9th!  Hope you stayed til the bitter end!  Should've left Schilling in to complete the shutout.   ::)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 01:16 PM »
Wow, looks like things got pretty exciting there in the 9th!  Hope you stayed til the bitter end!  Should've left Schilling in to complete the shutout.   ::)

Yup, was there til the end.  Unbelievable finish in a typical Red Sox fashion we have all become acustomed to.  Final thoughts were that the Ump blew alot of calls and Francona is a ***** for not challenging them in the 9th.  He needs to remove the skirt and start sticking up for his players.