Author Topic: Episode III a tearjerker: Lucas  (Read 2728 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Episode III a tearjerker: Lucas
« on: March 18, 2005, 07:52 PM »
WTF?

Check out this article on CNN.com where Lucas describes ROTS as a "tearjerker".  ****, if he tries to make me feel all teary-eyed the way he tried to make us feel all sappy during the scenes between Anakin & Padme in AOTC, I'm gonna puke.

I've stayed fairly spoiler free up to this point, but after reading this, I'm suddenly very nervous about whether Lucas is going to pull this off.

And he also mentions that we only see Vader at the very end of the movie.   ::)  I just don't know...

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: Episode III a tearjerker: Lucas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 08:10 PM »
I read that last nite.  I guess he's referring to all the death in the movie, including Padme and Anakin (in a matter of speaking.)  Also the fact it's the last SW movie.  Maybe I'm looking too deep into the comment though. 

And since the spoilers started rolling in I've read that Vader (in the suit) is only in the last 5-10 mins of the film. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 08:51 PM »
I read that last nite.  I guess he's referring to all the death in the movie, including Padme and Anakin (in a matter of speaking.)  Also the fact it's the last SW movie.  Maybe I'm looking too deep into the comment though. 

If that's what Lucas means, then I can certainly live with that.  But I'm hoping to see Anakin's transition to Vader as dark and violent, not whiny and pathetic (ie. attempt at tearjerker).

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:23 PM »
I think there's been quite a bit of misinterpretation by the reporter regarding what Lucas meant by his statement. The writer didn't seem too up on the plot of ROTS beyond the marketing-fed "he becomes Darth Vader" angle, and has probably gone too far into his own assumption that this meant a love story angle.

I'm sure Lucas is talking about the tragedy aspect simply being much more emotional that SW has ever been, and that Anakin basically ruins the lives of everyone around him.

Even if you haven't gone too deep into the spoilers, just reading the CD track title "The Immolation" should give you the idea that the final transformation won't be anything other than pretty damn dark.  :) Can't wait for it!

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 09:44 AM »
I never thought for a moment they meant sappy when refering to it  as a "tearjerker". How can one NOT feel great sadness at the idea of the deaths of nearly every last Jedi, you know, the protectors of all that is good and just in the galaxy? Hell, even the greatest Force user of all, Yoda, is powerless to stop it. It SHOULD make you feel sad that the powers of Evil manage to stomp the powers of Good so completely and thuroughly into oblivion.

:::Gettin' on the soapbox:::
Again, in this age of "glorifiing the villian" we all live in, I expect this film to excell like no Star Wars film before it, even more than "Empire". Only time can prove me wrong. My theory is partially proven already by the sheer amount of posters who seem to foam at the mouth at the very idea of the Birth of Vader, which we all know can not happen without the death of all the Jedi, as well as the fact that more and more of you can't seem to get enough of someone like Palpatine, a crusty old man who's only talents are manipulating others, lying and killing. You get the point. 
:::Gettin' off the soapbox:::

I for one am a HUGE fan of Jedi and their very concept. I know this thirty seven year old man will be crying like a little baby when they all get stabbed (or shot) in the back.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 09:49 AM by TBK »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 03:29 PM »
I agree with Tydirium.  I don't think the writer is up on everything and assumed Lucas meant a love story.  Although Padme does bite it at the end so maybe he/she assumed that angle was the tearjerker.  I think Lucas should have just kept quiet about the Titanic comparisons. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Cool, thanks guys.  You're rational explanations have this guy a little more relaxed about ROTS.

SilverZ

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 05:53 PM »
There's a marketing person at Lucasfilm pulling thier hair out this weekend after that Lucas comment. It's been everywhere since he said it, even Saturday Night Live.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 08:44 AM »
There's a marketing person at Lucasfilm pulling thier hair out this weekend after that Lucas comment. It's been everywhere since he said it, even Saturday Night Live.

Yeah, that was a terrible thing for Lucas to say IMO.  Just let the film do the talking.  Maybe he is trying to get the female audience to see it?

Offline MommySkywalker

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 04:46 PM »
I for one am a HUGE fan of Jedi and their very concept. I know this thirty seven year old man will be crying like a little baby when they all get stabbed (or shot) in the back.

I'm certain that I'll be sobbing -- not only for the deaths of the Jedi, but also for the "death" of Anakin Skywalker.  It's bound to be heartwrenching to see him finally succomb to the Dark Side, though we already know it's inevitable.   :'(
Lisa, aka Mommy Skywalker
Remember: concentrate on the moment.
Feel, don't think; use your instincts.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 06:02 PM »
If this movie is anything like Last Samurai (saw it last night) then I'm going to love it. I see some parallels between the 2 stories, so hopefully ROTS will compare.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 11:54 PM »
I think it will definitely be an emotional movie... I doubt I will cry, but I do think I will feel a little sad in certain scenes.  Then, after it's over, I'll be ready to see it again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

:P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 08:28 AM »
At least 2 viewings the first weekend :)