Author Topic: April/2005 - Your Plan of Action  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
April 2, 3, 4 - Your Plan of Action
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 10:09 AM »
For those of you heading out looking for the new ROTS stuff this weekend, have you decided on your plan of action?  I got to thinking about this further while reading Scott's "Opening Weekend Collector's Challenge" thread, and I'm really trying to decide what I want to get right off the bat, and how much to spend.  Around here, we never had the leaks, aside from the Galactic Heroes packs at Target (which very quickly disappeared), so I'm basically starting from scratch.  There is a big part of me that just wants to go wild, and buy everything that I can find (that I want)...but then again, its not like the majority of it won't be available for the next few weeks, months, and in some cases years ;).  There seems to be different ways of looking at it...you can get the bulk now, and not have to worry until new stuff hits.  Or, you can but a little now, and a little next week, and a little more the next week, etc.  I had really hoped to keep it under $200 this weekend, and maybe shoudl shoot even lower than that.  I think that I spent almost $200 opening night of AOTC merchandise, and that was kind of fun since that was the most I had ever bought at once.  Anyways, what do you think you'll be picking up opening night (or weekend).  Are you saving some for later, even if you could afford it now?  Will you pick up anything and everything you can find?

It is also hard to figure out, since we still don't "officially" know what will be on the pegs that day, and it will probably vary from state to state, store to store.  I'm just trying to decide if I should just buy some now, and pick up things here and there over the next few weeks or to just get what I can afford right away.  I'm really looking forward to this movie and its merchandise, and it should be a fun time.  This is what I hope to pick up this weekend and in the following days/weeks:

Basic Figures - Likely most of these, eliminating all incarnations of the Battle/Destroyer droids, picking the best version of "multiple release" characters like Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, Grievous (any advice).  Depending on what is released that day (1-24, 1-32, etc.), could be up to 25ish figures or so, not counting multiples that might come later.

Deluxe Figures - Of the first wave, probably none.  Maybe the Grievous if it is better than the basic version, although basic would be cheaper.  Had planned on the Anakin to Vader, but now might wait for the one with the med table.

Unleashed - All 3 of the initial ones, even though I don't have room for them right now.  Trying to figure that out quickly.  I'd like to pick up Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Grievous right away, I just really enjoy this line.

Galactic Heroes - Found them a month or so ago, so I'm set until the next wave.  Nice to at least have something out of the way :).

Beasts/Vehicles - This is where I'm trying to figure out what to pick up now, and what to wait on.  I'm leaning towards likely picking up the Boga, AT-RT, and possibly the BARC Speeder right away.  I also really like the pics I've seen of Obi's fighter, and am a fan of the character, so I might pick that one up as well.  I'd also like to get the ARC 170 Fighter, I just think it looks cool.  I'm going to wait/possibly pass on Grievous' wheelbike, the Tri-Droid fighter, and definitely passing on the Gunship.  Have one, barely have room for that one :).

Exclusives - I've been back and forth on the Lava Vader.  We're big fans of Target, and would like to give them the business, but I just don't know if the figure is worth the hassle plus $13 price point.  I'd really like to get that Holo Yoda at TRU if possible, I'll probably check that out.  Still up in the air with what Wal-Mart will have, so we'll have to see.

Books - A number I want to eventually get, but will probably just pick up the Visual Dictionary right away.  I always enjoy those books.

I think that's about it for the first weekend, but its always hard to have restraint when you see all the product at once.  I'm trying to devise a plan of action to space things out, both for financial considerations and just to have something to look at/pick up in the coming weeks as well.  There's always that worry that you'll miss something, no matter how many times we've been through this and usually see the "rare" item in large quantities down the road.  Anyways, what is your plan?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: 2005: Getting an Idea of What You'll Be Picking Up?
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 10:55 AM »
Ok - here's my break-down

Basic Action Figures - $5.99
2x of each (1 carded, 1 loose)

Deluxe Action Figures - $9.99

Battle Arenas - $19.99
2x of each (1 MIB, 1 loose)

12" Figures - $19.99-$49.99
1 of each, will probably wait on the Chewie from KB

Vehicles - Battle Vehicles - $14.99
2x of each (1 MIB, 1 loose)

Vehicles - Assault Vehicles - $19.99
already have this assortment  ;D

Vehicles - Gunship (Large) - $29.99
2x ARC-170
2x Republic Gunship

Playsets - $29.99
2x Mustafar Playset (one MIB, the other to open and play with on April 2nd!)

Unleashed - $14.99

Force Battlers - $9.99
*UGH* definitely a "no thank you"

Galactic Heroes - $4.99
pass

Jedi Force - $7.99
no thank you

Darth Tater - $7.99
no thank you

Attacktix - $5.99 to $9.99
*UGH* definitely a "no thank you"

Role Play - Various Prices
no thank you

I think that about covers it... thanks for the post template Jeff!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: April/2005 - Your Plan of Action
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 11:30 AM »
Along the same lines....are many of you heading out that night to stores, or waiting until the next day (Saturday...day time).  I don't think that our local TRU is doing a Midnight Madness, but if they are, it sounds as if that Holo Yoda might not be available until April 10, so if that is the case, I won't bother either way this weekend.  I was planning on heading to Wal-mart around 11:30 or so Friday night, and then possibly heading to Target/Wal-Mart the next day again to go over things again.  I'm hoping it isn't too hectic on Friday night, but I don't know what to expect living in a larger city this time around :).  Anyways, are you going that night, or just waiting and picking over things on Saturday?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I think I'll be going out at night, but now since Yoda will NOT be at TRU, I may just focus on the army builders or figures I think will be difficult to find the next day - like the clones, senate guards, sith and jedi. I may just pick up my MOC set at TRU at Midnight Madness and wait to grab my openers the next day at Target.

