Author Topic: RotS - Deluxe Figures  (Read 39754 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: RotS - Deluxe Figures
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2005, 09:04 PM »
I did the unthinkable today and asked a Target employee if they had any more deluxe figures in the back.  He was very helpful, even though he said that he could check and see if they had any of that assortment but not a specific figure (I told him I was actually wondering about the entire assortment and he said okay), so he called back to the stockroom and asked if they had any more cases.  The stock person said they did not, and I thanked him and left.  Very nice guy and he seemed geniuinely excited about the film himself.

Even though I know it's not the thread for it, Target employees have always been very nice to me and very helpful.  They have gone into the back several times to check on items and have bent over backwards to see if they have what I'm looking for.  Be it the Unleashed Vader last fall or the Slave I, they've always treated me with respect (and I extend to them the same courtesy).  It's reasons like this that I do the majority of my shopping (toy and non-toy) at Target instead of Mega-Lo-Mart next door.

DNS is a good place to order from, although their prices are always a tad higher than retail.  Still, Dave at DNS is very friendly, answers emails timely, stock status is always up to the moment, and shipping/billing has never been a problem.  If I needed to order online from one of the smaller toy retailers, it would definitely be from Dave and DNS.

Oh, and CHEWIE, could you PM me?  I wanted to ask you about some genetically bred soldiers.  ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2005, 11:26 PM »
PM coming your way...

:P

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2005, 01:29 AM »
Jet Trooper - Pretty cool... but no neck or wrist articulation..

The neck does swivel on the Jet Trooper.  All of mine were stuck and a couple needed a lot of force to free the ball joint.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2005, 01:45 AM »
It does swivel?

*runs into toy room*

...Can't get it to swivel.  And I'm not gonna use a pair of plyers.  Guess some things just weren't meant to be.   :-\

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2005, 05:50 PM »
It does swivel?

Yep, and apparently it's on a ball joint like the rest of the Clones too.  You know how I know this?  My attempt to loosen the neck joint resulted in said Clone's head flying completely across the room.  :)

Thankfully I was able to get it back on as it is just a traditional ball joint in socket thing, but it was hard as hell to get it to budge.  I find it really strange that the neck is so damned tight and the hip, knee, waist, and ankle joints are so damned loose.

By the way, is the left elbow "joint" glued together on everyone's or is mine's joint just tight there as well?  I don't want to break his arm or anything to see, as he holds his gun perfect without any swivel, but just doing my homework.

As for the other deluxe figures, Vader is great, although that oven mitt on his right hand is a bit much, Yoda is amazingly cool (well, the Can-Cell is anyway, but the fact that Yoda can sit on it (AAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!) without falling off is a big plus, and the Vulture Droid is just one of the ones from the Episode I three pack of TF Droid Fighters with slight retooling on the bottom (there is no peg to hook it into the armature of the E1 versions) and a new paint job.  The Buzz Droid is the same one as packed in with the Tri-Droid Fighter, but with a nicer paint job and no little peg on its foot to hook it into the Jedi Starfighters.

As for the Clone, I'm not terribly impressed.  I mean, the figure is nice enough I suppose, but the missle launchers on the jet pack don't work worth a damn and the lack of ball jointed elbows and right wrist articulation on what is supposedly a "deluxe" figure detract a few points for me.

Which brings to mind another question I have about the Deluxe figures.  In my world (where, as always I am ruler supreme of all that I survey and Giada DeLaurentis is my wife), I've always thought of Deluxe (the word as it applies to normal things) to indicate that it is either bigger or better.  The POTJ and Saga Deluxe figures followed this really well, but so far, the ROTS stuff has been really lacklusted in terms of value as compared to a regular figure.

From the first wave, I would only count Sidious and Anakin as being truly deluxe figures (and each of them could have used some more detailing), with the Grievous' only difference with the basic figure being the paint detail and the direction of the action feature (one opens up, one swings) and the Obi-Wan being a complete abortion that should have never made it past the initial conceptual meetings at Hasbro.

In the second wave, Vader fits the description, and I'm really surprised that Hasbro didn't try to fit the Can-Cell into the small vehicle assortment with the Boga, AT-RT, BARC, and Wookiee Chopper, so it fits.  The Clone's jetpack could have been included with a basic Clone, and the Vulture Droid ends up costing you more than what one of the three TPM Droids would have cost if they had been sold individually back in 1999.  So, out of eight so far, in my mind, we have four that truly classify as Deluxe figures.

And in the next wave, we've got super cool figure with a Speeder Bike that will probably blow up if you look at it crossways, a three pack of minimally articulated army builders (good for army builders, though), a droid that sucked the first time around, and another droid that may or may not be totally out of scale and/or inaccurate to the film version.

Oh well, at least Obi-Wan might have some company when the Dwarf Spider Droid is released.  :)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 2, 2005, 11:12 AM »
I picked up a case of Wave 2 today at WalMart - unfortunately the packaging on all of them was trashed so I ended up leaving one of the Vaders behind.

