Author Topic: Do You Have Pets?  (Read 101887 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Have Pets?
« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2016, 01:05 PM »
So sorry. 

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 15, 2016, 02:50 PM »
It'd be lot easier if dogs weren't so damn cute and endearing. 

Sorry to hear about your loss Rob.

My dog is turning 10 in April and has started that downhill slide that may take months or years to play out and has me thinking about her eventual departure from my family.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 16, 2016, 06:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss Rob.  Anyone who has a pet knows that feeling.  Not quite the same as losing a family member, but about as close as you can get.  Hang in there.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 16, 2016, 10:06 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Dante, Rob.  Things like this are never easy.  Try to focus on the good times, and know that when he was really hurting you were able to relieve that suffering with compassion and mercy.

We were just faced with a serious illness with one of our cats, George.  He developed a UT blockage and nearly died.  And it's agonizing when you're faced with these situations because you're thrust into the uncomfortable position of playing God with your pet.  After a serious surgery and a very significant vet bill, our George has come home.  But it also makes you think very seriously about getting pet insurance for when these things occur.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 17, 2016, 12:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Pet insurance is a definite for any pets we have in the future.  We've spent a fortune on our senior dogs this past year... I'd have to total it all up but it's probably a hair into five figures.  But I had it in my head that I could keep them around a few more years and it was worth it.  Between the surgery I detailed last year on the last page, two corneal debridements, the neck issues with Dante (that may have been brain tumor all along), the diarrhea with Emme... it's been constant.  Pills, extra walks, baby gates to prevent further injury, acupuncture, herbs, surgeries... I did everything I could imagine and after it was all said and done this happened, and the other one might be on her last legs.  I've already gotten a few recommendations for next go around, one of which was Trupanion... I'm told for $45 a month you get 90% coverage and it doesn't expire when they get old as long as you keep up on the payments.  If I'd had that, I'd have probably broken even in the long run, but the cost would have been spread out slowly over 12-13 years.  And, if it had been covered, I'd have just gotten the MRI to be sure before putting him down. 

Next time...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2016, 12:27 AM »
I'd be wary of Pet insurance Rob...we have looked into it for our dogs from time to time and the coverage isn't very good at all.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2016, 04:26 PM »
I'd be wary of Pet insurance Rob...we have looked into it for our dogs from time to time and the coverage isn't very good at all.

I've heard that as well.  You might be better off just socking away what you would have paid in a savings account with the mindset that you can only use that money for pet care later on.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 19, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Interesting, I've talked to 4 or 5 pet owners this week and all of them swear by theirs.  Thanks for the opinions though.  This isn't a problem for any time soon, I'll certainly dig deeper into it when that time comes - probably a few years from now.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 13, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Well for the second time in 3 months I have some bad news...  Over the last 5 or so months or post-op Boston, Emerson, had been slowly deteriorating.  Her diarrhea was back with a vengeance, she was underweight no matter what I fed her, losing hair, tripping and falling, she wasn't able to get back up after lying down, cognitively she didn't seem all there... I think it was liver disease ultimately causing the symptoms this time around based on what I've been reading but we were treating her for diarrhea thinking if we could fix that we could at least fix a few of her issues.

Not to be all doom and gloom, but I also want to use this opportunity to encourage everyone to think twice about major surgery for older dogs.  At the time she was healthy and 12 and a half year old and I had less than an hour to make the decision, so I went for it.  But, since then it's been almost nothing but trouble, stress, time, and money trying to get her back to some semblance of normal, and no matter how many medicines, herbs, or treatments that I threw at it, it's just been a steady decline for a year. She's had flagyl, diagel, panicure, tylen powder, proviable, extra fiber in her diet, 3 other probiotics EN, ID, weekly B-12 injections, steamed rice, her regular food, the grain free version of it, various herbs from TCVM vets... and that's probably only half of what we tried. The other problem is that whenever you mess with her regimen, you have to wait 3 or 4 weeks to see if it's going to work. We just pumped so much medicine through her and none of it made a difference.

So, all of that and she was never able to gain weight, she had chronic diarrhea for 3 or 4 months after, which returned after about 3 short, good months last fall and has been a non-stop fight since late December. Her spine developed a curvature, presumably from adjusting her posture because of the abdominal surgery, which led to more weight on her front feet, which led to arthritis and stiffness and tripping and falling. She has Short Bowl Syndrome from having a section of her intestine removed which led to poor digestion and then she developed Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. The SIBO caused skin infections which led to bald spots and skin issues and may have contributed to her hearing loss. The malabsorption of nutrients associated with the diarrhea and stomach issues led to her losing strength and slowly getting weaker and less able to walk or get up once she's laid down. She stopped caring about anything other than food. I could go on, but you get the point. Post-surgery we poured so much time, effort, and money into getting her gut working properly and nothing did it. Until much more recently I'd been holding out hope that if I could just get her diarrhea fixed she'd absorb nutrients again and I could give her a normal senior life for a couple of years. I could handle the arthritis and the hearing loss, but when you add it all up it's just too much. So over the last few weeks we've been working through our last options and have finally decided that it was time to let her go.

So it's done.  We drove back up to northern Wisconsin Saturday and buried her with our other one, and for the first time since our second year of college we don't have dogs.  It's a weird and lonely feeling and I'm sure we'll get more eventually, but we're going to wait a little while.  The last year has been the not-fun part of having dogs, so we're going to take a little break.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:53 AM by Rob »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 13, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Sorry for your loss, Rob.  She's beautiful.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 13, 2016, 12:36 PM »
So sorry.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 13, 2016, 03:35 PM »
That sounds like a long, difficult road you've been on Rob.  Very sorry for your loss.  Its always hard losing a part of your family, but take some solace in knowing that her pain has ended, as has as all the stress and time and money you've been funneling into treatment. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #327 on: June 13, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Sorry for your loss, Rob.  Take some time to grieve, and when you're ready, there will be a dog just waiting to give you their love and devotion!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #328 on: June 13, 2016, 08:22 PM »
I'm sorry Rob.  Know how hard it is, every time. :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 14, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Thanks guys.  I know it's life, and it sucks, and everyone with pet goes through it... it's just been tough having never done this and now having done it twice in 3 months.  That said, I know it'll get better over the next few days and weeks and while I think the last year has been stressful enough that we'll take at least a little time before getting a puppy, I'm pretty sure we'll get another one at some point in the next few months.