Author Topic: Digital Version Longer  (Read 3748 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Digital Version Longer
« on: March 28, 2005, 05:36 PM »
Click on the rolling eyes:  ::)

Apparently, the digital version of ROTS will be different and even longer than the film version.  Why can't Lucas just make a movie without making so different versions?  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Digital Version Longer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 06:21 PM »
Figures.

You hear how much longer, J2?

I remember at C2 when McCallum was yapping INCESSANTLY about their digital filmmaking, and strongly suggested that folks try really hard to find a digital screening in their area to watch AOTC over any typical regular screening.  It was fairly obvious to all in attendance that they were hinting that they'd tinkered with the "final" movie, though fatass Rick wouldn't confirm that outright.

****** thing for most people was that there were practically zero digital showings back then.  There was only one theater anywhere nearby me here in L.A. that had the digital showing, so I checked it out.  The only change was the addition of Anakin's mechanical arm in the wedding scene at the end of AOTC.  Nice touch, I guess, but still stupid they couldn't add that to ALL the final prints.  They were basically trying to force theaters into investing into their digital projectors, and suggesting that all the SW fans in attendance go rant and rave to their local theater managers for not being able to show the far superior digital version.

I felt very dirty and used when Fat Rick finally stopped yapping that evening...   ::)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 07:35 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 07:43 PM »
Is there a specific reference to the movie actually being "different and even longer" or is this being inferred by the McCallum quote? What is wrong with having extra time to polish a film?

I personally don’t feel it is worth getting worked up about. See it on film if you can't see a digital projection, and then see all the changes on the DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay. Digital presentations aren’t all they’re made out to be at this point anyway. There’s strong argument for them after the first few weeks in regards to print wear, but from an image standpoint, a pristine film print will look better than any digital projector in use at this time. The only real standout is uncompressed digital audio.

The only area I see as defensible is where you would like to archive the "original" theatrical presentation (the edit printed to film for May 19) for the future. That version will be lost forever if the current trend continues. But that is also the case for TPM and AOTC - neither are the theatrical versions or the v2 "digital" versions.

And AOTC isn't necessarily a good indicator of what can change in ROTS. AOTC's last few reels were in flux for a long time. The latest word has been that ROTS was locked some time ago, and the biggest issue now is with runtime, and that some of the off-world Jedi battles are looking to be trimmed. It's not like in the film version you're going to see Vader burn up on Mustafar, and in the digital print magical fairy pixies swoop to sing a love song instead.

I’m just curious what it is, specifically, that bugs everyone about the issue.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 11:37 PM »
It's not like in the film version you're going to see Vader burn up on Mustafar, and in the digital print magical fairy pixies swoop to sing a love song instead.

Can you promise me this?  Because after the Sound of Music schtick in AOTC, I'm not convinced.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 06:59 PM »
Lucas wants every damn theatre to switch to digital.  It ain't going to happen George.  At least not until the system fall about 98% in price.  There is NO incentive for them to this...yet.   

What pisses me off about it is this.  The nearest digital theatre is over 3 hours away from me.  I would love to see ROTS in a digital theatre but I am not driving 3 hours plus to view and then drive 3 hours back.  Not even for the extended scenes or whatever he has up his sleeve for it. 

Uggggh.  Sorry it's just so idiotic.  Make one damn version and put it out there for everyone to enjoy. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 07:07 PM »
I’m just curious what it is, specifically, that bugs everyone about the issue.

I think what Brian's mentioned below is the biggest issue folks have with the digital version being longer/different:

What pisses me off about it is this.  The nearest digital theatre is over 3 hours away from me.  I would love to see ROTS in a digital theatre but I am not driving 3 hours plus to view and then drive 3 hours back.  Not even for the extended scenes or whatever he has up his sleeve for it.

Not everyone has access to digital theaters, but they'd all love to see the enhanced digital presentation.  Obviously if there's additional footage, however minor, most Star Wars fans are not going to want to wait 7 months to see it on DVD.  I know I wouldn't.

"Completist".  Goes for figures, as well as the film.  No scene left unviewed...  Ya' know?  ;)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 02:12 AM »
Check out DLP's listing of Digital projection location at this page.  It looks like there are a lot more theaters with the equipment now than there were when AOTC was exhibited digitally in 2002.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 03:55 AM »
Damn, I'd have to go to Chicago or Minneapolis to see a digital showing of ROTS, which I'm not willing to do unless I was going there for some other business.

Guess I'll just wait for the DVD.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 08:12 AM »
Ummmm, oops.  Thank you for the new listing.  I never realized the new Grand Prairie 18 in Peoria, Illinois actually had a digital screen.  I will just uh...you know....shut up and hide over here in the corner. 

Heh-heh-heh.  Yeah.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Daaaaaaamn! I've got my choice of 6 different theatres to go to for the digital version, and all of them are within 20 minutes by subway!  :o
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Daaaaaaamn! I've got my choice of 6 different theatres to go to for the digital version, and all of them are within 20 minutes by subway!  :o

I'm happy about that too.  In 2002 it was just the AMC Empire on 42nd that had AOTC digitally.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 12:06 AM »
3 digital theaters in Texas, all in Dallas. I'll wait and see this extended footage on DVD, thank you very much.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 06:18 PM »
<3 Crossgates mall for using digital projectors.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: April 3, 2005, 11:00 PM »
I wish every theater was digital. Oh well I got one pretty close to me. I guess I know what theater i'll be at on the 19th now. :)
"This is the way."

Offline MommySkywalker

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 04:42 PM »
3 digital theaters in Texas, all in Dallas. I'll wait and see this extended footage on DVD, thank you very much.

Me, too!  A three-hour drive is a bit much to see a movie!   ;)
Lisa, aka Mommy Skywalker
Remember: concentrate on the moment.
Feel, don't think; use your instincts.