I've opened up the Vulture Droid, one of the Jet-Pack Clones and the Vader here at work. The Vader is FANTASTIC. This is the deluxe Vader figure that should have been released first. While I do like the quick change Anakin/Vader figure - there really isn't a point to it when you have a deluxe figure like this second Vader come right after it.

The Jet-pack Clone is great. I know some of you don't like the lack of articulation on the trooper, but I'm fine with that and I'm glad I didn't put the second one back - my Clone army needs at least TWO aerial combat units.

The Vulture Droid is nice - I'm glad they didn't try the split wing legs like they did on the 3 Droid Fighter set for TPM. I don't mind this being a repaint/re-release or the price. I would have preferred that the Buzz droid have a peg like the ones that came with the Droid Tri-fighter to plug into the sockets on Anakin and Obi-Wan's starfighters.

I think this assortment is completely messed up - I can see Vader and Jet-pack Clonetrooper being INCREDIBLY popular. Why not just release a wave of just those two figures - three of each in the case? Everyone loves Vader and the army builders are going to snatch up the clone.

Yoda and the Vulture droid could have been saved for the next assortment, just throw in either the Clone Troopers or the Dwarf Spider Droid and you're set with that assortment. I don't see why demand of those two deluxe figures would be any less - to me the Vulture Droid is an army builder in its own right.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 6, 2005, 12:49 PM »
I got Clone w/ Jet Pack today through a Trade...it is OK, but definately not worth the stress of finding one since he has the same articulation as the POTF 2 Deluxe "Crowd Control" Stormtrooper.  With all the good clones, it is just a bit of a let down. And definately not worth the title and price of "Deluxe".  That being said I will of course buy 3 more if I ever find them...I mean come on...it is  a Clone with a Jet pack....the only thing cooler is a Clone with Articualtion and a Jetpack...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 6, 2005, 01:15 PM »
Yeah, I was let down by him too.  He does have a bit more articulation than a regular figure though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 6, 2005, 01:47 PM »
For those interested, I noticed that the Yoda w/Cancell, Vader w/Med Table, and Clone w/Jetpack are all in stock at the HasbroToyShop now, $9.99 each.  I went ahead and ordered one of each, since the price was basically retail, and our pegs are jammed with the first wave here right now.  If I find them at retail, I can always cancel it I guess.  Not shipping until 5/16.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #129 on: May 6, 2005, 02:59 PM »
I've had my Yoda and Cancell for a while and it plain rocks.   Yesterday I got the table Vader, OH YEAH, and the flying clone, hmmm.  What is up with those missiles?  The clone should have been a regular fig.  The AT-TE gunner has a stand about the size of the jetpack so if you put the jetpack at the bottom of the package, it is a regular figure.

I have to agree with Dr Padawan.  Only a handful of the new "deluxe" are actual deluxe figures.  The rest are just Hasbros way of saying take the good with the super bad. 

You can actually get the E1 droid fighters (vulture droid) 3-pack for $3 online at Yestertoys.com.  Then take the actual vulture transforming droid and paint it any which way your heart desires and still have money left over for a smart chicken dinner at KFC :P
Gatillo

You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

SilverZ

« Reply #130 on: May 6, 2005, 09:29 PM »
I see that the Vulture Droid is also shipping with paint variants... not minor ones, but actual color variations. One green, one blue. That's great, especially at one per case.  ::)

This year is going to put my patience to the test and stress it to its outermost limits.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 6, 2005, 10:55 PM »
...Paint variants you say? I just nabbed the last 3 at Target, and found none to be green. Just blue. Some one cleaned out the rest of the stuff, and the clerk wouldn't look in the back, to see if they had their exclusive figures in.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

SilverZ

« Reply #132 on: May 6, 2005, 11:36 PM »
Thank you, Entertainment Earth. They had Wave 2 in stock today. I can just drive over and get them on Monday or Tuesday. I'll have to deal with the variant issue still, but at least this is some progress.

The hoarders, scalpers, and speculators that are sucking up every last new figure in the stores can bite me. Actually, TRU, Walmart, and Target can bite me as well. I'm sick of driving all over hell and gone trying to find these things at $2.70 a gallon.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 7, 2005, 04:18 AM »
The hoarders, scalpers, and speculators that are sucking up every last new figure in the stores can bite me. Actually, TRU, Walmart, and Target can bite me as well. I'm sick of driving all over hell and gone trying to find these things at $2.70 a gallon.

Word. I just wish I lived closer to EE.  :)
I remember my dream now.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 9, 2005, 04:24 PM »
I found the greenish-brown variant of the Vulture Droid today - only one though thanks the wonderful case pack assortment.

I already have two of the blue version so there is a very discernable difference between the two. I guess in ROTS there will be Vulture Droids with the new scheme and with the EP1 scheme.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!