Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 581265 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #4185 on: July 4, 2021, 05:50 AM »
You have to wonder what is really in it for the buyer. I imagine just a means to get the list of forum member email addresses for marketing purposes and to throw more ads on the front page. RS hasn’t been a news worthy site since Curto left almost a decade ago. The change in RS now or tomorrow is insignificant nowadays.

The value of user data is something that tends to go by most people without much regard, but there can be significant value there in large communities.  In the case of RS, I don't know if that's even worth it because I get the sense that their user data might largely be dated.  But I would not put it past the new owners to sell the user data to whomever.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #4186 on: July 4, 2021, 10:43 PM »
You have to wonder what is really in it for the buyer. I imagine just a means to get the list of forum member email addresses for marketing purposes and to throw more ads on the front page. RS hasn’t been a news worthy site since Curto left almost a decade ago. The change in RS now or tomorrow is insignificant nowadays.

The value of user data is something that tends to go by most people without much regard, but there can be significant value there in large communities.  In the case of RS, I don't know if that's even worth it because I get the sense that their user data might largely be dated.  But I would not put it past the new owners to sell the user data to whomever.

Exactly my thinking. While there is value is that amount of data it has to definitely be dated. Hell my member ID is linked to a Yahoo email account I killed a decade ago. How many others are in similar situations. Oh well it’s their money right?
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot