Author Topic: 2005 Red Metallic Darth Vader @ Target  (Read 39094 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: 2005 Red Metallic Darth Vader @ Target
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Jared - I agree with you 100% - my enthusiasm for this is really dwindling. For me it's becoming more of a CHORE than it is the "Fun of collecting" - thank god this is the final movie year 'cause I don't think I could handle something WORSE than this in three years!

It's only a chore if you make it one.

Sorry, but as I see it, completists don't have a leg to stand on when complaining about how hard it is to find particular items or exclusives--particularly if you want all the card variations and/or both openers and carded items. When you decide to be a completist, you know what you're getting into, and have pre-committed to jumping through whatever hoops are necessary.

If you don't think it's worth the effort for this or any other figure, skip it and move on.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 02:28 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

SilverZ

« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2005, 02:48 PM »
It's only a chore if you make it one.

Sorry, but as I see it, completists don't have a leg to stand on when complaining about how hard it is to find particular items or exclusives--particularly if you want all the card variations and/or both openers and carded items. When you decide to be a completist, you know what you're getting into, and have pre-committed to jumping through whatever hoops are necessary.

If you don't think it's worth the effort for this or any other figure, skip it and move on.

Just my 2 cents.

The reality is that it is a chore. I don't feel that because some collectors’ habits don't match others can justify retailers abusing a section of the market in such a manipulative way.

I'd tend to agree with you if we weren't at the 10-year anniversary mark of the line, where the amount of exclusives, piled on top of each other on the same day and in limited quantities, are being released in a newfound aggressiveness never attempted in previous years. Never before have the toys been released in a way that makes it quite challenge (if not impossible for some) for collectors to get everything they want. Remember, Hasbro used to have a "policy" of no exclusives during a movie year.

If this type of promotion and exploitation of completists was present from early on, there wouldn't be as many completists left to get upset by this.  By the end of April 2, I can imagine there will be fewer completists out there, as well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 02:55 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2005, 03:18 PM »
Certainly these gimmicks are ridiculous and manipulative--I don't disagree there--but that doesn't mean collectors have to bite. The retailers think up this stuff because they know diehards will buy anything and everything. It's a self-perpetuating cycle I think.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2005, 03:19 PM »
Rebelscum has a large report detailing the Target Employee Handbook for the ROTS toy release.  You can view a number of scans HERE.  It really sounds as if they are going all out that day, and in the month(s) following.  Sounds like Target will definitely be a place to be on 4/2.  I'm still trying to figure out my plan of action :).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Target sure is going to a lot of effort to try to make sure the Vader is handed out 1 per person, which is at least kinda nice that not 1-2 groups can hoard them all right off the bat.

It does sound like I'll be at Target at 6:15am to be sure I'm in line in time to get a ticket...  not like I wanted to sleep in or anything anyway.  ::)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2005, 04:26 PM »
I was just reading over the scans on RS, and (just to show that I'm not always a bitter cynic) scan 6 caused me to choke on my soda from laughing so hard.  It has nothing to do with the policy or anything; the wording of the headline just reminded me of an old SNL sketch advertising "Happy Fun Ball."

The first thing that came to mind when I saw that page and its "How To Handle The Lava Reflection Darth Vader" figure was:

DO NOT TAUNT LAVA REFLECTION DARTH VADER

:D

Just go here and substitute "LAVA REFLECTION DARTH VADER" for every occurrence of "HAPPY FUN BALL" in a monotone voice and you'll see why I'm laughing so hard.

SilverZ

« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2005, 05:03 PM »
Target sure is going to a lot of effort to try to make sure the Vader is handed out 1 per person, which is at least kinda nice that not 1-2 groups can hoard them all right off the bat.

It's good that they've at least put solid effort in, and now with these scans I'll have something to wave in their faces if something goes wrong.

But did anyone tell them their exclusive was crap?  ;)

DO NOT TAUNT LAVA REFLECTION DARTH VADER

It does sound like they believe if the one per customer rule is broken, riots will ensue... which is possible.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2005, 05:23 PM »
I definatly would LIKE to get one of these but getting up at 6am? for a toy? uh no not gonna happen.
Now I do plan to go to walmart at 11:30pm april 1 for Rots stuff,. or go back at 9 or 10 am if nothing was out. But 6am? nuh uh. :o
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2005, 11:41 AM »
So is it official that to get the Target Vader you only have to be there early enough to get the ticket and fork over $12.99?  You don't also have to purchase X dollars worth of toys do you?

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2005, 12:16 PM »
I hope that Target doesnt open at midnight, becaus eif this is the case I have no problem waking up around 5AM to wait in line to get a number. If they open at midnight then I really have no idea which store to go to.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2005, 04:36 PM »
GH has 2 pictures of the Vader in it's VOTC like clear clamshell case.

Carded Lava Vader

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2005, 05:10 PM »
I told my dad about this exclusive today.  He volunteered to wait in line with me at Target that morning.  I was like "You want to wake up at 4am and be there by 5am?"  He says "Sure.  You think that will be early enough?"  I"m like "Man, you want me to have that figure bad don't you?"  He's says "Sure.  It's Darth Vader and limited." 

So, we are going to make a run at it anyway.  See what happens.  I can't disappoint dad!  :)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2005, 05:46 PM »
Very cool!  With Dad on your side, you're bound to be successful.   :)

Good luck!

SilverZ

« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2005, 06:20 PM »
Look at the ebay auction the pics came from... already over 100.00 bucks.  ::)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2005, 06:29 PM »
My girlfriend has made the same offer, but I figure I'll just let her sleep in and hope that there are so few people at Target that early that they'll just let me buy a second one.