Author Topic: Kids and ROTS (SPOILERS)  (Read 12908 times)

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
Re: Kids and ROTS (SPOILERS)
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2005, 09:59 AM »
What I don't get is why the Dove people said the movie is ok to watch but BK's toys are not ok to sell.

Sounds like total BS!!
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2005, 10:22 AM »
Oh man, I hate these ******* "watchdog" groups. I'd love to get on my soapbox right now, but I don't think this forum is the appropriate place.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Oh my mother-in-law is sure to jump on that bandwagon.  She was all upset when she took my niece and nephew (ages 2.5 and 4.5) to see Robots (not much of a kid flick either) and the ROTS trailer was shown.  It got the kids all scared.  I am sure she will be in an uproar about this to. 

How could BK hype this stuff to kids?  Blah-blah-blah.  The funny thing is that the kids probably could care less either way.  But the parents will flip.   

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Isn't that why BK is offering the Jedi Meal thing to adults? So they can say this is an adult-themed promotion?

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2005, 01:25 PM »
I don't have kids so I cannot talk from that end.  But I have nieces and they are 7 and 1.5 years old.  They went to see the movie with me.  The 7 year old feel sleep.  The baby saw the whole thing.  She loved it.  She lightsaber duels now with just about anything she can duel with. 

So I not know what the hype is about

Darth Broem has good points and I understand that about the film, hence the rating, but I don't understand how that relates to the toys.  The actual toys don't do any of that.  These types of groups are always going to come up with something.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 03:17 PM by Gatillo »
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Well to be honest there is definitely stuff in the movie that could scare kids.  Not every kid of course.  But spooky music, disformed faces, burning flesh, decapitations, limbs cut off, overall violence, kids killed, screaming pregnant woman, wife choked by her husband, burn victim with limbs off lying on a table. 

All this stuff or some of the stuff could frighten a kid.  I think you can see that. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2005, 05:16 PM »
I don't have kids so I cannot talk from that end.  But I have nieces and they are 7 and 1.5 years old.  They went to see the movie with me.  The 7 year old feel sleep.  The baby saw the whole thing.  She loved it.  She lightsaber duels now with just about anything she can duel with. 

Infants/Toddlers don't often have much in the way of a fear response.  They don't know enough (yet) to know something is or isn't scary. 

My daughter loved Snow White up until about age three, when she came to the startling realization that the Witch/Queen is actually pretty damn scary.  Show it to your niece again in about 2 years and see what happens. 

As for the 7 year old, I haven't seen many kids in the theater that weren't considerably bored for chunks of the movie.  Sadly neither they nor their parents seem to feel that it's bad to talk during the slow parts in a movie >:(

As to the more general question of appropriate age, it's kid and parent specific.  If your kid is relatively mature and able to handle it, 8-10 is fine unless they have more delicate sensibilities.  I honestly have no idea why anyone would rush their kid out to see an immolation scene, a decapitation and the (implied) slaughter of children.  Let kids be kids, if they want to go and can stay interested, fine, otherwise don't force your (our) obsession on them.  There are better movies for them. 

With respect to the nannies out there protecting the kiddies, I'm all for Lando jumping on his soapbox.  Save me from doing it.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2005, 08:04 PM »
::) Stupid bitchy whiny watchdog groups. They're frickin' Happy Meal Toys. If BK were doing toys of decapitated younglings or Crispy McAnakin, then these moralizing soccer moms might have a point. But they aren't. So they don't.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2005, 08:28 PM »
A few weeks ago, I was driving to a doctor's appointment and turned on the radio (the first time I had done so in a loooooong time) and I heard an ad for a "Concerned Parents" group that made me turn off the radio in disgust.

Basically, it was your typical "Times are becoming more and more troubling and instead of blaming bad parenting, we want to blame the entertainment industry" advert, but the most telling point was this.  This group (whose name I can't remember even though I really wish I could) had, as their main selling point to all these concerned parents, that THEY (the company) would send out a weekly email to tell all the concerned parents what was offensive on TV/movies/radio/music that week with a prewritten email and the addresses of pertinent agencies to send them to.

Their approach was essentially, "Since we know you are too busy to take an interest in what you child does, we will tell you what to protest to give you the illusion you're watching after their needs."

And you know what I say to that?  **** them.  If you're a good parent who actually raises your child yourself, I have no problem with you, but if you park Junior in front of the television without knowing or caring what he's watching so you can sit around and gossip with the neighborhood sewing circle about "Desperate Housewives", your opinion means nothing to me and should mean nothing to everyone else.

The simple fact that seven year olds with horrible parents are having such a huge influence on what I, as an adult, can and cannot do, watch, or listen to is a ridiculous concept.  Do some ******* parenting and stop worrying about whether or not Paris Hilton's cellphone has been hacked into.   ::)