Author Topic: RotS - Collection 1 Figures  (Read 16772 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
RotS - Collection 1 Figures
« on: February 23, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Hasbro has now posted "close up looks" at some of the collection 1 figures (looks like 11 of the first 12 to me, no Grievous).  Although not necessarily anything new, always nice to get some official pics of them too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 03:17 PM by Nataku »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: RotS - Collection 2 Figures (Apr 2nd Wave)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 03:09 PM »
Figured I'd start a new thread for Collection 1 since the carded Figure thread is turning into one giant jumble of stuff...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: RotS - Collection 1 Figures
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 05:13 PM »
Yeah, a new thread is nice.

I like these figures - not as much as the collection 2 figures, but the Emperor just looks bitchin.

:P

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2005, 01:11 PM »
My one and only request for Collection 1.  I want an Obi-Wan, an Anakin, and a Mace with full Jedi robes.  No stupid action feature that mars the robe itself.  They can even put Agen Kolar's robe (modified?) on them to do it so they can have their stupid action features still...I just want a figure of each of them in a robe. 

To think that we have yet to get an Obi-Wan from AOTC in a full robe that isn't drenched in water or that has been assaulted by the fluff cycle is baffling, and there hasn't been a Mace figure in a decent robe since the Episode I Sneak Preview figure is baffling to me.  I'm hoping this will not continue with the ROTS figures.

As for the action features, back in the day we had what is apparently now rare these days: imagination.  We didn't need oversized firing rocket launchers for arms or "Sith Lightning Attack" missles coming out of people's sleeves; we just made believe that they were there.  By that same idea, I again point out that I have yet to see a single child buy a Star Wars toy in the last three years that is not a role-play lightsaber.  Either way, this is the last year where Hasbro can claim that they have a huge fanbase of children buying the toys, because after this year, the collectors are all Hasbro is going to have.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2005, 01:14 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2005, 01:28 PM »
We should be able to put the Agen Kolar on these figures ourselves.  Everyone, do what I am going to do and get an Agen Kolar army.   :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: March 1, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Me, too.  I think I'm buying four of these:

1: robes for Obi Wan
2: robes for Mace
3: sleeves for Anakin second version
4: robes for Kit Fisto

Plus, one of Agen himself of course.  What's everybody else going to do?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 1, 2005, 04:45 PM »
Well, let's see.  Here's the following figures that I want to either upgrade or customize with this Agen Kolar robe.  Hopefully all of these will be doable -

TPM
Qui Gon Jinn
Obi Wan Kenobi

AOTC
Obi Wan Kenobi
Mace Windu
Plo Koon
Anakin Skywalker

Clone Wars
Quinlin Vos

ROTS
Obi Wan Kenobi
Mace Windu
Anakin Skywalker

ANH
Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 1, 2005, 04:57 PM »
After rereading my post, I also wanted to point out that back in the day, I also had to walk to school every day, uphill in both directions, wearing nothing but cardboard boxes on my feet, in the pouring rain without an umbrella.  :D

As for the robe thing, I'd rather have one "ultimate" version of a character in a particular outfit than 15 different versions of a character where no single one comes close to doing it justice as a "perfect" figure.  I know that Hasbro doesn't want to do a "perfect" figure (how else would they sell the 1000th version of Darth Vader?) and holds back in some areas, but why there are going to be two figures of Anakin in the same outfit (okay, so one has a robe and "spooky eyes") on the first day of release, while neither can serve as a pilot figure for the Jedi Starfighter that will have already  been out for almost two months by that time is beyond me.

There was an old Dana Carvey standup special where he was talking about how his son went nuts over a particular brand of toy, and he was talking about how often, the only difference in the toys would be (and this was reaching) the position of one of the hands.  "Megator, Megotee, Megotoo...each click of the finger means $7.99 more from you!"  (I probably have the quote wrong, but that's the spirit of it, I think)

Even with the VOTC figures, Hasbro held back.  With at least half of those figures, you can look at them and say "well, this would have been better if (fill in the blank)."  If there was a theoretical Collection 3 (WTF am I thinking?  More glut?) with just the main characters in a multi-articulated, non-action feature marred assortment, I'd pass on Collection 1 entirely.  But then again, that's probably the reason there aren't mega-articulated versions of the main characters: if there were, nobody would be buying their "Darth Vader with projectile vomit" action figures and it would kill their whole "kids love action features" theory dead in the water.

