Author Topic: Happy Holidays, Now pack your bags and get out *Updated*  (Read 3546 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Holidays, Now pack your bags and get out
« Reply #15 on: November 7, 2005, 01:19 AM »
It sounds like this is a mixed blessing for you, Jim.  It's stressful to lose your job before the holidays, but it sounds like you'll actually get to enjoy them this year.  Good luck with the job hunt in the new year.   :)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 08:00 PM »
Well for being out of work for a short time.  One week to be exact (I used my balance of Vacation and Personal days to get out before December 31st). I received a couple different offers this week with a couple more interviews lined up.  I thought I would get no bites this time of year but it seems I will probably have my choice of jobs by the New Year.  The bonus is that the one job is closer to home with a 50% raise to what I am getting now.  The only downfall is the travel.  Up to 8 weeks a year. Some trips lasting 2 weeks :(  Tough with a young family.  But an incredible opportunity.  Plus I still have 8.5 months Severance and a Bonus from my old job to bank.  Thats a sh*tload of army builders 8) Actually my wife and I have some incredible medical bills from the last 1.5 years to payoff so this could be a blessing.  So what is everyone elses thoughts on travel with children at home?  I have never been a big fan, but my job would make me a Senior Project Engineer for North and Central America.  And at only 36 this is a huge job for someone my age. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 08:04 PM by Jim »

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Holidays, Now pack your bags and get out *Updated*
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 08:15 PM »
I think all signs point to an opportunity that should not be passed up!! This is one of those times in life that could never come back!! I mean 8 weeks out of the entire year is nothing!! I think the bonus of having that severence pay completely free to pay off bills, the added money saved by working closer to home, and the more money coming in providing security for your family would outweigh the minimal time spent away!! Don't pass this up!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 08:48 PM »
Jim -- this sounds like it is an incredible opportunity for your family.  While 8 weeks out of the year doesn't sound like a lot -- from someone whose husband travelled when our first born was an infant -- two weeks at a pop can be really hard on your wife (and you too)  If you have family close by it will certainly help her out -- but it makes for very long days when you have to tend to small children by yourself all day and night :P.  My husband gave up substantial bonus pay so that he didn't have to travel when the second baby came along.  He decided on his own -- he was tired of being away -- though it was only on race days -- he felt like he was missing out with the kids.  The upside is the financial security and opportunities that this job offers.  It sounds like its a great chance for you to get ahead.   A lot of it might depend on how well your wife feels like she can handle being a single mom at times and what kind of support system she has.  Its a tough call :-\
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Jim....I'm not gonna give you any advice, this situation merits that only YOU can decide what's best for you and YOU'RE family(as opposed to someone else saying what's best from the outside). I'm sure you'll handle everything just fine, Happy holidays! :D

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 01:36 PM »
So what is everyone elses thoughts on travel with children at home? 

Jim -- I would never presume to tell you what to do.  I was merely giving you my thoughts from personal experience.  I hope you were able to take it in the spirit that it was intended. :)  I imagine that this must be a very difficult decision for you and your family.  God Bless.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 03:18 PM »
First off, congrats on the new gig Jim.  Seems like change has been in the air around here and I am very glad to see it work out.

Second, about the traveling, I think it all depends on your wife.  My last job had me gone 1-2 times per month for up to 3-4 days a week pretty much non stop.  The only time I wasn't traveling much is when we had local projects.  But then it was driving instead of flying.  I know my wife hated it and I started looking about the time our 2nd came along.  Being the economy wasn't too hot and having two babies, I wasn't too keen on doing the job change.  So, I can understand your apprehension, best of luck to you and yours ;)

As far as the job, I agree it sounds great.  Part of the reason I switched my job is that I now have a chance to move fairly soon (3-5 years) in to a much more lucrative and advanced position. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 03:10 PM »
That kind of travel doesn't seem too bad as to what I've had to do with my job in the past.  At least they aren't sending you to Afghanistan or Iraq for a year minimum.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 06:18 PM »
Well an update from what happened.  I have had a formal offer but my wife thinks I should pass and I need to think this one through.  Even with the 50% raise and the future possiblities. The job is structured to be Senior MGR which is a fairly new position from a growing Italian based company.  The plus side is that after 3 plus years I would have 5-6 people doing this job and I would be managing these accounts through my own department.  The bad is that I would have all the high end big accounts which would include all of North America, South America, Puerto Rico, Mexico, parts of the Middle East and China.  The clause in the contract is that it would be a minimum of 8 weeks, not to exceed 16.  Plus there is an outside chance of being away from my family for up to 3 straight weeks at a time.  Aside from being away for that amount of time, I am not too fond of traveling to the Middle East (mainly Saudi Arabia) and some of the more poorer regions of South America.  For one thing I dont want to be part of another countries Civil War. Plus the Middle East just scares the bejesus out of me right now.  Not a very good time to be a Westerner. I just dont feel too welcome in those parts of the World.  I have til the beginning of January to make a decision.  I have two other jobs that I am going to push hard on now for a backup.  One is a small Engineering Firm while the other is another firm doing contract work for NASA which seems pretty interesting and keeps me in the Country. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 06:20 PM by Jim »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2005, 06:22 PM »
I certainly don't envy your position Jim - it's tough when there are so many factors to take into account.  Some big positives and big negatives.

Good luck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2005, 08:15 PM »
I know you think that the locations you're travelling to are pretty risky, but don't let that stop you.  I've experienced a couple of those cultures and they are great.

Good luck with your decision Jim.
This is the way.

I have spoken.