Author Topic: Target Figure with Cup Sets  (Read 40959 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Target Figure with Cup Sets
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 03:11 PM »
A Target Employee in Washington State snagged me one (clone), and I'm re-embersing him. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 04:27 PM »
I finally picked up a Clone cup. I see them ever so often, so I decided to grab one because sooner or later they'll dissappear. I've passed on all the previous plastic cups, since I still use the superior collectors glasses from years back. Star Wars as well as some nice Smurf ones I found. (Beer goes well in a Lazy Smurf glass).

The Clone cup is actually kinda cool looking.  I'm going a little overboard on clones anyway.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 04:28 PM by Xander »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 06:03 PM »
Today I saw three Obi-Wans and one Grievous. Still no sign of clones.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 6, 2005, 09:29 AM »
It looks like Hasbro has updated on the Target Exclusive cup and figure sets, which have been out for a month now :P.  After a lull post April 2nd, these have shown up again around here, with the Clone sets selling out and the other two sitting for awhile now.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 6, 2005, 12:02 PM »
I've seen the Obi-wan and grevious cups at a target.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 12:32 PM »
Just curious if those of you who have picked these up, do you open them or leave them in the boxes.  I have the 3 ROTS sets, as well as the 3 that have been released from the OT (never saw the Anakin cup, and passed on Maul...probably should have gotten them...maybe later).  Anyways, right now I just have them stacked 2 by 2 on a shelf, in their boxes, for no real reason other than it is convenient right now.  But, looking at my vintage BK sets, I have thought about opening them and displaying all the glasses together somehow in a case/on a shelf (even though they aren't "exactly" the same).  Anyways, just curious if any of you open them up, or do you just leave them in their boxes?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 12:45 PM »
Mine is in the mail, and I have every intention of opening it up.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 01:42 PM »
Just curious if those of you who have picked these up, do you open them or leave them in the boxes.  I have the 3 ROTS sets, as well as the 3 that have been released from the OT (never saw the Anakin cup, and passed on Maul...probably should have gotten them...maybe later).  Anyways, right now I just have them stacked 2 by 2 on a shelf, in their boxes, for no real reason other than it is convenient right now.  But, looking at my vintage BK sets, I have thought about opening them and displaying all the glasses together somehow in a case/on a shelf (even though they aren't "exactly" the same).  Anyways, just curious if any of you open them up, or do you just leave them in their boxes?

I bought two complete sets of these - so I now have a total of eight Target cups which I've added to the collection of 12 BK glasses from the 70s/80s. Yes, they aren't "exactly" the same - but the ESB glasses were of a different design/shape anyway, so that doesn't bother me, neither does the fact that the BK ones are glass and the Target ones are plastic.

So for my MIB collection I kept a set un-opened and for my Star Wars cup/glass collection I got another set.

I don't mind these as much as other people do. To be honest, there are some really minor changes they could do with them and EASILY make these sets more appealing...

AOTC cup w/Anakin - if they had instead shipped the cup with the Secret Ceremony Anakin w/o the cloak and changed the hand to a flesh one, that would have been a great variation that many people wouldn't mind seeing.

ROTS cup w/Clone - the largest clone graphic on this set is the Clone Commander - change the color of the artwork to match Commander Bly and include a yellow deco Clone Commander instead. Commander Bly isn't an army builder figure to most so all this will do is drive up demand for the set 'cause everyone would want one.

ESB cup w/Snowspeeder Pilot Luke - Use the head from the first Bespin Luke and have a removeable rebel pilot helmet as an accessory. Just like was pictured on the packaging.

cancelled ANH cup w/Han Solo - use the VOTC figure instead and paint gray/black gloves on him like he wears when he's flying the falcon - also pack him with a black/silver version of the headset accessory that came with Pilot Obi-Wan so you can mimic how he looked during the dog fight with the TIEs

cancelled ROTJ cup w/Boba Fett - use  the VOTC Boba Fett figure, but modify it so it is a removeable helmet version with a Jango Fett head. Better yet, scrap making a ROTJ cup w/Boba Fett and instead make an AOTC cup w/Jango Fett and use the SA VOTC Boba Fett figure as the basis for the Jango.

In fact, if you take the entire second wave of OT cups - and instead pack in the VOTC versions (Han, Yoda and Boba) and leave them exactly as they were in the VOTC release, that alone makes the sets more appealing IMHO.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 04:36 PM »
I opened mine and I will even go as far as saying that I use them.  :o
Gatillo
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 04:39 PM »
I usually open everything but since these can be viewed easily enough, I stack 'em.
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: June 6, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Has anyone heard of new cup sets coming out?  There's some conflicting reports coming out of SoCal right now that those old OTC sets may be hitting, in new ROTS packaging?  Can anyone confirm that?

Went to the RSM Target...They had nothing worth mentioning, except the older OTC Cups in ROTS Packaging. I didn't know those were coming out...

Actually, they're new cups aren't they, with different OT figures? Han, Boba and Yoda...

It also sounds like along with the figure price hikes, Target's now jacked up all the Cup set prices to a whopping $12.99.  Idiots.  ::)

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I see that GH just confirmed that.  Bummed that they stuck the OT stuff in the ROTS packaging.  That's just lame, and doesn't bode well for upcoming OT product in the 4th quarter of this year.  I figured with the newer Legos still being under OTC, and the Holo Leia in that design as well, that they'd stick with it for OT type of product.  I don't like them mixing the two trilogies up like this, especially on characters that don't span both of them...  :(
« Last Edit: June 6, 2005, 08:37 PM by JediMAC »

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 6, 2005, 08:46 PM »
I see we have a thread here too!! (I just posted in the Saga section on these).  Someone in the RS prop pm'd me about these so I am pretty excited to see these available.  Too bad Target can charge three bucks more and get away with it (since I'll buy them as soon as I see 'em).  I know I really shouldn't but these are some of the few things I won't go without, no matter what the price. :P

Now, let's hope the lone U.P. Target comes through!!
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: June 6, 2005, 09:03 PM »
I see we have a thread here too!! (I just posted in the Saga section on these).

Yeah, and IIRC, I think we may have one in the OTC section too, where we were expecting these 3 cups to actually show up.  So, what's the going price on a set of them from the OTC Japan line?  I have a bad feeling I'm gonna have to pony up for those now...  :'(

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: June 6, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Yeah, and IIRC, I think we may have one in the OTC section too, where we were expecting these 3 cups to actually show up.  So, what's the going price on a set of them from the OTC Japan line?  I have a bad feeling I'm gonna have to pony up for those now...  :'(

Actually, they were NEVER "officially" released in Japan as other sites would have you believe.

As an intrepid reporter once said, only salesman samples ever showed up on eBay for the cup sets in the OTC packaging.  Only a VERY few ever showed up on eBay, like 1-3 sets that I ever saw, all from the same seller.

Amazon Japan took pre-orders, but the pre-orders were never filled, they just kept postponing the due date every month for about 9 months, then finally gave up.

In fact, most Japanese e-tailers that still have the OTC version for pre-order now mention the new packaging.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #29 on: June 6, 2005, 11:15 PM »
That's a relief, Jeff. I went scouring around amazon.co.jp for the cups, and saw that they were still listed, but obviously not in stock.

I don't know what I'm looking forward to less - paying the hiked 12.99 for the cup, or paying 12.99 and getting another Cantina Han for my troubles.

How has it worked out that Target has had eight 3-3/4" exclusives this year, thus far, and instead of being happy about the fact that so many toys have made it to retail, I hate their guts as a store more with every release?

Opportunistic rehash pimping rat bastards. Why is Hasbro encouraging this ****?