Okay, I'm going to stop being so negative about all this.  This is what happens when you have a bad day and decide to post. ;)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2005, 08:36 AM »
No, I agree with some of what you said.  Although I have seen more kids in the Star Wars aisle than most collectors apparently.  However, they are not exactly buying the stuff up.  It's not like I see kids in the aisles every time I walked down them either.  The ones I have seen seem to have an interest.  How far that interest goes is beyond me?

However, I do remember being in the aisle and 2 or 3 boys wanted to buy Chewbacca, Vader, or Luke.  But none of those characters were on the pegs.  It was all Ach Med Bag and the old Imperial Dignitary and such.  They moved on to another line - Transformers.  Which does seem to have the ultimate in action features in that they change into something else. 

I know what you mean though.  I did not need that action feature stuff when I was a kid either.  However, if they are trying to get kids to buy this stuff Hasbro probably wants to jazz it up the most they can.  They are competing with video games and other lines that actually DO something. 

I agree.  Collectors are what moves this merchandise.  At least they abandon that stuff in a non-movie year.  I guess they figure this is the only time they have to snag kids so they think action features help?  Something to put on their packaging.  "Wookie Rage"  "Lightsaber Attack!!!"  and so forth.  Most of the collectors are going to buy the figures with or without the action features.  Not all but most.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2005, 07:12 PM »
Darth Broem, I agree with what you're saying as far as the action features go.  As much as I loathe and despise them, it was the only way we got certain characters in the AOTC/Saga line (your avatar, for example, as well as Count Dooku).  Some of the action features worked quite well and didn't harm the figure's aesthetic appeal at all (Kamino Escape Jango is the first one to come to mind), but others were a complete disaster (Acklay Battle Obi-Wan and his overly friendly right hand, as well as Tatooine Attack Anakin with his "slightly miffed" Jedi foot nudge).  The way things look, several of the ROTS figures are on the non-offensive side of action features, but the way that some of these features depend on leg squeezin' makes me worry that the figures won't be able to sit down at all.

So, when someone finds the Anakin or Obi-Wan figures early (since apparently the only time the local WM employees can read is when it affects my ability to find things), can they do a quick check to let me (and everyone else) know if they can actually fit inside the Jedi Starfighter(s)?  I was hoping they would start giving everyone the "gummy" skirts (check out the Outlander Club Obi-Wan for an example of what I'm talking about) as opposed to the traditional stiff rubber skirts so they could sit down, but off the top of my head, I think that's the only figure they've done that on in the last few years.

« Last Edit: March 2, 2005, 07:12 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2005, 08:54 AM »
Hasbro has another update today with Collection 1, Wave 2 which includes Tarffu, Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker.

ROTS Action Figure Collection 1, Wave 2
« Last Edit: March 4, 2005, 01:31 PM by Nataku »

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re: RotS - Collection 2 Figures
« Reply #11 on: March 4, 2005, 12:51 PM »
I'm getting into the wookies, with the preview wookie warrior, so I'll be getting Tarfull and Chewie for sure!
 WoooooKieee RaaaGe!!!!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 6, 2005, 09:54 AM »
Another update today from Hasbro. Wave 3, Collection 1 has the Clone Commander, Clone Trooper Pilot and General Grievous for your viewing pleasure.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 6, 2005, 11:53 AM »
These looks really cool - especially being Collectin 1 figures.

The pilot is so cool to me - it totally reminds me of the AT-AT driver design... I wonder if that helmet is removable?  Either way, I want a crapload of this figure.  Several for dioramas, and many for custom fodder.

The more I see this guy, the more I like it.  He looks like a more realistic ARC Trooper to me, and is much better than what we got in the Clone Wars line... wonder if there will be a blue version later on?  Count me in for a few, but not as many as the pilot.

« Last Edit: March 6, 2005, 11:56 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 6, 2005, 12:23 PM »
These looks really cool - especially being Collectin 1 figures.

The pilot is so cool to me - it totally reminds me of the AT-AT driver design... I wonder if that helmet is removable?  Either way, I want a crapload of this figure.  Several for dioramas, and many for custom fodder.

The more I see this guy, the more I like it.  He looks like a more realistic ARC Trooper to me, and is much better than what we got in the Clone Wars line... wonder if there will be a blue version later on?  Count me in for a few, but not as many as the pilot.

Ew! I really don't like that Pilot. Maybe if I see it myself, I'll have a change of heart, but other than that, I really don't like it at all. What was wrong with the practicality of the origional clone Pilots?

I'm loving the clone comander. He's too cool to pass up.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...