Author Topic: Hanging Ships  (Read 12398 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Hanging Ships
« on: March 29, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Has anyone here ended up hanging any of their vehicles/ships from the ceiling?  I have always displayed mine on shelves, but I've been considering trying the hanging option.  I'm starting to get tight with space (conserving an area for ROTS stuff), and would like to keep my ships out and on display....but if they were off of a shelf and hanging above, it would really help out.  Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you have (or are considering) ended up hanging ships, and how you felt about it.  Also, what do you use to hang them (fishing line?) and to bolt/screw/attach them to the ceiling.  Thanks for any advice you might have.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging Ships
« Reply #1 on: April 2, 2005, 05:20 PM »
I had Darth Vader's Tie hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom.  I just used fishing line and I think a hook used to hold cups, I think they were called cuphooks or something like that.  For the most I liked the way it  plus a P51 mustang hanging from my ceiling  looked.  The one concern that I had was if I were to knock it off the hook or something else would knock it down.  The Mustang was my bigger probelm since it was above my bed.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Has anyone here ended up hanging any of their vehicles/ships from the ceiling?  I have always displayed mine on shelves, but I've been considering trying the hanging option.  I'm starting to get tight with space (conserving an area for ROTS stuff), and would like to keep my ships out and on display....but if they were off of a shelf and hanging above, it would really help out.  Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you have (or are considering) ended up hanging ships, and how you felt about it.  Also, what do you use to hang them (fishing line?) and to bolt/screw/attach them to the ceiling.  Thanks for any advice you might have.

I have a pic or two over at www.photobucket.com enter: bobafett14 for album.

In one pic  you'll see the vinatge Falcon and TIE hanging from one of my ceilings.  I used a strong fishing line, and a hook that I screwed into the ceiling.  Works well.  The falcon usually takes a little practice to get it to hang right.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Clone On Fire

• Youngling
  • Blaze of Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 01:34 PM »
Whatever you do, don't use rubber bands!  At first, I thought this was cool, as the heat kicked on, the ships kind of bouyed up and down and made it look like it was flying.  I had 2 X-Wings converging on a TIE.  And then, well, the heat dried the rubber bands out slowly.  One night, BAM!!  I jumped out of bed and turned on the lights, let's just say the X-Wing that came down was in more pieces than it originally was in when I unpacked it from the Hasbro box.  I checked the other ships right there, rubber bands were all dry and ready to export their ships to the same fiery fate on my bedroom floor.

Use fishing line  :-\
They cannot conquer forever!

Offline Bobby Fett

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 08:42 AM »
If you have a suspended or drop ceiling, there are made-for-the-purpose hooks available at hardware stores.  The hooks are designed to fold over the metal runners in the ceiling.

I have everything from a TIE fighter to a Republic gunship hanging with no problems.

Definitely use fishing line!  If you have any kind of pattern or design in the ceiling the fishing line is almost invisible.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 08:44 AM by Bobby Fett »
To err is human, but when you run out of eraser before you run out of pencil, you're overdoing it.

Offline commander apoc

• Jedi Initiate
  • Fine by me.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 5, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Here in Europe we sometimes have seilings that are made from a sort of foam (not too strong ofcourse and very thin), and sometimes concrete. What we use in the concrete types are standart plugs, just drill a holl and plug in the plastic stick... Than you can screw in a hook and hang you're ships on with fishingline. Every hardware store has these plugs in masses ;D

In the other case, foam (what I have my at home) you use special plugs, that foldout when they are inserted and hooked them self thight around the foam when you put in a screw or hook. keep in mind that that is not stong enough too hold heavy stuff. Luckely I don't have enough models to do that yet, and I have a lot space on my shelfs for more models in the upcoming years... ;D

Oh, and we don't have metal runners in the ceiling, there from wood in de foam case.....

good luck.
There can never be enough clones.....

Offline Darth_Deastron

• Jedi Initiate
  • Let the hate flow through you.
    • View Profile
    • The Sith Empire
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 04:06 PM »
I tried to hang my Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter (ROTS) from the cieling, and it was a disaster, the string kept spinning, and the string was cutting through the plasing of the fighter (not too much, thankfully)

I don't think i did it correctly, so I'm probably gonna try something different for my gunships...
FS: TSE Sith Holocron Props!  Cool heartbeat glow! PM me if you're interested.

The Sith Empire

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 10:05 PM »
eh?  How does string cut through thick plastic?  or plasing as you say.

All my ships that are hung from the ceiling - I use fishing line and eye hooks.  I've not had a problem hanging any of mine in any position whatsoever though I haven't tried hanging anything heavier than the X or B wing.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 03:08 AM »
I've been toying (no pun intended) with haning my two pod racers from the ceiling.  Has anyone tried this and have any advice?  I'm not sure how to hang them with the fishing line.
This is the way.

I have spoken.