Since my plans currently had me waiting in line at Target right after leaving Midnight Madness anyway about the only change in my plans may be to skip the TRU midnight madness altogether and go right to Target and camp out at the store over-night.

GalacticHunter posted a comment that people shouldn't be worried about these things being hard to get, but I think they aren't factoring the "professional eBayer" into account. If I made my living on eBay and all I had to do to turn a quick $50 profit was wake up at 5AM and go to Target to grab a red-chrome Darth Vader figure - I would do it.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 11:49 AM »
I see that Wal-Mart.com has updated their Star Wars section with a number of ROTS products.  Nothing really for sale yet (coming soon), but perhaps it will give us a little bit of an idea of what will be available on 4/2.  It claims that "these products will be available April 2", so we'll have to see.  I'm sure it will depend on area, but anyways...here's the linky.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 12:34 PM »
Interesting - I only see 29 different figures on the WalMart website:

III-1 Obi-Wan Kenobi
III-2 Anakin Skywalker
III-4 SuperBattleDroid
III-5 Chewbacca
III-6 CloneTrooper
III-7 R2-D2
III-8 Grievous Bodyguard
III-9 General Grievous
III-13 Count Dooku
III-14 Chancellor Palpatine
III-15 Bail Organa
III-16 Plo Koon
III-17 BattleDroid
III-18 C-3PO
III-19 Padme
III-20 Agen Kolar
III-21 Shaak Ti
III-22 Kit Fisto
III-23 Royal Guard (blue pictured)
III-24 Mon Mothma
III-26 Yoda (Spinning Attack)
III-29 Ki-Adi Mundi
III-30 Saesee Tiin
III-31 Luminara Unduli
III-32 Aayla Secura
III-37 Vader's Medical Droid
III-38 AT-TE Gunner
III-39 Polis Massan
III-40 Mas Amedda

Where the heck are:

III-3 Yoda
III-10 Mace Windu
III-11 Darth Vader
III-12 Palpatine
III-25 Tarfful
III-27 Obi-Wan
III-28 Anakin
III-33 Clone Commander
III-34 Clone Pilot
III-35 Emperor Palpatine
III-36 General Grevious

I'm happy to see that the AT-TE Gunner is on WalMart's site, but I was REALLY hoping to see the Clone Commander and Clone Pilot come out on Friday/Saturday!  :(
Peter

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005, 12:38 PM »
Yeah, I noticed some of those missing as well, so this probably isn't entirely accurate.  You know we should at least be seeing the earlier numbered figures (Yoda, Vader, Emperor).

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 12:42 PM »
Yeah, I noticed some of those missing as well, so this probably isn't entirely accurate.  You know we should at least be seeing the earlier numbered figures (Yoda, Vader, Emperor).

Not to mention the fact that I KNOW WalMart has received Collection 1, Wave 2 - (Tarfful, Spinning Yoda, Obi#2, Ani#2) - cases have been visually verified in the stockroom AND I saw but was not allowed to purchase a case of Col 1, Wave 2 figs late last week. So I've physically held all four of these figures in my hands.

My thinking is the the Yoda on the site is in error (to say the least) - the figure that should be pictured is III-3, not III-26
Peter

Offline SGT. Flint

• Youngling
  • Th'is I... The Price Of Punk
    • View Profile
I have an ingenius plan for MM
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005, 07:01 PM »
As some may know TRU matches ads, so here is the plan.... bring the Walmart ad with you (To whoever goes to MM TRU style) and save some of the $$$$$$$ stuff.

Good plan

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 05:52 AM by JediMAC »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: I have a in-genius plan for MM
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2005, 07:06 PM »
Is there a Walmart ad already advertising their price?  If so, sounds good to me!  But I will still be going to Walmart probably!

:P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005, 07:08 PM »
Haven't heard of a WM ad.  I assume you're talking about the Target ad...?  But that comes out the day after midnight madness, so that won't work either.  Or coupon?

So what ad is this of which you speak, eh?  ???

If you're talking about the Target ad, I'm going to merge this onto the Target coupon thread, since folks were already suggesting a similar idea there...  :-*
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 07:09 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 08:01 PM »
It's true.  There is an ad, which I assume is a Friday circular. Yakface (!) has it up:

Walmart ad at Yakface

Very, very interesting. Could come in handy.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2005, 08:22 PM »
I got that ad in last sunday's paper here in MN... you might want to stop into the local WM and see if they still have them laying around.

Sorry for the crappy pic, but taking pictures of newspaper ads is obviously not my camera's strong suit.  :(

edit - just checked and the ad is on-line at Wal-Mart.com too...

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 08:25 PM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline SGT. Flint

• Youngling
  • Th'is I... The Price Of Punk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 08:39 PM »
So I have a good plan eh

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 08:53 PM »
It's a good plan if you would rather go there than Walmart.  For me, I'd rather go to Walmart anyday since I know I will have my pick of what I want.

Back in the Fall of 1999, when the figures cost $6.99 at TRU and $6.76 at Walmart, Kmart ran and ad with them for just $4.99.  At that time I was in college and money was really tight, so saving $2.00 a figure by bringing the ad to TRU was awesome.  I remember getting about 15 Battle Droids that day... I was very happy.

:P