Author Topic: JD.com Review: Bespin Leia  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
JD.com Review: Bespin Leia
« on: March 19, 2005, 04:15 AM »
Thanks to some serious ass-busting, my reviews are going up at lightning quick speed, so here we go with another one that's been lying around in the archives, Bespin Leia.

Not the best figure in the world, and one I think Hasbro could've tried to wow us a little more on, but it also serves a certain purpose to put this figure out and be done with her...  My review's a little critical but that's because I felt so GROSSLY underwhelmed by her.  A truly bland chunk of plastic that, if they aren't gonna try at making her interesting, then I hope they never retread this territory again then.

Click HERE to read the review, and of course everyone's welcome to chime in here if they'd like or do up your own review (not necessarilly in this thread either, do whatever) and opinions...

Myself, I've spent $5 better in my life, but thems the breaks.  Like I said, she serves a purpose and replaces a rather unattractive Leia that was in her place.

ATTENTION

Just so you guys know, in my review I listed her as having THREE points of articulation when in reality she has 5.  I completely overlooked the rather useless cuts she has in the middle of her arms. 

A half-assed wrist articulation?  I don't know what their deal is, but I did short-change her on that, so just for the record I'm aware of that.  She still has pathetically limited articulation...  5 points was standard 10 years ago.  Too bad Hasbro decided to jump back into the 90's.  Wonder if they can pick me up some flannel and change my grades from my Junionr year in high school while they're there?  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: JD.com Review: Bespin Leia
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 10:47 AM »
Another thorough review Jesse.  I've admired this figure for it's nice sculpt, and thought they'd done a fairly decent job sculpting her face specifically.

However, since I'm a carded guy, I wasn't really aware of it's real limitations that you pointed out - it's lack of articulation.  It's really surprising that in these days where Hasbro has shown vast improvement in their efforts over the years that they took a step back here.  Certainly leg articulation is a requirement at the very least.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 10:54 AM »
You know, the only reason I bought this hunk of hud was because I have a daughter who loves Leia and there aren't enough women figures in the trilogy for her.

That said, I was happy about the scale correction compared to the Leia Collection figure from a few years ago, but c'mon! A little articulation please?

Here are some comparison shots.

"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 12:59 AM »

"Ten paces and turn...right?"

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 02:58 AM »
I agree Dean...  She's substantially superior in scale.  Probably something I should've mentioned too but this was one I kinda rushed on when I was going over her.

I actually liked the cloth inner-robe at least...  I think the OTC figure could've stood having the cloth skirt, and a pliable rubber outer robe that pops off perhaps.  It would've allowed for at least the standard hip articulation, waist articulation, and that would've been at least a match to the previous figure in quality.

The better sculpt than the PLC Leia is a step forward but it's met by a step back with the total lack of poseability.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77