Author Topic: Target Figure with Cup Sets  (Read 40954 times)

Offline darkksith

• Youngling
  • Completest Crazy!!
    • View Profile
Target Figure with Cup Sets
« on: April 4, 2005, 06:29 PM »
has anybody that bought the target exclusive grievous cup / figure set compared the figure to the regular release wave 1 fig? i have read that the cape and paint app is considerbly different. also heard that the clone does not have the action feature. is this true?
« Last Edit: April 4, 2005, 08:25 PM by Nataku »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: target cup / figure sets - grievous and clone
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2005, 06:53 PM »
I wasn't able to nab those two, only the Obi-Wan set, so I can't confirm that.  That'd be rather annoying to a lot of the loose completists though, if there were some modifications to these figures.  Don't recall them doing that to any of the first five figures that came with the cups, so it'd be surprising (though clever) if they started doing that now.

Doesn't really matter in my collecting though, since I have to have an opened and packaged cup anyway, and therefore the figure too.  I just hope they get back to some of those other OT ones that they'd originally planned for last year, like the Han, Boba, etc...

Did anyone here wind up buying those off of Amazon Japan last month?  Any word on whether those were ever sent out by them or not?

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2005, 06:55 PM »
I can't speak for Grevious but the clone and Obi are the same. The open hand that comes with the cup version of Obi is the same as the alternate hand found in the the bubble of the standard card version.  Also, the Clonetrooper does have the quick draw action. I emailed Yakface and the guy, Bill, has neither replied nor corrected his hastry assumption. In his post, he put "It appears that". WTF? Why post if you don't have the facts?  These are the facts.

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2005, 07:29 PM »
I compared the SP Grievous with the Target Cup version after reading their post, and it is certainly incorrect. I can spot no difference in paint apps between the two figures.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Target Figure with Cup Sets
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2005, 09:23 PM »
Thats good to know, once i read that there were differences I was thinking about picking them up, but if they are the same i can pass.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2005, 10:26 PM »
I can confirm the same - I have all three cups and I opened a set of 'em and they are all identical figures...

Obi-Wan Cup figure = Obi-Wan III-#1
General Grievous Cup figure = Sneak Preview General Grievous
CloneTrooper Cup figure = CloneTrooper III-#6
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2005, 07:08 AM »
Hey - now that there are 3 cups for ROTS and 1 cup for each of the other movies - does anyone know what ever happened with that second wave of OT cups w/figures?

Granted the pack-in figures sucked, but I still would love to add cups for Han, Yoda and Boba Fett to my collection. I wouldn't mind a couple more cups for TPM and AOTC either...

I know the three second wave OT cups were up for sale at Amazon in Japan, but did anyone hear about someone who ordered them and got them shipped to them?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2005, 11:52 AM »
I know the three second wave OT cups were up for sale at Amazon in Japan, but did anyone hear about someone who ordered them and got them shipped to them?

No, no one I know who ordered them (including me) ever got them.  My order was cancelled with a "we are not expecting this anymore" type e-mail.  :(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 5, 2005, 01:11 PM »

No, no one I know who ordered them (including me) ever got them.  My order was cancelled with a "we are not expecting this anymore" type e-mail.  :(

Jeff

I wonder then if those three sets are going to be like the second wave of cantina figures that WalMart cancelled after they were well into production.

I know someone had a set of three on eBay a while back - whomever won that auction must be pretty happy right about now...
Peter

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen these at retail since the opening weekend?  I went to Target right away on April 2 morning, and they had all three, but I left the Grievous one thinking I could get it later.  Last I saw they were still online, but I was wondering if anyone else is still seeing these at retail?  I wonder if this was a "one shot deal" type of thing or not?

Oops...check that, I see now that all three are out of stock at Target.com.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 11:57 AM by mosnab »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 01:27 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen these at retail since the opening weekend?  I went to Target right away on April 2 morning, and they had all three, but I left the Grievous one thinking I could get it later.  Last I saw they were still online, but I was wondering if anyone else is still seeing these at retail?  I wonder if this was a "one shot deal" type of thing or not?

Oops...check that, I see now that all three are out of stock at Target.com.

Here in MN, I see the Grievous and Obi-Wan sets from time to time, but the Clone Trooper Cup Sets are no where to be found...

Of course, we kinda figured that'd be the hardest of the 3 to nab.  $10 for an army builder and cup isn't a bad deal!  Much better than $10 for a cup and a Sneak Preivew re-hash...  :P

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 01:46 PM »
I've only ever seen the Obi-Wan set, and even at MM, there were only a couple of the Clone & Grievous ones that got snatched up immediately.  The search continues...  But considering all the prior cup sets got massively clearanced out, I'd suspect it shouldn't be too overly difficult trackin all of these down eventually.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 07:46 AM »
I have seen these at my local Targets again (post MM) - I didn't need them since I got two complete sets on the 2nd. I think these (like the Lava Reflection Vader) will be shipping to Target for a while yet. Anything that is on their planogram until July (which the cups are), indicates that Target anticipates the item to be a regularly replenished product throughout the next couple of months...
Peter

Offline Aaron_D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 03:49 AM »
I've only ever seen the Obi-Wan set

Me too.  I'm wondering if I should be getting a little nervous now since it's been a whole month and there's still not a Grievous or Clone cup set to be found anywhere near me.  Are you guys having better luck where you live, or is everyone in the same general boat with these items?

I just want to keep my cup set complete, so hopefully there's more on the way in the near future.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 04:22 AM »
All I've ever found has been the Obi-Wan set. Even if I don't find the other two (which seems less likely every day) I at least have a cup for each flick.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk