Author Topic: ROTS Opening Weekend Great Collector's Challenge  (Read 7868 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
ROTS Opening Weekend Great Collector's Challenge
« on: March 27, 2005, 11:05 PM »
Stolen From the great Morgbug...

Anyone want to estimate AND see how much they spend just this weekend on the rows and rows of stuff that will fill the aisles?  The '05 GCC guys and Gals have to do this anyway but those of us not participating may want to have a go at just this weekend :)

Here's the deal:
Keep track of every penny you spend starting on April 2nd. 
-Anything that is in transit does not count. 
-If you have paid for something (item in hand) and are still in need of shipping, the shipping costs count
-for Canuckleheads, customs fees (taxes +$5.00) count, if applied to a trade of international origin
-preorders count if your credit card is charged only on April 02 or 03, 2005
-travel charges (i.e. gas, bus, etc.) do not count as they are too intangible to keep track of (you're welcome Matt)
-all toy lines, collectibles, etc. that you collect are to be included - Master replicas, vintage, display cases
-fees for entrance into conventions do not apply nor do associated travel costs - it is presumed you would go anyway, but costs for items purchased at these events are included

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS Opening Weekend Great Collector's Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 11:11 PM »
My current guess: Roughly $650  ::)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 12:32 AM »
I'm only budgeting $30-40 for the weekend.

So I'm a poor college student. I need to save some for the books to buy at the Matt Stover signing, for stuff to buy at Celebration III, and so on. But rest assured I'll be diligently plugging away all summer in $10 - 20 increments. ;)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 12:35 AM »
My guess...  :-X 

I have no bloody idea as I will be very picky on the figures and stuff. I'll just play it by ear.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 12:44 AM »
I'm guessing $50-60, depending on if I locate an Unleashed Grievous or not.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 01:34 AM »
Great?   Bwahahahahaha.  Funny. 

Anyhoo, not terribly much is my estimate.  Walmarts around here are leaking badly and it looks like we've only seen the first 24 arrive.  I have most of what I want from that already, the rest I'm going to wait to get on clearance or loose, hopefully for cheap. 

I've already passed on at least 12 of the first 24, though made up for it by buying 4 red guards already.  Have passed on Lego and the ships as well. 

I'll guess less than $100 if there's not much there.  If later waves arrive, I'll bump that to $300 due to army builders.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

SilverZ

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 02:02 AM »
If my Excel sheet is right, and I find what I still need of the reportedly available items, I'm looking at spending $530.00 on 3-3/4" figures and vehicles. This doesn't include army builders or whim items like Unleashed. I figure about $700.00 total.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 04:52 AM »
Right now, $50-75, depending on WM Early Bird situation.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Anyhoo, not terribly much is my estimate.  Walmarts around here are leaking badly and it looks like we've only seen the first 24 arrive.  I have most of what I want from that already, the rest I'm going to wait to get on clearance or loose, hopefully for cheap. 

The WalMart near me is leaking badly as well - I got into a fight with the lady in toys, a manager and the cashier this morning because there was an open box of Deluxe figures in the action figure aisle. Their problem (with me) was that I pulled the figures from the case. My problem with them was that this was not the first, not the second, but the THIRD time I had found ROTS stuff in the store and been denied sale at the register. I told the manager that every morning I come in and can physically SEE the stuff I'm going to pull a stink in his store - if I'm not "allowed" to buy it, I DON'T EVEN WANT TO SEE IT!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 10:20 AM »
Well, I just totalled what I need to buy (assuming that there will be figures through #40-Mas Amedda)

$205 for 3-3/4"
$40 for Unleashed Obi-Wan and Anakin
6.5% Tax

$260 total

I may hold off on the Jedi until after I open them.  I'll be more than happy to replace some of the crap that came out in 2002, but I may wait for clearance or trading

This would mean I'm at $195 total

So, low side $195 and high side is $260.  I'll see if I have enough fortitude to:

A. Not buy stuff I have coming in cases from EE 2-3 months from now
B.  Go nuts on Army Builders

I can't wait for this weekend though, should be a blast :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 10:28 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this weekend too, lots of great product and the movie looks like it is going to be what we've been waiting for from the prequels.  Good times :).  Here's what I'm looking at spending wise:

3 3/4" Figures - Most of the basic ones, still debating how much to get opening day.  I'll figure around $130-$150 here.

Unleashed - Obi Wan and Anakin for sure, possibly Grievous as well.  $15 a pop, so $45 before tax.

