Author Topic: Do You Have Pets?  (Read 46168 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi Master
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Do You Have Pets?
« Reply #360 on: June 21, 2017, 03:04 PM »
Awesome Rob!
Peacekeeper, when it absolutely, positively has to be nuked in 30 minutes or less.  Or the next nuke's free!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #361 on: June 21, 2017, 05:46 PM »

Pepper. She's a German Shepherd rescue, appx. four years old. Could probably make it as a therapy dog if I had the resources. She's a huge hit when we have Bible study at my place.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #362 on: September 21, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Well for the second time in 3 years I just had a dog that needed its small intestine re-sectioned. 

Poe stopped eating on Saturday and then ate some on Sunday, then wouldn't eat again on Monday.  Instead of dental floss, this time it was some sort of weird abnormality on her intestine where there was a pocket where food was collecting and getting stuck.  They couldn't figure it out on the x-rays or ultrasound, so they did an exploratory surgery to find the problem.  They don't know if it was from an abscess or if it's a birth defect or what.  They're doing a biopsy which will come back in 7 to 10 days, but no one expects cancer given her age.

$4,200 later she's home and I'm doing dog rehab again, trying to keep her calm so she doesn't bust her stitches and so the re-sectioning doesn't leak.

The part that's killing me is that I didn't get pet insurance.  After the last time I thought long and hard about it, and asked a lot of people their opinions, and decided that since it wasn't likely to happen again, and since she was so young, I'd set aside $40 a month for her and then if we never had an issue I'd have a nice pile of cash sitting there when she was gone someday.  There's like $360 in it so far.  :-\

My advice is now officially that everyone should get the insurance.  It'll be interesting to see if that's an option for me after all this... I'm assuming it'll either be really expensive or at a minimum they won't cover her GI Tract. 

Ugh.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:01 AM by Rob »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi Master
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #363 on: September 21, 2017, 11:25 AM »
So sorry to hear about Poe.  Hope the little guy gets better soon.
Peacekeeper, when it absolutely, positively has to be nuked in 30 minutes or less.  Or the next nuke's free!

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 22, 2017, 06:30 AM »
Damn Rob, sorry to hear about that.

I've thought the same thing about the insurance and when our cat and dog cross the rainbow bridge (15 years and 11 years respectively), we'll pick up some new ones and will most likely get insurance for them too.  Between the two animals we have now, I've done 3 UTIs ($5500) and two ACL surgerys ($5000).  Yeah, good investment.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.