Vehicles - If I see them, ARC 170 ($30), Obi-Wan's Starfighter ($20), and the Boga and AT-RT ($15 each).  Still deciding on vehicles, might wait on some or all of them.  The ones listed here are the ones I would really like to get, with the BARC Speeder, Tri-Droid, and Grievous Wheelie coming later if at all.  Total for Vehicles, $80.

I'll give a rough estimate of $250ish, although I wanted to stay at or below $200, so we'll have to see.  I know the Mrs. would definitely like to see me stay below the $200 number.  I might try to do that.  I'd like to use the excuse that (I'll get this all now, and there won't be much later on), but I know in a movie year, that isn't necessarily true.  I also hope to pick up the Visual Dictionary that day, so tack that on as well I suppose if we're extending this beyond toys.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 10:32 AM »
I don't even want to guess...  :-\

If they have figures through #40 as some are saying, well that's:

38 for carded collection (counting both Red and Blue guard, minus the 3 I grabbed early - yoda/tarful/r2)
41 for loose collection (counting both Red and Blue guard)
6 extras to open (Army builders for guards & clones)

Then, we add in:
4x deluxe figures
2x small vehicles
1x large vehicle

That brings us to:
approx. $474.35 for 85 basic figures ($5.24 at Wal-Mart)
approx. $46.82 for 4 deluxe figures
approx. $23.41 for the small vehicles (BARC, Boga)
approx. $31.94 for the ARC-170

Grand total = $576.52

Of course, it will be more if they have the Mustafar playset or other stuff...   :(
Or, it could be less (by about $25) if I get the Target coupon...  :)

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 10:46 AM »
Well - here it goes - here is my rough estimate...
  • 41 figures carded, 41 figures loose x $5.99 + 6% sales tax = $520.65
  • 4 deluxe figures carded, 4 deluxe figures loose x $9.99 + 6% sales tax = $84.72
  • 2 Large Vehicles MIB, 1 Mustafar Playset MIB, 2 Large Vehicles Open, 1 Mustafar Playset Open x $29.99 + 6% sales tax = $190.74
  • 3 Small Vehicles MIB, 3 Small Vehicles Open x $14.99 + 6% sales tax = $95.34
  • 3 Unleashed MOC, 3 Unleashed Open x $14.99 + 6% sales tax = $95.34
  • 3 Battle Areans MIB, 3 Battle Arenas Open x $19.99 + 6% sales tax = $127.14
  • 3 Target Lava Vaders x $12.99 + 6% sales tax = $41.31
  • 2 WalMart Early Bird Sets x $29.99 + 6% sales tax = $63.58
  • Complete Set of 3 12" Regular Figures x $24.99 + 6% sales tax = $79.47
  • Ultimate Villian Darth Vader 12" Figure x $49.99? + 6% sales tax = $52.99

This makes for a grand total of: $1351.28

I may be off with the price of 12" figures and the Battle Arenas and right now I'm hoping to grab 3 Lava Vaders (one for me MOC, one for me to open and one for my step-grandson - I've gotten him all silver/exclusive figures so far) - so whether or not I'm successful will vary the spending total. I'm also assuming that I'll be able to find all 40 figures, plus the Senate Guard red/blue variants, the first FOUR deluxe figures and the AT-RT (which is Wave 2 of the small vehicles). If any more items come out on the 2nd than what we're all guessing is coming out, my spending will go up (of course).

Does anyone know if my prices are off for anything?

Edited the post to correct my price for the Ultimate Villian Darth Vader based on Jeff's post below...Thanks Jeff!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 11:25 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 11:21 AM »
Ultimate Villian Darth Vader 12" Figure x $29.99? + 6% sales tax = $31.79[/li]

Does anyone know if my prices are off for anything?

They all look pretty close to what we've heard so far, with the exception of the 12" Ultimate Anakin/Vader.

The Hasbro MSRP = $49.99, and Amazon.com had it listed for about the same.  I think it was in the Target and TRU computers for around $40-45.

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 08:22 PM »
Here's the deal:
Keep track of every penny you spend starting on April 2nd.

What about the early leaks a few of us were lucky enough to score?  Does that technically count, since they're supposed to be April 2nd releases?

I'm guessing just for the 4" line around, I'm looking at about $750 those first few days.

I think I'm laying off the prequel stuff for most of the other lines, so "Other Collectibles" and whatnot shouldn't be too overly painful.  Probably just the mini-sabers, and maybe the Titanium series vehicles...